INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reverting to default settings or updating Id firmware causes duplicate UUIDs  (Read 3530 times)

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck

We have two Ids in our system. For a while, we had noticed that their media network devices had the same UUID's, and that they somehow got assigned the same library Access Key, but we could not figure out how that happened. (see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95540)

Now I think I know. It turns out that the process of using the "77 - Revert to default settings (HDMI, no library)" resets both Ids to the same values. For what it's worth, both of these Ids had been updated with various beta firmwares, including versions 1, 3, and 6. Installing these firmwares also had the same effect.

common values:

Access Key:                       LBaaDO
Library Server:         uuid:ec2bca61-06fe-4583-a370-1dfc99a3dcbb
(Audiophile 24-bit DAC):   uuid:dfaccb61-88d9-451f-aaed-70abb338560c
(NoConversion):         uuid:e706dd73-99ab-4111-8599-ad7bc3d9c6ec
id-xxxxxxxxxxxx:      uuid:fc9fad10-5759-47fb-b3e7-20e93717a5b0

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck

Since we have 2 Ids on the same network, we could not really have them using the same Access Key and UUID's. Resetting the Access Key was pretty easy (go through Options --> Media Network in the JRiver MC GUI), but changing the UUID's was a bit of a problem, since there is currently no way to do it.

For now, I hacked into the "/home/media/.jriver_user/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini" file on the Id's internal drive and modified it as described here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95540.msg659077#msg659077

...but it'd be really nice if there were a much more straightforward way of going about it.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

The revert to default settings function should have reverted to the settings when the Id was created which were supposed to be unique. A few escaped with duplicate access keys which can be fixed as you say with a reset.

There was also a problem with the access key in the first few betas that were released but that is supposed to be fixed in the latest.
I'll check and make sure the uuid's are getting recreated in the firmware reinstall.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck

I tested it just now with beta 6. Even after resetting the Access Key, the UUID's on my Id remain the same as shown on the list above. Maybe we happen to have those Ids that escaped with duplicate access keys?

Thanks for checking into this.

bob

• Administrator

I tested it just now with beta 6. Even after resetting the Access Key, the UUID's on my Id remain the same as shown on the list above. Maybe we happen to have those Ids that escaped with duplicate access keys?

Thanks for checking into this.
I see the problem.
I think I'm going to make an option during the firmware update to try to reuse the existing configuration (settings and libraries) or to generate the settings from scratch which will create new uuids and have an empty library.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck

Sounds good! I'll be looking forward to testing it. :)

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck

Excellent!!!  I booted to the beta 7 firmware USB stick, chose "Repair" --> "4 - Restore the Id firmware" --> "Try to preserve settings and Library?" and answered "n". The repair process did its thing. When I rebooted, all the settings and libraries were cleaned out, but this time, I had totally new network UUID's! I tried it again, and got a totally different set of UUID's. Hooray!  :D

Now when I choose the "77 - Revert to default settings (HDMI, no library)", it reverts me to whatever set of UUID's I had after I flashed the firmware and told it to reset the settings, not the duplicate ones that existed before. Also good! This is what I would want and expect.

I did notice that the library Access Key got reset to the old "LBaaDO" in the restore-firmware-without-preserving-settings process. I am not sure if this is good or not (haven't played it out in my head yet), but in any case, it is easy enough to change through the Id GUI if it gives me problems.

Thank you so much for your help!

bob

• Administrator

Excellent!!!  I booted to the beta 7 firmware USB stick, chose "Repair" --> "4 - Restore the Id firmware" --> "Try to preserve settings and Library?" and answered "n". The repair process did its thing. When I rebooted, all the settings and libraries were cleaned out, but this time, I had totally new network UUID's! I tried it again, and got a totally different set of UUID's. Hooray!  :D

Now when I choose the "77 - Revert to default settings (HDMI, no library)", it reverts me to whatever set of UUID's I had after I flashed the firmware and told it to reset the settings, not the duplicate ones that existed before. Also good! This is what I would want and expect.

I did notice that the library Access Key got reset to the old "LBaaDO" in the restore-firmware-without-preserving-settings process. I am not sure if this is good or not (haven't played it out in my head yet), but in any case, it is easy enough to change through the Id GUI if it gives me problems.

Thank you so much for your help!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it worked. I knew about the access key but figured it could just be reset in the GUI MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up