INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo through VPN  (Read 3131 times)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
Gizmo through VPN
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:40:36 pm »

I connect to my home network using a VPN. When Gizmo is running on my Android and I'm not on home Wifi it says I'm 'on the bus' and tries and fails to connect to the public IP for my home broadband using 4G (I haven't published the Media Server port on my router). Is there a way to get it to talk through the VPN? I prefer the security etc... The phone can see my Media Server PC through the VPN and browse file shares etc, just need Gizmo it to use the right IP.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Gizmo through VPN
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:10 pm »

It works, it just needs some special config. The secret is not to use the access key for your server;  you need to enter the local ip address of the server plus ":52199".

So for example, if your server's local ip is 192.168.1.1, you'd enter 192.168.1.1:52199 instead of the access code in gizmo.  I don't know why the access code doesn't work through the vpn, but it doesn't.  Other than that, it works perfectly.

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:20:11 am »

Or you talk to your VPN provider that they open the port, you have dedicated to Gizmo.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:07:42 am »

Awesome thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. The VPN server is my own, should be no port access issues.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:21 am »

Or you talk to your VPN provider that they open the port, you have dedicated to Gizmo.

Yeah I was talking about a homebrew VPN , not a commercial one.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:54 pm »

I tried connecting with the IP and port and it works great. Only one problem, I can't edit the track ratings! I know you needed to turn on authentication for Gizmo to enable this, sounds like I'm bypassing this by putting in the IP/Port instead of the password? Is this a caveat or is there a fix? If it's a problem can we have a fix for the next version?

One more question, I see in the options that 320Kbps is the highest you can stream in. These days lossless CD quality is starting to become the new music streaming benchmark. When do the developers plan to increase streaming quality? Could they even add 24Bit 96Khz support or is that just crazy! :)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 02:51:08 am »

I created a new library wifor connecting through VPN by entering the IP address and port as suggested 192.168.1.xxx:52199 but it does not work ...
what is port number 52199? I Opened this port on my router for both UDP and TCP. No joy ...
Thanks
p.s. teamviewer works perfectly with VPN
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 04:53:03 am »

If your VPN is homebrew (e.g. runs on your router) you wouldn't need to be opening that port on your router so i would close it again to keep things secure. Connection to your VPN should open full access to all ports on your local network (by default). You might have some firewalling on the PC running JRiver I would be checking that first.

To test if Gizmo's port is accessible on your Media Center PC use a different PC or laptop connected to your LAN and browse to the Gizmo web address: e.g. http://192.168.0.1:52199/Gizmo/library.html. Obviously change the IP to match your JRiver media center machine. If you're not prompted to authenticate and the page is inaccessible then either the port is blocked by a firewall on your Media Center PC or the media server isn't running.

One thing to note is if you've enabled the JRiver Media Server to run at startup you still have to login to the Media Center PC to get it running, it doesn't run as a background service, although I seriously wish it would! If anyone knows otherwise on that subject please chime in I would love to get it running as a background service.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 06:16:51 am »

52199 is the port that MC or JRemote or Gizmo use to open the connection.  It is an arbitrary port, but it must be open all the way.

Please read this topic on our wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »

cannot find neither 'vpn' nor 52199 on this page
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:12 pm »

I cannot find a way to make all of this working ...
I used a port different that 52199 - say 6844 - so I changed it to 52199. I have then opened on my router for both TCP and UDP ...
What makes it worst is that if I disable VPN I cannot access the server from either my intranet nor from internet ...
I think I messed up something :(
Stereo:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

The article I linked above should tell you what you need to do.

We can't support your VPN.  I would disable it and get the routing done correctly without it.

The router just needs to forward the packets to the right machine (IP Address or MAC address).

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:59 am »

Thanks
The reason was AVG: I installed the internet protection package and it blocked something ... I tried to change the firewall rules without success so I uninstalled it
I can now use JRiver in my intranet but I still have a problem with webgizmo from outside
VPN create a new IP for outside acces say <VPN IP> which expose the internet on behalf of the original <ISP IP>

If think the issue is that the router open the 52199 por on rge <ISP IP> (2.230...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e254k8x7dqw664/Screenshot%202017-04-09%2011.39.40.png?dl=0

if i try http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
on <VPN_IP>:52199 it is reported as colosed ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsxqs6nv2t0w7ch/Screenshot%202017-04-09%2011.49.53.png?dl=0
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up