INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NUC for ID - JRiver stock model or later version?  (Read 4129 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
NUC for ID - JRiver stock model or later version?
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:13:06 pm »

I start loving the idea of the Id. It was hard for me to understand the value proposition, since I never set up a media network, don't watch a lot of movies and never saw a need to stream music simultaneously in various rooms. Anyway, and despite the fact that I just bought some Sonos to understand their offering, I am now convinced that I want to stick with JRiver and move the server from PC to a dedicated HW.
Some questions remain.

Looking at Intel's web site, it is clear that ID's hardware is outdated and its specs are outmatched by all current models. That's where I would like to understand better the current Id offering and the decision to not upgrade to newer and more powerful HW. There might be great reasons and simply no need to upgrade?

- is the current model just simply good enough for a JRiver Server (what are the limits)?
- is it a compromise to keep costs down?
- is it because newer models consume more power?
- are newer models more noisy / require more cooling?

If the newer NUC models are better HW for a JRiver server - not just specs but in true performance - than buying one plus the new Id boot stick might be an alternate? Though Bob's comments on the video card requirements made me doubtful (would be great if his post would include the compatible NUC models, not chipset requirements. Man, there is so much research required with JRiver, thats were I really just love Sonos)
I'd appreciate insights from the experts on this forum :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NUC for ID - JRiver stock model or later version?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:24:05 pm »

If you're going to build your own using the Id Kit, the safest course would be to use the NUC 2820.

It installs Linux, the Id firmware, and MC.

Easier would be to purchase the Id already installed on a NUC we sell.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »

Thanks, Jim.
I agree there is no point building my own using the 2820 - since you sell it ready to go.
I'd like to understand the limits of that version though, or reasons why the 2820 is the best option. It just seems odd these days to not buy current technology. As good as the price for the ID is, it's still money I want to make sure is well spent.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:09:36 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by "current technology".  The 2820 has been very dependable and effective for the Id.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:15:45 am »

Sorry, I don't want to create a wrong impression here. I have no doubts that 2820 works fine.

My question was: is there any specific reason why that model and not one with technology that is more powerful - and maybe newer -  than 2820? If so, what are the reasons that make the 2820 the most suitable?
2820 might have been the optimal choice when it came out, but maybe the later versions have features that in real life make the ID better

Since they are quite easy to build yourself - especially since you offer now the usb stick to boot it from - I think the question is reasonable given the various offerings of Intel.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:41 am »

The USB Kit Id isn't a boot stick.  It's a build stick.  You can use it to make an Id.

You could use other NUC's, but for audio, there is no significant reason to do so.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:44:59 pm »

I recycle this thread as my question is similar...

I just ordered the USB kit, (it's more convenient - shipping&custom - for people living in Europe) and I'm considering the last models of NUC; can somebody confirm the new models are compatibles?

http://www.Intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html

Thanks
Marco

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

I recycle this thread as my question is similar...

I just ordered the USB kit, (it's more convenient - shipping&custom - for people living in Europe) and I'm considering the last models of NUC; can somebody confirm the new models are compatibles?

http://www.Intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html

Thanks
Marco

The ones we've tested are the DN2820, DE3815, D54250 and NUC5i3MYHE

The first 3 work as is the last one requires a somewhat newer build that's just about ready to go.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:07:32 pm »

thanks Otello for resurrecting my question :D
And thanks Bob for the answer - I am glad you chimed in. I had already given up after the previous replies.

Otello, it would be awesome if you could share experience with what ever NUC model you share!

phoscu

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:43 pm »

Hello,
I'm just wondering why everybody is just talking about convenience and power saving factors. The Id seems to have a great advantage over a standard HTPC in terms of noise and jitter due to its stripped down application and an external power supply. Is there any information about the Id's performance in comparison to a dedicated windows server with JPLAY? Does the standard NUC have an advantage in this regard to more powerful NUC's?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
JRiver CEO Elect

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:00:20 pm »

the NUC that JRiver is using is the one with the lowest power consumption, based on Intel's site.

Here's some assumptions for offer ;)
I assume the lower power consumption has to do with the processor and that in turn with the heat it is producing; bigger & 'hotter' processor will require more cooling = more noise. This could be the advantage of the Id's hardware, of course it's cheap, too.

If the performance suffers - dunno

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 09:54:04 pm »

Here is a review I did of the 2820 and it is still going strong.  The benefits of the 2820 is it has a great Cost/Performance ratio.  It is cheap, has plenty of ports etc, and is powerful enough for mainstream use.  By comparison, my testing of the Stick would indicate that there are a number of compromises where I don't think it is as good Value for Money for my situation as it has some limitations that the older 2820 does not have when it comes to video playback.

Sure there are newer, more powerful NUC now out but they also cost more and if that "extra" performance is not tapped by the media you play it is arguable a waste.  That said, as stuff like 4K becomes more mainstream and if you want processing like ROHQ then you are going to have to buy a more powerful and expensive setup.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up