INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY server with NUC - Windows or Linux? Which JRiver?  (Read 3324 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
DIY server with NUC - Windows or Linux? Which JRiver?
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:44 pm »

If I was to build a server from scratch using a NUC, what are the recommendations for operating system and version of JRiver? The goal would be of course that I'd had to touch the device as few times as possible, that SW updates are automated as much as possible.
- Windows
- Linux with standard JRiver for Linux
- ID based on the boot stick that just came out

If all offer the same functionality would it come down to stability? Performance? Easy of maintenance?

Thanks for your insights!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DIY server with NUC - Windows or Linux? Which JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:03 pm »

Why not go for an Id?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »

I might go for an Id - but would like to understand two aspects for pulling the trigger.

1) what's the advantages of Id over a DIY, based on what ever operating system (how is Id software different)
2) the Id hardware is not current, so I'd like to understand why the 28xx NUC is still the best fit.

Btw - "Id" now is more then the initial NUC offering, which really was an appliance. Now it's available in a number of different formats (USB boot stick, CompuStick, original Id on NUC). So when before we talked about an appliance, it's now not so clear anymore. More options means comparison makes sense, and that's what i try to do :D

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:16 am »

Well, as you probably know from the other thread, I just ordered the USB kit, but I think I may partially answer your question.

Of course Linux is more efficient than Windows, so it'd be the best solution for a small computer; if  you are a Linux-geek you may well configure your Linux installation to have what you get with the Id; the problem is: are you a Linux-geek?
I'm not, and with almost 30 years experience with computers I feel safe saying that one of the most frustrating situation I had is trying to be a part-time Unix/Linux user...
No way, as far as I'm concerned; for the record, last week I made another try: I installed a Mint Debian distribution and I fall in the same problems I've seen for years: documents always referring to an obsolete version, (and of course they have just changed what you're looking for), you try to install a package, you get an error msg, so you dig again in the net since, few hours later, finally you find another doc explaining the package as changed name, etc, etc...

Bottom line: I have a life, I've no reason to become a full-time Linux user (and more likely I'm to old, too  ;) ), soooo: I ordered the Id USB kit.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:56:52 am »

I reckon that that makes a great deal of sense. As much as I'd like to get some hands on with Linux it probably is smarter to follow your advice.
Consider an Id be ordered ;).
Still keen to hear about your future experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up