INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a downside to Fix broken links set to yes ?  (Read 917 times)

culliganman

Is there a downside to Fix broken links set to yes ?
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

I moved my audio files from D: drive to an SD card called E:
I ended up with duplicate files that showed up with a red dash in MC.
I tried using a Smartlist to show duplicates but then was stuck with manually deleting
thousands of files.
Even though D: was not listed in Import the files still showed up. I don't quite understand that.  ?
I then discovered in Import, Fix broken links: and I set that to Yes.
This deleted all the duplicate files.

What I would like to know is what is the downside to leaving Fix broken links: Yes in Media Import settings.
The reason I ask is that it is not set to Yes as a default so I figure there must be a downside.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Is there a downside to Fix broken links set to yes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:02 am »

The switch (checkbox) for "Protect Files On Missing Drives" makes the difference.

If not set to protect, then a removable drive being unplugged could cause an unintended loss of file entries in the library for these files.
. . . the game is rigged

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a downside to Fix broken links set to yes ?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:45 am »

Some files do not support having tags written to them, or only some tags are written to them.
If they are removed, and then import sees them as new files, you may lose any custom tagging work you have done.

This used to happen if you moved an SACD ISO for example. I forget whether it still happens.
I have the automatic clean-up disabled now because I try to manage all my files from within MC now, so if a file goes missing I want a record of it, rather than having it removed from the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up