INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo Remote - Custom Icons - Sent to another device  (Read 2833 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
Gizmo Remote - Custom Icons - Sent to another device
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:38:55 pm »

Really liking Gizmo and the capability to use it on my "home" tablet.

A couple of questions that I have

1) I have created my own views -  Kids, Wife's, etc.   The issue is that each of them get a stock looking icon.  Can I change the icon and how?
2) I have a MC server hosting the library, another machine (call it TV MC) that sits has my stereo connected to it and the Gizmo.   The "TV MC" gets its library from the server. Is it possible to send a song/video to the "TV MC" from Gizmo?  I can only seem to play "here" or "server" and not to the other MC

Finally, is Gizmo the right remote I should be using? I saw some discussion about EOS, JRemote, etc.  I'm primarily an Android house

Many Thanks

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo Remote - Custom Icons - Sent to another device
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:38:04 am »

1) I have created my own views -  Kids, Wife's, etc.   The issue is that each of them get a stock looking icon.  Can I change the icon and how?

No.  This feature is requested several times a week it seems!  See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96102.msg662919#msg662919, and please support the request in the linked request thread with a +1.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:46 am »

Thanks csimon.  I already did +1

Anyone know about the playing to another MC?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

Anyone know about the playing to another MC?

Two methods (either one will work, you don't need both):

1) On the computer you would like to play to, enable media network and write down the access key.  Then enter the access key for that computer into into Gizmo as another "library".  When you want to control "TV MC" log Gizmo into "TV PC"'s library instead of the server. Because TV PC is a client of the server, you'll still see all the content from your sever library, but be able to control the "TV MC" instance the same way you control the server.

2) On the computer you would like to play to, enable media network and make sure the box (under media network) labelled "DLNA renderer" is checked.  On the Server, make sure the box (under media network) labelled "DLNA Controller" is checked.  Your "TV MC" computer should then appear as a zone that you can play to in Gizmo when you're logged into the server.

Method 1 is more work, but in my experience provides better (finer-grained) control.  Method 2 is easier, but has some control quirks.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:12 am »

Thank you mwillems!  That's great information.

If it's not too much trouble can I ask you what the control quirks are? I don't have many requirements and if it's easy (for the wife also) may make it a better choice for me.

Is the "rendered" function a massive CPU hit?   The Server in this case has 4 cores dedicated to it, the "TV PC" in this case is actually a touchscreen jukebox with a 4 core intel PC but only 2.X ghz (Dell All In One 2043 if i'm not mistaken)

Just wonder how crushing those functions will be. They're all on wired gigabit LAN so that sohuldn't be an issue

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:25 am »

Thank you mwillems!  That's great information.

If it's not too much trouble can I ask you what the control quirks are? I don't have many requirements and if it's easy (for the wife also) may make it a better choice for me.

My best advice is to try it and see.  There are a bunch of ins and outs, and it's hard for me to know what quirks are important to you.  One example I've observed when using method 2): when you send an album to the "client" DLNA renderer, the album will play out as expected if left alone.  If you try to stop playback on the renderer itself (rather than using Gizmo/the server), it will skip to the next track instead of stopping.  So to summarize, if you play an album to "TV PC" using Gizmo, if you try to stop playback on "TV PC" itself (instead of stopping on Gizmo), it will just skip to the next track instead of stopping.  So you have to remember how you started playback to know how to stop, etc.  There are other things like that, but testing it is the best way to find out which quirks will bother you and which will not.

When you use method one, there are no quirks, it works exactly as though you were playing the files in media center, etc.   You have to remember how to change libraries/servers in Gizmo, but once you've put the access codes in, they're on the same list as zones are, just at the bottom, so it's not really that much more work (there's just extra work on the front end).  As long as the computers have descriptive names, it's been relatively easy for my family members to figure it out.  Basically if they're comfortable selecting zones to playback, this isn't that much different in Gizmo once you have it setup.

Is the "rendered" function a massive CPU hit?   The Server in this case has 4 cores dedicated to it, the "TV PC" in this case is actually a touchscreen jukebox with a 4 core intel PC but only 2.X ghz (Dell All In One 2043 if i'm not mistaken)

Just wonder how crushing those functions will be. They're all on wired gigabit LAN so that sohuldn't be an issue

If configured correctly there should be virtually no additional CPU load.  MC just sends the file as is to another MC instance (to my knowledge), unless you tell it otherwise.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:31:49 am »

Looking to get a NUC next week. Will give this a test! 

Thank you again for your advice/information. Really appreciated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up