INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 20.0.84 - Media Network stopped streaming  (Read 5934 times)

mancolh

• Recent member
Build 20.0.84 - Media Network stopped streaming
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:58:28 am »

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and the above build has broken the Media Network streaming to JRemote and web gizmo. Is there a way to re-enable this? JRemote still connects and operates my other zones. This is my first go at Linux. I have both Windows and Mac machines with MC. The sound seems more full and detailed under Linux over my HD650's and DragonFly DAC. Love it.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Build 20.0.84 - Media Network stopped streaming
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »

In which way is streaming not working?
I am running v84 here, xubuntu 14.04, and i'm streaming right now jremote -> airport express.
I can also stream (using  mc itself to select tracks and play) to an airplay enabled receiver in the lounge.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

mancolh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 05:09:56 pm »

Streaming to the JRemote app on my iPad is not working. If I select "this device" and start to play a tune I get "streaming error". I have set MC server to convert audio to high rate MP3 if necessary. If I connect to another machine running OS X and do the same thing it streams to my iPad perfectly. There was an update on my Linux computer yesterday and since then I have lost the ability to stream to JRemote. Hope this clarifies my issue.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:54:53 am »

Streaming to the JRemote app on my iPad is not working. If I select "this device" and start to play a tune I get "streaming error". I have set MC server to convert audio to high rate MP3 if necessary. If I connect to another machine running OS X and do the same thing it streams to my iPad perfectly. There was an update on my Linux computer yesterday and since then I have lost the ability to stream to JRemote. Hope this clarifies my issue.
I just tried this on with the supported distro, my iPhone and JRemote and it works fine with the conversion set to High Bitrate MP3 (this in in JRemote, there is no "if Necessary" setting in there).
MC uses lame to do the conversion. Make sure it's present and operable (type in lame at a command prompt to check).

mancolh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I typed in lame and it shows it as being present - LAME 32bits version 3.99.5 . I turned off transcoding in jremote on the iPad and it streamed although anything above 44.1 was not useable. I turned transcoding back on it came up with the same "audio streaming error". It must be some connection to lame has broken.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:16 am »

Thanks for the reply. I typed in lame and it shows it as being present - LAME 32bits version 3.99.5 . I turned off transcoding in jremote on the iPad and it streamed although anything above 44.1 was not useable. I turned transcoding back on it came up with the same "audio streaming error". It must be some connection to lame has broken.
Is lame in the normal path? (use the "type lame" command from a command line to find out).
Are you running on a 32 bit or 64 bit OS?
If 64 bit, try installing the 64 bit version of lame.
MC calls lame as a command line program so it SHOULDN'T matter but it might be interesting to find out.

mancolh

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. My Ubuntu is 32 bit and Lame is 32 bit. I tried redoing the libraries and dependencies as per the great install message but still no joy. I will wait until the next build for MC downloads and maybe it will fix it. If I am away from home and need my music (always) I will connect to my Mac MC20 and stream from there to my JRemote. I was hoping to just need one library which I would have on the Linux box. I know I can have a remote library but it is nice to have all the widgets working especially when they did once.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. My Ubuntu is 32 bit and Lame is 32 bit. I tried redoing the libraries and dependencies as per the great install message but still no joy. I will wait until the next build for MC downloads and maybe it will fix it. If I am away from home and need my music (always) I will connect to my Mac MC20 and stream from there to my JRemote. I was hoping to just need one library which I would have on the Linux box. I know I can have a remote library but it is nice to have all the widgets working especially when they did once.
Perhaps a permissions or ownership issue on the creation of the temp file. I'm pretty sure that's in
~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/Temp

You might want to check that...

mancolh

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 07:37:02 am »

once again thanks. i have given up on Linux for the time being. reformatted my MacBook from Linux to Win 7. everything works great, and now I have theater view. Sound is great and stability of Win 7 is getting better. i liked Linux as start it and forget it though. I'll be bach...

cassfras21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:22 am »

Hello,

I have the same issue here.

I checked everything you suggested.
-type lame gives "lame is /usr/bin/lame"
-rights on the temp folder are fine with rwx for the owner

No matter the client side and the file type, transcoding is broken. I tested with JRemote and JRiver Windows connected to Linux Library. Both said error in streaming.
Disabling transcoding makes streaming working again.

Had to revert back to 20.0.70 to solve it.
Media server: Synology DS916+ (Dockerised JRiver MC 22) || Media player: Intel NUC D54250WYKH - Windows 10 x64/JRiver MC 22
HiFi: Matrix i-mini Pro 2015 (USB DAC) >> Atoll IN80 SE (Int Amp) >> B&W CM1 S2 & subwoofer B&W ASW610

mancolh

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:54 am »

Well at least this confirms my issue. Once the Linux build gets a little more refined and maybe no command line needed for install I'll try it again. I know JRiver says that all bit perfect should sound the same but I find sound differences between all flavours (Win20 Mac20 Linux20). I think Windows is the most detailed, Mac the smoothest and Linux a more up front sound. Macbook - DragonFly v2.0 - HD-650. Comments for another forum but my closwer on Linux.

Thanks for confirming my problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 10:48:14 am »

Hello,

I have the same issue here.

I checked everything you suggested.
-type lame gives "lame is /usr/bin/lame"
-rights on the temp folder are fine with rwx for the owner

No matter the client side and the file type, transcoding is broken. I tested with JRemote and JRiver Windows connected to Linux Library. Both said error in streaming.
Disabling transcoding makes streaming working again.

Had to revert back to 20.0.70 to solve it.
Are you on 64 or 32 bit?
You are saying that reverting to .80 didn't fix it, you have to go back to .70?

I absolutely can't reproduce this with JRemote. I connect to my linux library, play a file that only exists in flac format to JRemote and it gets converted to mp3 in the Temp directory and plays instantly.

If you open a terminal window and run
mediacenter20
from there and leave that window open you should see the info from lame when a conversion is started:
Code: [Select]
LAME 3.99.5 32bits (http://lame.sf.net)
CPU features: MMX (ASM used), SSE (ASM used), SSE2
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 20094 Hz - 20627 Hz
Encoding <stdin>
      to /home/bob/.jriver/Media Center 20/Temp/AudioStream - 2915797872.mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (4.4x) 320 kbps qval=3

cassfras21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »

I am running 32bits supported distro and didn't try 20.0.80.

I am currently using 20.0.70 without issue and I updated directly to 20.0.84.

When lame is trying to transcode, terminal's output:

/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 1: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: MZÿÿ¸@º´: not found
/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 2: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: !/L!/L!/L^¹L: not found
/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 4: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

I checked the plugin folder. It contains lame.exe and gogo.exe.

This works fine with 20.0.70.

Media server: Synology DS916+ (Dockerised JRiver MC 22) || Media player: Intel NUC D54250WYKH - Windows 10 x64/JRiver MC 22
HiFi: Matrix i-mini Pro 2015 (USB DAC) >> Atoll IN80 SE (Int Amp) >> B&W CM1 S2 & subwoofer B&W ASW610

cassfras21

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 12:35:53 pm »

Ok I just downloaded 20.0.80 it is just working fine with.
So I can confirm it is .84 related.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:24 pm »

I am running 32bits supported distro and didn't try 20.0.80.

I am currently using 20.0.70 without issue and I updated directly to 20.0.84.

When lame is trying to transcode, terminal's output:

/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 1: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: MZÿÿ¸@º´: not found
/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 2: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: !/L!/L!/L^¹L: not found
/home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 4: /home/cassfras21/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

I checked the plugin folder. It contains lame.exe and gogo.exe.

This works fine with 20.0.70.
Well this is obviously wrong since those are windows binaries!

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »

Actually just tried this myself, now I can understand more about what the OP is trying.
I get exactly the same error:
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 1: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: MZ����@��: not found
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 2: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: !/L!/L!/L�^�L: not found
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 4: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »

Actually just tried this myself, now I can understand more about what the OP is trying.
I get exactly the same error:
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 1: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: MZ����@��: not found
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 2: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: !/L!/L!/L�^�L: not found
/home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: 4: /home/robert/.jriver/Media Center 20/Plugins/mp3_encoder/lame.exe: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
Found the regression and figured out why I can't reproduce it. I've got wine on my system and it's running the windows binaries!
Pages: [1]   Go Up