INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie again... multiroom audio trubbles  (Read 1775 times)

pikpen

Newbie again... multiroom audio trubbles
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:48:57 pm »

Sorry if its been over hashed but I'm frustrated and my google search box is heating up from overuse...
JRiver on 2 pcs, client & server - from the client I can control server pause, play, change selections, ....but never any audio on the client.
Is it possible to play MC on one PC and listen to it on another PC on the same network? I've changed every setting possible and no joy. Am I missing something?

Yes, I AM an idiot....
Thanks..

J

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie again... multiroom audio trubbles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »

If you want to play music on the client, connect it to the server by using Library Server (topic on our wiki).  Press play and you should hear the music on the client. 

If you have trouble, make sure you can play audio on the client, without connecting to any server.

If that doesn't work, provide more details.  What version are you using?  What do you do to start playback?

pikpen

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:01 pm »

Got it - Player>Link Zone>Link To (Server). That got it. Oddly if I unlink it again it still plays. No matter - its working. Thanks.

pikpen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:54 pm »

OK I can get it to stream from server to client, but when I change tracks the server the client keeps playing the previous track. The pause button pauses BOTH machines but but both play different songs. How do I get the client to play what ever the server is playing...?

It can't be this hard.... :P

Is there a step by step guide to server setup?

Sigh,  J

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 04:40:51 am »

just to make sure you understand a couple of things

You can play anything on a client. To use the client as the controller you have to load the library from the main PC (the PC running media server). You should see the library under the tree in Playing from. The music doesn't have to be playing at all on the "main" PC.

You can also control playback from the server PC from the client (no playback on the client) OR you can as you have seen control and play the same or different music at the same time. You only need to link zones when you want the same music playing (you probably have to adjust for it to be more or less in sync, but one step at a time :) )

Why don't you check in Options=>Network=>Client Options (on the client normally the the use DLNA to share is not checked btw; uncheck it at least at first) and make sure that show playback zones is checked. By Default the remote zones will show "THERE:" before the zone name. The default zone I believe is Player, so you might see "Player" and "There: Player". You might also want to rename the server library from the client (only on the client!) and call it something like Downstairs or HTPC to make it more understandable as each installation of JRiver will have a Main library which is really the default "local" library.

Then from the client right click and link the zone. You can see what is playing or is queued to play in each zone by clicking form the tree  on the left under playing now the "Overview" button. If you see the zone or zones created on the client AND on the server you are good to go normally. There are some tricks in sending tracks from one zone to another - experiment with right click on selected songs Send To and you'll see

If you load the server library it will be remembered when you reboot JRIver on the client. This can be done either from the tree or from File =>Library. This wil also permit you to tag your files and do most operations (not all) from the client.

No real guide, I can post a link but if you have music playing and can  the music server setup is ok probably for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up