INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id running, but: no Media Network option? Two IP Addresses? Can't connect to it  (Read 5220 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

I got my Id running, sort of. It did run for a day, in fact, and I enjoyed JRemote.
I run Id as a server.

(Since using my PC to change a few music files on the NAS?,) I seem to have problems connecting to Id, both with PC (loading Id's library) and JRemote.

Both devices try to connect with two different IP addresses:  192.1681.142 and 24.6.96.199.
And in fact, on the ID, the menue item 'media network' is missing.

JRemote shows me an error log, including connections status for both IP addresses "Could not connect (Error: ConnectFailure (Connection refused)).
It then goes to jriver.com to get new addresses, sending a total of 4 mac addresses.

Any idea how to fix this, and maybe even what might have caused this?

thanks!

[EDIT]
Just noticed that when booting, the system throws 1 fail:
'[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: hostname.sh mchostname.sh ... failed!]'

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Never mind. Use error. I had turned off media server in the 'services' menu. Not very intuitive though.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Bummer. That only solved my JRemote connection.
My PC still can't connect to the Id's library, neither with the access key nor with the IP address (192.168.1.142:52199). Any hints?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

As you found, Media Network needs to be activated on both devices.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Failing to connect is sometimes due to firewalls.  Our wiki has a topic on Network Access.

bob

• Administrator

Bummer. That only solved my JRemote connection.
My PC still can't connect to the Id's library, neither with the access key nor with the IP address (192.168.1.142:52199). Any hints?
What's the access key?
You may have to reset it and get another.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Thanks, Bob.

I turned off my Norton Firewall - did not help.
Access Key is YLmBwd. Somehow I thought they'd be randomly generated, do you maintain them on a server?

bob

• Administrator

Thanks, Bob.

I turned off my Norton Firewall - did not help.
Access Key is YLmBwd. Somehow I thought they'd be randomly generated, do you maintain them on a server?
They are randomly generated and saved on the server so you can retrieve the IP from anywhere even if it's dynamic (like dyndns).
If you can't get to it with the IP either and you matched that with the address from option 11 I think something must be going on with MC on the Id.
Can you boot it into gui mode and check?

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Hm, banned from the computers, got overseas visitors. Will be traveling myself then so can only check in a few weeks. Bare with me.
So if I can connect with JRemote, as I mentioned (maybe not clear enough) shouldn't the access code be ok?

bob

• Administrator

Hm, banned from the computers, got overseas visitors. Will be traveling myself then so can only check in a few weeks. Bare with me.
So if I can connect with JRemote, as I mentioned (maybe not clear enough) shouldn't the access code be ok?
Sorry, I missed the JRemote comment.
Yes you should be able to connect with the MC PC's media client. On the client PC is MC's Media Network enabled? It has to be. If you aren't using the other services like the DLNA services you can turn them off separately.

If it is enabled, I can only assume you have one firewall or another blocking outgoing connects on TCP port 52199. You could try putting in a manual exception for that.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

hi Bob,

Since I returned, I swear I was able to load the Id's library from my desktop once: but not again.
Regardless, I just discovered that the library on my PC has the same access code as the library on my Id. Is that supposed to be that way?
If not, could the problem come from copying the library file from my PC (a back-up, to be precise) to the Id, and use it there as the local library (via restore)?

On my I devices, I am still happily using JRemote to access the library on Id.

Wrt your questions:
- Media Network is enabled on PC
- i had turned off the firewall for a short while, it did not make any difference.

bob

• Administrator

hi Bob,

Since I returned, I swear I was able to load the Id's library from my desktop once: but not again.
Regardless, I just discovered that the library on my PC has the same access code as the library on my Id. Is that supposed to be that way?
If not, could the problem come from copying the library file from my PC (a back-up, to be precise) to the Id, and use it there as the local library (via restore)?

On my I devices, I am still happily using JRemote to access the library on Id.

Wrt your questions:
- Media Network is enabled on PC
- i had turned off the firewall for a short while, it did not make any difference.
They definitely should NOT have the same access code and I'm sure it came from copying the library.
Just reset the access code on the Id and request a new one (in the Media Network Options).

Ferdi

• World Citizen

hm, just how exactly do I do that? I tried:

• turning off media network by unchecking the box 'use media network to share...', in the options > media network tree.
  • turning on again by setting the flag again in that checkbox (is that what you mean by 'request'?).
  • The dialog says 'start server and request for an access key'. I hit next, and it then shows me the exact same access key again.  ?

I did the same on my PC - with the same result. The library re-creates the same access key on both Id and PC.

bob

• Administrator

In the media network options there is a "reset access key" choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up