INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR tweaking  (Read 6100 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
madVR tweaking
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:42:51 pm »

I use a Radeon 6450 and get excellent results with madVR and ROHQ, it is just a matter of the settings.

After fiddling a lot, I found that for chroma upscaling "Bicubic 75 w/Antiringing" was a the best compromise of GPU use and quality.   The chroma upscaling feature is one of the better visual improvements, IMHO.

Then just use different profiles for image upscaling, and use If Then Else to select them.

As Hendrik mentioned, you definitely want "Hardware decoding" in MC20 to be off, it is not necessary, and it just overloads the GPU.

---

BTW, you did not mention the resolution of your display.  If it is also 1080p, then that should be easy for your GPU, because there is no upscaling or downscaling of the 1080p.  If the display is not 1080p, then you would need to have madVR use a less demanding algorithm.

However, sometimes so-called "1080p" videos are actually 1072p or 1076p, which will then create huge demands on the GPU even if you have a 1080p display.   Use MediaInfo to check the actual resolution of the videos.

(I've asked madshi to implement an option to not scale if the video is only a few lines difference from the display resolution, but I don't think that has gotten near the top of his priority list.)

sj1201

• Recent member
Re: madVR tweaking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »

Oh, sorry, my display is also 1080p, I forgot to mention.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the if then else option how this works?

Is it possible to use this option to use different settings for different frame rates like 1080p@24Hz or 1080p@60Hz?

sj1201

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:34:31 am »

Hello again,

quick update, it seems with some change of the setting I get GPU load of about 33% it seems now working fine.

But I think the more important thing to fix the issue was increase the fan speed of my graphic card with msi afterburner.
Even if the GPU load was acceptable the HTPC crashed as soon as the GPU temperature reached 52-53°C, which is typically no high temperature, but however with now having the GPU temperature below 50°C because of higher fan speed I got no crash anymore.

Jonas

kstuart

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »

Oh, sorry, my display is also 1080p, I forgot to mention.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the if then else option how this works?

Is it possible to use this option to use different settings for different frame rates like 1080p@24Hz or 1080p@60Hz?

Search for 6233638's thread on madVR settings (search this Forum for "madvr", with "Titles only" checked, and all sub-forums included).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:30 am »

Why not use Red October HQ without any modifications?

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:23 pm »

Why not use Red October HQ without any modifications?

madVR provides a number of minor picture quality improvements, that - when they accumulate - produce a significant net improvement.

Each minor improvement can be quantitatively increased in the settings - but almost always that uses more GPU.  Even very recent GPUs do not have enough power to use all the madVR settings at maximum - because madshi is always coming up with another feature.  8)  Certainly GPUs prior to 2013 have only enough power for certain features and not others.

Different types of video benefit from differing amounts of improvement, so to maximize the use of one's GPU, one needs to use the Profiles in madVR.  The main way to do this is varying setting of "image upscaling" because that has the most different in Performance between some methods and others.

For example:

* On SD (usually from DVDs from pre-HD TV shows, like The Wire), "softcubic 80" produces excellent results in making artifacts less noticeable.
* On 59 or 60 fps, one wants to use a less GPU-intensive method like "Bilinear"
* On 1072 or 1076 line videos, one wants to use a less GPU-intensive method than normal because of the GPU power needed to scale from 1072 to 1080.

IMHO, the biggest benefit of madVR is chroma upscaling.  Attention is always focusing on resolution, but I find that "three dimensionality" is actually relative to the number of colors used.  Chroma upscaling thus makes video look more realistic.  With my GPU, I use Bicubic 75 w/ anti-ringing.

( Recently, I happened to use VLC player to play a TV video to test something else, and was struck at how much less realistic it looked than when I had played the same video using MC20 and Red October HQ/madVR. )

kstuart

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:11:01 pm »

All the above is described and discussed in 6233638's excellent madVR Guide and its thread, which is at:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80253.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up