INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching between PCM and DSD...  (Read 3399 times)

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
Switching between PCM and DSD...
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »

Hello All,

I am looking to add a second DAC into my setup to be able to play dedicated DSD audio using the Schiit Loki device. I would need to have this connected via a separate USB cable via dedicated drivers for operation.

Question I have, is will I be able to seamlessly switch between two different DAC's so if playing DSD audio, JRiver will output to the Loki DSD DAC and if I switch to say Redbook audio, it will then default to my PCM based M2TECH Young DAC?

Would appreciate any help/advice on this, as I would not want to have to keep reconfiguring JRiver to be able to play the two different audio formats if possible... I would guess the alternative, would be to install a separate player like Foobar and use that just for the DSD audio playback? I would prefer to stick with JRiver for both of course  ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Re: Switching between PCM and DSD...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »

Why not get a single DAC that does it all - like an iFI Micro or Nano? I am sure there are/will be many more.  The DAC-JRiver figures it out and you don't have to do anything (except buy a new DAC)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:39 pm »

Hello All,

I am looking to add a second DAC into my setup to be able to play dedicated DSD audio using the Schiit Loki device. I would need to have this connected via a separate USB cable via dedicated drivers for operation.

Question I have, is will I be able to seamlessly switch between two different DAC's so if playing DSD audio, JRiver will output to the Loki DSD DAC and if I switch to say Redbook audio, it will then default to my PCM based M2TECH Young DAC?

Would appreciate any help/advice on this, as I would not want to have to keep reconfiguring JRiver to be able to play the two different audio formats if possible... I would guess the alternative, would be to install a separate player like Foobar and use that just for the DSD audio playback? I would prefer to stick with JRiver for both of course  ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

Yes absolutely you can use both. Just setup the new DAC as a new zone. It will have it's own independent DSP settings from the PCM DAC. You can also create a zoneswitch rule so MC will automatically switch between each DAC for DSD or PCM.

:) If you need further help let me know and I'll give you an example zoneswitch configuration.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:50:37 pm »

Why not get a single DAC that does it all - like an iFI Micro or Nano? I am sure there are/will be many more.  The DAC-JRiver figures it out and you don't have to do anything (except buy a new DAC)

Thanks for the suggestion and I guess I should have prefaced the fact that I already own a high quality PCM DAC and am just looking to simply add the DSD option separately.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:52:59 pm »

Yes absolutely you can use both. Just setup the new DAC as a new zone. It will have it's own independent DSP settings from the PCM DAC. You can also create a zoneswitch rule so MC will automatically switch between each DAC for DSD or PCM.

:) If you need further help let me know and I'll give you an example zoneswitch configuration.

That is great to know!  Yes, any guidance would be greatly appreciated...  Thanks!!!

toddrhodes

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:57:09 am »

I would be very interested in the ZoneSwitch example for this scenario, I have a Modi and Loki and would love to just play my CD/HiRez stuff out of JRiver as DSD but anything going through the O/S JRiver audio driver should go through the Modi. Things like Youtube videos just don't do well on my machine (JRMark 3800) when going into the JRiver audio device, convert to DSD, and out through the Loki. I do realize I'll likely have to stop playback in the DSD zone to do something like this. I'd get an all-in-one DAC like suggested above but I just bought a preamp, so this setup that I have will have to stay the way it is for awhile :)

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »

Me Too!  :)   Any guidance would be appreciated on tis one... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up