INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norton Power Eraser Problem  (Read 2814 times)

Pegasus59

• Recent member
Norton Power Eraser Problem
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:46 pm »

I run Norton 360 antivirus on my PC.
It prompted me to run Norton Power Eraser (NPR) today https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/kb20100824120155EN_EndUserProfile_en_us to remove malware from my PC.
Norton Power Eraser identified (and deleted) JRiver Media Center 20.exe and two associated .dll files.
Norton's response was "11:06 AM Darshan Jain: Okay, that is fine, if Norton Power eraser removes any file or program then it means it has some threats on that program."
So now I have to download and reinstall MC20 on my PC, as well as rebuilding my library and changes I have made to the skin, font size and so on.
Which is a major pain in the backside.
I'm posting here so the administrators can get to the root of the problem and hopefully others won't have to go through this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Norton Power Eraser (NPR) identifies JRiver MC20.exe as malware
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:54:34 pm »

Please report the problem to Norton.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Norton Power Eraser Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:52 pm »

Too bad Norton don't do what it should do...lol....guess that was a waste of money!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Pegasus59

• Recent member
Re: Norton Power Eraser (NPR) identifies JRiver MC20.exe as malware
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:29:48 pm »

Please report the problem to Norton.
I did. Their response from online support was "11:06 AM Darshan Jain: Okay, that is fine, if Norton Power eraser removes any file or program then it means it has some threats on that program."
I got nowhere with them.
this is the second time this month I have encountered problems with Norton mis-recognizing legitimate software as malware.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:30:00 am »

"Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect threats, and there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should carefully review the scan results page before removing files. If you accidentally remove a legitimate program, you can run Norton Power Eraser to review past repair sessions and undo them."

From the link you posted.  Sounds like you can undo this mistake...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:11:41 am »

I'm closing this.  It is a Norton problem, not an MC problem.  Good luck fixing it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up