INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC re-imported al my files  (Read 1162 times)

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC re-imported al my files
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:00:03 am »

don't know the reason, but MC re-imported all my files (music, movies, series). on the 18th everything was still ok in the afternoon. In the evening, no files were available anymore. one by one they appeared again, some without covers. today I noticed that some are even only imported today, when starting a specific view for these files.
the greatest disadvantage of what happened is that all files are now "never played".

MC 20.0.93
MC library is stored on NAS as also all the files.

any idea about a possible reason?
are the dates "last played" recoverable?
thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC re-imported al my files
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:35:23 am »

File>library>backup library

Pick a day before the 18th, make sure restore settings is checked and you'll get the 'old' library back exactly as it was

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:46:58 am »

restore a library backup -- you should have one done automatically. Ah .. see someone else is quicker :)

What might have happened is that there were external changes to your file directory structure (or an external program like Tag/Rename).

If last played is very important to you, you can go to Options=>Library&Folders=>Manage Library Fields and check the box write to file if possible (it won't write a date but will write a numeric string that can be then reintegrated into the library from tools. This works well with flac files ... some file formats will not support this, for info. You can check by doing a tag dump (see the wiki) to see what tags are actually embedded in the file itself.

The downside of this is that if you do incremental backups of your media, you will have to backup all files you have played since the previous backup.

Note: one field you can't do this for is date imported

Note 2: one program (makeMKV) I have does something to files for some reason even though I have not processed any videos through it. After opening a folder, JRiver does reimport the whole root directory .. strange - I'll look into that one

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:39 am »

To prevent this from happening again, go into auto-import settings and disable "Fix broken links."  The setting to "protect missing drives" does not work perfectly. So if you have auto-import running in the background with fix broken links enabled, if MC can't reach your drive for a while, auto-import will start "fixing" the broken links effectively removing your entire library.  Of course everything will be reimported once the drive reappears, but that leads to the consequences you saw.

It happened to me several times before I figured it out, but since I've disabled that setting, it's never happened again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:02 am »

The setting to "protect missing drives" does not work perfectly.

Looking at the code it seems pretty bullet proof:

Code: [Select]
bool bMissing = false;
if (FixBrokenLinksMode == SDFBLM_ENABLED_SMART)
{
// double-check that the drive really does exist so we never remove a file due to an out-of-state response caused by caching
// http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77246.0
if (bDriveExists)
bDriveExists = GetFileSystemManager()->GetDriveExists(fnFilename.GetFilename(), IFileSystemManager::Flag_NoCache);

// smart missing detection that detects disconnected network drives, etc.
if (bDriveExists)
{
// since the drive exists, the file must really be missing
bMissing = true;
}
else
{
// since the drive doesn't exist, we'll just leave the files since it could have been on a
// a temporary disk (USB, firewire, etc.) that comes and goes
}
}

Any ideas what might be going wrong?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:55 am »

Matt,

I'm not a coding expert, so I'm kind of groping in the dark, but what do the function calls in bDriveExists return for network shares mapped as drives (as opposed to shared through UNC paths) when those shares are temporarily unavailable?

I ask because when mapped drives are unavailable, windows continues to display them and certain information about them in various locations in the UI.  Often the drive will continue to be shown as green/available in file explorer for a minute or two after a loss of connection, and even when the drives register as unavailable, windows still provides certain info about them.  I guess I'm wondering if windows is reporting drives as still existing for a while after they're no longer available and if that "lag" period may be when the mischief happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up