INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem controlling the selected DLNA device  (Read 9929 times)

jherbert

• World Citizen
Problem controlling the selected DLNA device
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:22 am »

Out of the blue I get the following error message: "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double-check your device, server and network settings."

The Device(s) in question is a Marantz Consolette. I got four of these, three show the error above, one worked fine but started showing "waiting" in stead of playing. MC20 latest release is running on WHS2012. MC20 restarted, no change, Server restarted, no change.

I tried to use my Workstation as a Server - same error message.

The above happened shortly after I disabled "SetNextSupport" on all those devices. I had to change that setting because the Consolettes played two songs of a given playlist before starting to repeat the second song forever. Disabling "SetNextSupport" did fix that issue.

I also have to mention that I tried to combine two devices in one zone for synched playback. Not Sure if that matters, it did not work anyway.

Any ideas on this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem controlling the selected DLNA device
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:12 am »

Did you change anything on the PC where MC is running?

If you're running WHS, are you also running something like Fidelizer or Audiophile Optimizer that shuts down Windows processes?

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:48 am »

Nope, no changes made, no snake oil applied. jremote off the same server on my S5 works fine. All devices appear in jremote and MC20 just as they should. The Consolettes work fine with internet radio, so the connection to the router should be ok, too. Is there any kind of error log?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:56:48 am »

The above happened shortly after I disabled "SetNextSupport" on all those devices.
What happens if you reverse this change?

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:18:28 pm »

I tried that, but it did not help. I left it enabled and went for dinner. Just came back and voilá, the Consolettes seem to talk again.

However, disabling "SetNextSupport" is crucial to my setup, as I want to be able to listen to a playlist without advancing each track manually.

I will give it another shot and report on the results.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:50:52 pm »

I also have to mention that I tried to combine two devices in one zone for synched playback. Not Sure if that matters, it did not work anyway.

Did you unlink the devices again after trying that?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »

Did you unlink the devices again after trying that?

No, will do so next time and report back.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:57:47 am »

@JimH: The problem seems to be related to setting more than one device to "SetNextSupport".

The Consolettes are supposed to fully support DLNA 1.5, but who knows. They also support AirPlay and Play To. One of these supported?

I tried to revert to Legacy UPnP, same problem there: Without deactivating "SetNextSupport" there is no next song after the second song

@AndrewFG: They do not show up as linked after restart.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:57:17 am »

Two points:

1) If you are willing, please download the DMRA test application from the link in my signature, run the test against (one of) your Consolettes, and post the test log file here. That will enable me to see whether they do or do not support SetNextAVTransportURI.

2) Due to the architecture of how the SetNext function works*) I could imagine that although the renderers might individually support the SetNext function, in the case that you link them into a single zone, then MC might have some difficulty pushing to both renderers using SetNext..

*) The reason is that on one hand the standard SetAVTransportURI function is sent by MC synchronously to all renderers in the zone in lock step, but on the other hand the SetNextAVTransportURI function has to be sent asynchronously to each renderer individually depending on when that renderer reports itself as being ready to receive its next SetNext command.

Note that I wrote a whitepaper to JRiver making a bunch of suggestions about how they could improve synchronized play in MC; however they have not (yet) indicated any intention to take up any of those suggestions..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 09:23:44 am »

Andrew,

this is very helpful. I am attaching the test protocol.

Is there any documentation what the settings under dlna servers mean? This would take a part of the guesswork out

I checked DLNA and DLNAExtra and I already played 3 tracks in sequence. Unfortunately the third started to repeat.

I also ran a test with very small files (up to 3 seconds) to speed things up a bit. It played >10 in that setting.

Airplay via TuneBlade sort of works, but there is one Player missing, and I could not figure out how to use the players indvidually.

edit:

Seems I am back to square one. The only way to play more than 2 songs in sequence is disabling SetAVTransportURI, which in turn results in the "Problem controlling the selected DLNA device" Error when enabled on another device.  :'(

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »

Seems I am back to square one. The only way to play more than 2 songs in sequence is disabling SetAVTransportURI, which in turn results in the "Problem controlling the selected DLNA device" Error when enabled on another device.  :'(

For the avoidance of doubt, can you please confirm that your problem is indeed as follows:

• It works if you play to a single renderer that has SetNext disabled
  • It works if you play to a single renderer that has SetNext enabled
  • It works if you play to two zone linked renderers if both have SetNext disabled
  • It does not work if you play to two zone linked renderers if both have SetNext enabled
  • It does not work if you play to two zone linked renderers if one has SetNext enabled, and one has SetNext disabled

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:03 pm »

For the avoidance of doubt, can you please confirm that your problem is indeed as follows:

• It works if you play to a single renderer that has SetNext disabled
  • It works if you play to a single renderer that has SetNext enabled
  • It works if you play to two zone linked renderers if both have SetNext disabled
  • It does not work if you play to two zone linked renderers if both have SetNext enabled
  • It does not work if you play to two zone linked renderers if one has SetNext enabled, and one has SetNext disabled
Sorry for the confusion, but I changend too many parameters. As of now

- It works if I play to a single renderer that has set next disabled.
- It does not work in all other cases.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 03:24:04 am »

Played with tuneblade over the weekend. Works well and keeps streams to all four Consolettes in sync.

Unfortunately it does not allow for different streams to the different devices (zones). But it seems they are doing something right about the streaming to the Consolettes.

So while I am not a friend of Apple-only solutions there seems to be something going for airplay. Any chances we will see airplay in jriver supporting zones?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 09:06:13 am »

IMHO I am pretty sure that MC's current issues with snychronised play via UPnP could be solved -- it is just that I am not sure if or when it will be done..

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:18:19 am »

Tuneblade is a pretty good solution für synchronized play, and it does not cost that much.

What I really need is support for independent streams from one server to n devices. This seems to be broken for the Consolettes. The symptoms I described probably point to the cause, but I am no expert in these matters.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:00 am »

What I really need is support for independent streams from one server to n devices. This seems to be broken for the Consolettes. The symptoms I described probably point to the cause, but I am no expert in these matters.

Ok. Let's just try this one more time..

• Remove any zone linking in MC for the Consolettes
  • On each Consolette - right click on the device and check Disable SetNext
  • On each Consolette - link it to the same MC server
  • Try pushing one track from MC to each Consolette individually in turn
  • Link the Consolettes into one single zone
  • Try pushing one track from MC to that zone
  • Try pushing a playlist (more than one track) from MC to that zone

If it really still does not work, then turn on logging in MC and record the log from the last two steps in the above list.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »

I successfully pushed one song to one of four devices, the others report the initial error message. The error does not depend on the device. This time "Kitchen" worked while the others did not, yesterday it was "Joachim".

Anyway, I did write a log and attach it here.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 02:42:05 pm »

I successfully pushed one song to one of four devices, the others report the initial error message. The error does not depend on the device. This time "Kitchen" worked while the others did not, yesterday it was "Joachim".

Anyway, I did write a log and attach it here.

Hmm. Just a thought...

I wonder whether, when you right click on the Consolette and set Disable SetNext, perhaps MC cannot tell which Consolette it is actually applying the setting to. In other words, perhaps all the players have the same name, or the same UID, or have in some other way a common identity that is confusing to MC??

Could you run my DMRA on several of your Consolettes and see if they have the same unique device name (say)?

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »

Could you run my DMRA on several of your Consolettes and see if they have the same unique device name (say)?

Thank you for your help. Friendly names, unique device names and ip are different for all units. Interesting point though: after selecting the device that successfully connected to jriver the information gathering process takes forever - clicking "select a renderer" in that situation which starts a new search for devices and brings up the result screen in the background.

Anything in the logfile I provided?

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 04:54:07 am »

Still not working as it should. Anyone got an idea what might cause the problem and how to fix this?

outis

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 06:08:23 am »

Hm, please check the MAC-addresses of the clients.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 12:41:05 am »

MAC adresses are unique, as they should be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up