INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming from generic mobile device to server?  (Read 1680 times)

hedgeberg

Streaming from generic mobile device to server?
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:03:11 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm working on a home audio solution and I'm super busy so I really don't have as much time as I'd like to be testing/finding different solutions so I was wondering if anyone could recommend something for the following:

Basically everything's set up, running a different zone per room, audio streams just fine for each zone from the server, and I can control it just fine with my phone. However, not everyone in my family all has their media on my server, so for ease of access I want to set up streaming from any device, i.e. stream device local content + anything the device is streaming itself. I figure this is easy enough to do on PC, but I have no idea how I would do it on OSX, Linux, iOS, or android. Anyone got any expertise with device->server->chosen zone audio streaming for any of these platforms?

Thanks guys!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming from generic mobile device to server?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:59:49 am »

You could do phone > chromecast or similar, but that won't get you to MC or to its zones.

You could run a UPnP / DLNA server on the phone. 

If the media was on an MC server, you could use Gizmo or JRemote to play it from the server to a zone.  It could be a different server.

hedgeberg

Re: Streaming from generic mobile device to server?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »

Fair enough, but if thats the case how do I set up a media center on iOS or android? Ive investigated a little and had 0 success.

Also, could I be able to capture audio from something like YouTube? I think I saw something about some uPnP apps catching audio from any app if you have xposed running on android, could airplay somehow do the equivalent?

I think im going to try configuring a DLNA media server on some of my devices and see how that goes, but if that doesn't work I might want some instructions for getting media servers communicating across devices. I'll check back in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up