INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9.1 Release  (Read 8916 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
9.1 Release
« on: September 11, 2003, 05:55:14 am »

We're about to ship MC 9.1 and crack open the two bottles of Alsatian Wine that Christian (Cmagic) so kindly gave me last time we met.

So.... this is the "last call".  We need to know if you think there are any "showstoppers" left.

If you know about a serious problem and can describe how to reproduce it, please mention it here and then start a new thread on it or provide a link to an existing thread.

In the thread, provide as much detail as you can, including steps that you take to re-create the problem and copy and paste your system info (from MC Help).

Most importantly, ask if anyone else sees the problem.  If so, try to find out what your systems have in common.

We've reached a point at which the big problems being reported cannot be reproduced.  

Please remember that if there are bugs in device drivers or in the OS, you may see them when you run MC.

Thanks again for all the help you've been.  

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
Re: 9.1 Release
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 06:31:06 am »

The only showstopper for me is the DVD playback issue.

[ New thread opened by JimH
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1063292928;start=0#0 ]

nila

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 06:57:15 am »

Still having the bug with plugins - Common Dialog boxes are trying to be skinned and not working (for the colour VB Common Dialog).

Post moved by JimH to:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1063292762;start=0#0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 07:15:24 am »

Just to repeat, please post a brief summary here and then start a thread or link to an existing one.

I'm trying to get a good clean list of possible serious problems so we can take a closer look at them.

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 07:51:24 am »

Don't know if you see this as a showstopper, but Media Center 9.1.249 crashes with a Media Core error, and exits ungracefully, in the following situation:

1. Attach Rio 500 MP3

[moved to new thread]
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 08:06:03 am »

1)When using ASIO for streaming mp3s, switching stations causes stuttering and occasionally crashes.    

2) MC downloads *.rm files instead of streaming them    
This is an old bug.        

3)The action window image does not automatically update to currently playing song

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 11:05:51 am »

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 11:48:55 am »

I do see this reported bug as a showstopper:

BUG: Drag'n'drop within the media library doesn't work.
Go to Media library -> Audio -> Hard Disk Location
Select one Album (direcotory) drag it to a sub folder and drop it. It will generate two popup's:

"Error setting some file properties: Location (root)" and
"This operation can not be completed because the desired action is ambiguous or not possible"

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 12:14:59 pm »

I do see this reported bug as a showstopper:

BUG: Drag'n'drop within the media library doesn't work.
Go to Media library -> Audio -> Hard Disk Location
Select one Album (direcotory) drag it to a sub folder and drop it. It will generate two popup's:

"Error setting some file properties: Location (root)" and
"This operation can not be completed because the desired action is ambiguous or not possible"

That one isn't a showstopper.  You can right click on an album and do Library Tools/Copy or Move.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 01:07:51 pm »

If anyone else thinks they have a BIG BAD BUG, please start a new thread on it.  

Please post ONLY a summary of it here.  

We're not going to chase any little problems now.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 03:27:03 pm »

very exciting indeed.  I've been waiting for 9.1 for some time.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to let everyone know I've moved up to the Twin Cities to begin my masters at the U.  That means, next time Jim and Co. throw a release party, I won't miss out.  Hoo-ah.

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 07:06:39 pm »

Text sorting problem was not a bug of MC9.1.  However, I appreciate if MC9.1 gives us an option to specify sorting locale at least either system default locale or user default locale.  Details are described in:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1063335346

Thanks.

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 08:58:43 pm »

That one isn't a showstopper.  You can right click on an album and do Library Tools/Copy or Move.

Sorry, but I don't agree.
You can do tis on individual files but that function is not eneabled on a whole directory.

If I go to Media Library - Audio - Hard Disk Location -> Expand
Select the Arethe Franklin DIRECTORY and try do do a Drag'n'drop to my "== A ==" Directory I get this error:
"Error setting some file properties: Location (root)"
"This operation can not be completed because the disered action is ambigious or not possible"

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 10:01:27 pm »

Reproducable Crash:

1. Display Media Library
2. Open "My Computer" in left side panel
3. display a folder using the + symbol next to the folder, but DO NOT click on the folder, otherwise your the files in your media library will not display
4. Drag a file from the Media Library to the folder
5. Windows will crash. I get the following:

AppName: media jukebox.exe       AppVer: 9.1.250.0       ModName: media jukebox.exe
ModVer: 9.1.250.0       Offset: 0008415b

When you reopen Media Center, you'll find that the file was moved, but that the Media Library was not updated properly, and the file you moved has a the "paper with an x" icon.

Can anybody else reproduce this error?  It happens to me every time.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 12:48:38 am »

Submitting skins & other customize stuff

Don't know if this is the thread to post this, but the headline sounds like it could be the right one ;)
Just some questions...
  • Should new skins for MC9.1 be submitted to the "old" accessories page, together with skins for MJ8/MC9?
  • Where to submit Hairstyles?
  • What about TrackInfo templates using the new field syntax?
  • Are there plans for a new MC 9.1 accessories area on the JRiver site, so it's better to wait with submitting customize stuff until it's present?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 04:14:29 am »

Submitting skins & other customize stuff

Don't know if this is the thread to post this, but the headline sounds like it could be the right one ;)
Just some questions...
  • Should new skins for MC9.1 be submitted to the "old" accessories page, together with skins for MJ8/MC9?
  • Where to submit Hairstyles?
  • What about TrackInfo templates using the new field syntax?
  • Are there plans for a new MC 9.1 accessories area on the JRiver site, so it's better to wait with submitting customize stuff until it's present?

Hang onto them for a few days so we have a chance to look at the problem.  Thanks for all the great work you've done.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2003, 03:55:09 am »

• Still no list playing icon for non-imported tracks
  • Still frames close..etc buttons does not support hover effect
  • Still volume control not standalone
  • Still panes shows disabled vertical scroll bar show up when clicking on its place
Tamer

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 04:27:44 am »

I get really frustrated with the longer wait time when playing an MP3 for the first time in MC 9.1.whatever. Here are the steps to reproduce.

1. Close MC.
2. Find an MP3 and double-click it (assuming MC is default for MP3s).
3. MC loads, and takes several moments for the MP3 to play.

Alternate method.

1. Close and reopen MC.
2. Double-click an MP3 from your library. MC takes several moments for the MP3 to play.

After the initial play, all files play instantly.

Another annoyance.

When I pause an MP3 and then double-click on a different one from the library, part of the paused MP3 plays and then it jumps to the new one.

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 07:48:30 am »

In my view, the Automation SDK is out of date.  Did you all decided to punt this from 9.1?  If so, are you planning on a followup, or do we have to wait till 10.0?

Several threads in Developers section address this.  My list is here: http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev;action=display;num=1056513647

I particularly want parameterization of Play() and DoCommand() methods to include all the variations of play available in the right-click menu, including Remove.

Second most-important: CurPlaylistAutomation.RemoveDuplicates().

Thanks for the best piece of media software, bar none!
Soundman.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 02:07:56 pm »

When I pause an MP3 and then double-click on a different one from the library, part of the paused MP3 plays and then it jumps to the new one.

I think that this is a windows issue as I also get this in other apps. I think it is to do with Direct Sound buffers. Basically the last few milliseconds of a sound are still in a play buffer and are played before the new stuff.

Omni

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 03:06:41 pm »

I think that this is a windows issue as I also get this in other apps. I think it is to do with Direct Sound buffers. Basically the last few milliseconds of a sound are still in a play buffer and are played before the new stuff.

I have reported this bug as well, and isn't related to DirectX.  I get it with standard WAVE output as well.

There is a standard system call (waveOutReset() to be exact) that should be called which I don't think is being called, or if so, not at the right time or in the right way.

Quoting from Windows Platform SDK:  Windows Multimedia:

The waveOutReset function stops playback on the given waveform-audio output device and resets the current position to zero. All pending playback buffers are marked as done and returned to the application.[/u]

(I added the bold underline myself for clarity's sake.)

Now, I'm am fairly confident there is no bug in this function because I use it in my applications without any trouble.  I am, though, pure speculating (AND I'M PROBABLY WRONG) that this is MC's problem.

Omni

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 05:44:16 am »

Jim,

Is there a projected date to the official release of 9.1? My room mate is considering purchasing it but he wants to wait until the official release. Don't hurry the release on his account, though, as I would like to see it released with it in tip-top shape, and I'm sure there's others here that feel the same way, too.  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 05:48:38 am »

My room mate is considering purchasing it but he wants to wait until the official release.

Why?

What Difference would it make?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 05:50:04 am »

Why?

Not really sure. He's a die-hard MP9 user and I've been showing him all the neet features that MC9.1.xxx has and he's impressed, but he also has seen the bugs and glitches, so that might be what's holding him back.

cubedco

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 07:43:37 am »

I'd like to see MC 9.1 Media Server include the ability to down-sample the stream rate....

right now my computer sends out data @ 120-200k/sec to ONE client...

even though 56bitrate wouldn't sound great, i wouldn't mind letting my friends hear my music while their at work too... right now, i doubt my ocmputers bandwidth could handle 2-3 users at 128-192 bittrates. :(

good job otherwise... Mc9.1 is the SH@#$T.

:c

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 11:09:07 am »

Why?

In the past, a release means we stop getting support (bug fixes). It also means MC is rock solid.

I am not sure I would use betas for the next months, so I probably will stay with 9.1 release (when ever it occurs).

I am worried about MC staff leaving unattended 9.1 version. Does 9.0.180 have any bug? Probably, but users are forced to live with it (AFAIK, no updates or fixes has been released). What will happen with 9.1 release?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 11:13:29 am »

9.0.180 was not the first release of 9.0.

The 9.1 we release will probably have at least one additional maintenance release about 3 or 4 weeks after the original 9.1 is released.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 11:17:14 am »

Polonio

>> no updates or fixes has been released
I hope your not waiting for more 9.0 releases

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 02:57:44 pm »

Not sure if this would be considered a showstopper, but since it renders an entire section of MC useless, I'll submit it.  The Media Scheduler still loses periodic tasks upon reboot.  My reproducable error is to enter multiple periodic recording tasks (at least three) and reboot the system.  All of the tasks are lost, replaced by "Start Media Center"  commands with the same start time "7:00 PM" with "0 Min" duration and no triggering day.

modelmaker

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 04:42:21 pm »

After going in and out of Interact about 5 times today, I was wondering if it would still be possible to add an "Interact Connect"  button on the face of MC, so the regular participants don't have to go to "help" evry time we want to connect. It is kind of regular function for many users of MC and more who silently read without commenting. Just a thought. Jay.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2003, 06:24:17 am »

I tried watching a DVD with MC 9.1.xxx (latest version) last night. I realized there is now easy way to scan through playback. Like pressing the Fast Forward button FFs, but you can't see what's happening. Programs like InterVideo DVD have a nice feature that you turn a jog dial and it increase, decreases, and reverses playback (slow-motion, half-speed, regular playback, 2x, 4x, 8x)

I couldn't believe MC 9.1 could not do this. Even if you don't make an adjust jog dial, at least making the FF and RW buttons speed playback would be nice.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2003, 07:03:52 am »

You can fast forward and rewind DVD playback using the menu, keyboard shortcuts, or right-click menu. (Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2003, 01:32:02 pm »

After going in and out of Interact about 5 times today, I was wondering if it would still be possible to add an "Interact Connect"  button on the face of MC, so the regular participants don't have to go to "help" evry time we want to connect. It is kind of regular function for many users of MC and more who silently read without commenting. Just a thought. Jay.

Haven't you heard of Shortcuts, Favorites, Links Toolbar, Quick Launch Toolbar?

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2003, 04:03:44 am »

You can fast forward and rewind DVD playback using the menu, keyboard shortcuts, or right-click menu. (Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right)

Yeah, but that doesn't speed the playback. I mean something just like the right-click feature that allows you to change playback speeds, but more accessible. Like a button on the playback controls, a keyboard shortcut, etc.

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2003, 05:42:34 am »

Minimize Bug (crashes are showstoppers, aren't they?)

Thread is here ->
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1063835445

Thanks
- Pietro

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2003, 11:43:25 am »

After really examining MC 9.1 beta, I realized something else that really annoys me. If I select an album to play, and exit MC 9.1, re-loading MC doesn't take me back the that last album. It throws me back to "Media Library" (as I specified in the preferences). It would be nice if I had the option to return to the last played album.

When I first switched from RealOne to MJ 8, this was something that really bugged me about MJ. It still REALLY bugs me.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2003, 07:50:23 pm »

I'd like to see MC 9.1 Media Server include the ability to down-sample the stream rate....

right now my computer sends out data @ 120-200k/sec to ONE client...

even though 56bitrate wouldn't sound great, i wouldn't mind letting my friends hear my music while their at work too... right now, i doubt my ocmputers bandwidth could handle 2-3 users at 128-192 bittrates. :(

good job otherwise... Mc9.1 is the SH@#$T.

I second this. I'd love to have this feature, as I'm stuck with a 128kbit upload from home, so I can't reliably stream my collection, most of which is recorded at 128kbit.

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2003, 01:04:58 pm »

Please make this one a showstopper (Media Scheduler really makes MC stand out from WMP and others, but if it's broke, what's the point? MS always seems to be the forgotten child.  :'():

Not sure if this would be considered a showstopper, but since it renders an entire section of MC useless, I'll submit it.  The Media Scheduler still loses periodic tasks upon reboot.  My reproducable error is to enter multiple periodic recording tasks (at least three) and reboot the system.  All of the tasks are lost, replaced by "Start Media Center"  commands with the same start time "7:00 PM" with "0 Min" duration and no triggering day.

magisimo

• Recent member
  • Are you talking?  Shut up Richard.
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2003, 11:38:53 am »

Just curious when the official 9.1 release will be.  I have some free time this weekend so I wanted to update from 9.0 and re-organize some things.  If 9.1 will come out soon though, I'm gonna wait.  Otherwise I'm gonna go with the beta.

Thanks for all your hard work,
- Mike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2003, 02:37:56 pm »

You're welcome, Mike.  Thanks for saying so.

MC 9.1 should be released next week.

shAf

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2003, 05:48:58 am »

I am all for keeping up with MC's evolution, but at this point I am somewhat satisfied and accustomed to v9.0 ... as well as a bit reluctant to install a new version which may unpredictably break something.

Is there a thread somewhere which describes how v9.1 is different from v9.0.  E.G., how have you made it better?  You don't have to answer within the scope of this thread, but I believe you should create a wwwpage list lists and compares the features.

I do understand the "Try it!" approach ... but I also understand installing v9.1 will not accommodate an existing (and working) v9.0.  If I could have installed a co-existing version of the beta, I would have done so a long time ago (... leastwise, I haven't yet seen a thread which addresses "how to install 9.1 without breaking 9.0" ...)

tia  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »

Posting here because I am not getting any response in the development board, and if the problem I am seeing is with MC, it is a show stopper. (Out-of-proc automation doesn't work well when MC is already running).

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev;action=display;num=1064157501

Thanks
-JeffreyK

cubedco

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2003, 03:31:23 pm »

shAf,

i too was satisfied w/ 9.0, but you'll be overwhelmed with joy when you install 9.1...

i've kept up w/ almost ever 9.1.xx beta and installed it over my 9.0 w/out a hitch in my library...

as usual, just backup your library prior -- you should have no problems.

-----

still waiting for a reply regarding streaming at lower bitrates for cable-capped connections. :(

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2003, 11:24:36 am »

If it's set in stone then forget about it, but...

File tag info is the only category that doesn't belong in the Action Window. It should be a separate entity on it's own (because all the other options work out fine docked under the tree). That said, I can live with it. What really needs fixed (IMO) is the "Always on top" function. It should operate relative to the MC (parent) window only. In it's current state it is not useful (afterall, it is not Task Manager or a Messenger Service window, which DO need to be on top of all other windows). With the function turned off, the window gets buried behind MC. Either way, it leads to more mousework.

10-27

5TillFree

• Recent member
  • Rock On!
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2003, 09:39:44 pm »

I STILL have the same problem ripping consecutive CD's. Media Center ALWAYS hangs.
»» Select Windows Freeware ««
http://www.SelectFreeware.com

jaysee

• Recent member
  • chowabunga
Re:9.1 Release
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2003, 12:11:33 am »

Echoing Curtis's comment: Media Schedule does not work in 9.1... it loses all taks when you reboo the computer. This is annoying becuase it takes quite a lot of effort to program Scheduler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up