INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic backup  (Read 2616 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Automatic backup
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:39:57 pm »

Excellent.

Help me with this though
 'They will automatically back up their media files to another Id and restore them when needed.'

Why would I want to keep my files in each Id? Why not one central file location (NAS), and one shared library?
Wouldn't that eliminate multiple points of failures and complexity at once (file sync, library sync, ...)? Of course, I'd save a lot of money too if I need not have to have hard drives in each Id. MC on Rasberry could do the trick, or not? At least for audio?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Automatic backup
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:38:33 am »

Excellent.

Help me this though 'They will automatically back up their media files to another Id and restore them when needed.'
Why would I want to keep my files in each Id? Why not one central file location (NAS), and one shared library?
Wouldn't that eliminate multiple points of failures and complexity at once (file sync, library sync, ...)? Of course, I'd save a lot of money too if I need not have to have hard drives in each Id. MC on Rasberry could do the trick, or not? At least for audio?

If you have disk space, why would you not want more than one backup?  As we move into this area, we will give you control if you want it.

Disk space is still limited, but limits tend to go away over time in a lot of computing.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Automatic backup
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:26:07 am »

Why would you not want more than one backup?  As we move into this area, we will give you control if you want it.

I am more coming from this side: I do have back solution(s) in place already. They are 'best of breed' and cover my whole system, not just media files. My back up strategy includes 'on premise' and 'cloud'.
Personally, I don't care to have another solution that a) allows me to manage back-up and that requires different set of hardware / discs again. I still would 'embed' the MC backed-up content to my overall back-up strategy. I don't want to spend more time on MC to manage backup - I do that already elsewhere. I don't want another complication (option) introduced that by definition is another point of failure.

Not carrying a big hard drive (we'll need TBs, given growing number of files and increasing quality = size), will also make the Id2 smaller, more energy efficient, cheaper. Much more important to me.

And last but not least: You have a small team - not limited by capabilities, but by capacity. I'd much rather see you investing in taking care of the core business - media management and player - than in back-up solutions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Automatic backup
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:17:44 am »

You're doing a good job of backing up.  I don't believe that most people are.

It's not something that would take us much time.  We do sync to handhelds now and we can probably use that as the core for anything new.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Automatic backup
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »

You're doing a good job of backing up.  I don't believe that most people are.

It's not something that would take us much time.  We do sync to handhelds now and we can probably use that as the core for anything new.

Also since the Id is linux-based you have some pretty excellent FOSS incremental backup tools at your fingertips.  Rsync, for example, is an open-source, standardized tool that can do remote incremental backups with a single shell command.  It's super easy to script, very reliable, and has a very low network overhead.  Additionally while it generally does incremental backups based on timestamp/filesize changes, it can do a more thorough, resource-intensive checksum-based incremental for a periodic "deep backup."

One major advantage of an rsync-type incremental backup is that it only sends the parts of the files that changed rather than resyncing the whole file when any part of it changes (which is what the current handheld sync implementation in JRiver does).  That can be a huge time and bandwidth savings when you're talking about minor changes to files like tag changes or something.  For example, if I write tags to my files, and redo genres on a bunch of music, the files themselves aren't much different (just the tag header), but JRiver's sync resyncs all of the files.  An rsync backup would just send the chunks that changed, reducing bandwidth, transmission time, CPU use, etc. which might be handy if you're talking about automated user-transparent backups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up