INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Viewing Needs Some Work  (Read 1311 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Image Viewing Needs Some Work
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:48:50 pm »

I have an extensive photo library and I have to tell you, the image viewing in Theater View requires some attention.  For most views the thumbnails are way to small to view while sitting on the couch.  For ex, in the 3d filmstrip mode (or whatever it's called), the images are pretty small, they could be double the size for proper viewing from 10ft away.  Same goes for most of the other view.  The Showroom view, holy crap the images are tiny.  

Can we get some love over hear for the Image viewing experience?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Image Viewing Needs Some Work
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 06:59:35 pm »

Did you try other views?

Theater View has a "Size" option.  Tools > Options > Theater View.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:05 pm »

Thumbnails style works well.

I agree that some of the 3D view styles would be pretty cool for photos, especially on a touchscreen device, if the "active" item was larger.  I don't know that I'd want them globally larger (impacting movies and audio), but for Image Media Types in particular...

Portrait-framed photos look nice in the 3D Covers view (maybe I'd have them a touch larger, but they're in the ballpark).  But, landscape-framed photos are too small:

And, the 3D Grid style view is nice for browsing collections on touchscreen devices, but the amount of "zoom" isn't enough to really identify a photo.  Again, it is okay for audio or videos, but too small for photos:

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:12:24 pm »

I have my TV set to 125%.  Problem is by increasing that, everything else gets bigger, which I don't want.

For Movies the Name view shows the covers in a 5 x 2 view.  Same goes for Audio, Artist view.  I find this could be a bit smaller as I have hundreds of movies and albums and 5 x 2 just takes a lot of scrolling.  It would be nice if I could get something like 6 x 3.

I have to say the one software that gets this totally right is MyMovies for WMC.  It's highly configurable for viewing options.

The images above show it exactly right.  Most of my photos are landscape and not portrait, and viewing them on the 3D view is hard.  Plus it's not the best view anyhow when each of my albums have a 200 or so photos in them.  YOu don't really want to click on each individual photo.  Think mostly travel photos from various places around the globe.  The 3D Grid view is useless to me as viewing images from 8-10ft away, you can barely make out the images.  I'd love it if it was larger! 

As mentioned earlier it would also be nice if when you select a photo it takes you directly to the full image displayed rather than having to click through twice.  This could easily be an option within setup, Images.

Lastly, it would be great to have a link to online images.  I have a whole lot of images at Smugmug.  Would be nice if you could display Albums from websites like that and Flicker, Photobucket.  I'm using a Windows 8.1 app called PhotoWeaver that does exactly that as well as display images from my NAS, unlike that useless Photo app from Microsoft that comes with 8.1.  Problem is I find that when displaying photos MC is better overall.  Photos look better for some reason.  Also the thumbnails once built make viewing a lot quicker.  Plus there's the use of tags etc.

I guess I just wish there was some more attention given to Images and Theater View. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up