INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze audio - core usage issue [solved]  (Read 1941 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Analyze audio - core usage issue [solved]
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »

NOT implying it's an MC issue, but hoping one of the super users might have a quick tip before the thread gets moved and it's only happened with MC so far

Recently imported about 60 CD's worth, the other day I analyzed about half (4 at once), nothing abnormal

Today analyzed the other half (same settings) and core 3 tripped my alarm at 80C.  Stopped the operation, let things settle and tried again....within seconds it went from 35C to alarm again.  Tried the Intel stress tester, temps never approached 60C!  Tried again with MC and same thing, instant 80C alarm

2 month old i7 4GHz, using turbo but no over clock beyond that.  All 8 case fans working, GPU and CPU fans working.

Thx

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Analyze audio - core usage issue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:20:24 pm »

Is your i7 a 4790K by chance?  If so, try running prime95 for a minute and see if you get the same temps.  The devil's canyon i7's run hot, but some motherboards are dumping too much power on them leading to overheating. With my motherboard's "optimized defaults" I was seeing temps north of 95 degrees with 100% CPU utilization.  After some testing it appeared that the BIOS wasn't respecting the max TDP settings and was just dumping voltage on the processor.  I ultimately found a combination of settings that solved the overheating issue, but it's a widespread problem with certain motherboards and the 4790K's. 

Check out this megathread on the intel forum for some info: https://communities.intel.com/message/260210#260210

The linked post is from an intel engineer explaining what settings you need to fix if this is your issue.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Analyze audio - core usage issue
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:34:58 pm »

thanks a lot! 

it is a 4790k. 

i changed my settings to match those in the thread you linked, re-tried the analyze and the prime95 and although it's hot the alarm didn't trip.  i hope i don't lose any performance but better than a melted core!

thanks again mwillems...although i do wonder why this hasn't ever happened before during analyze

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Analyze audio - core usage issue [solved]
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »

Could just be ambient temperature.  If the cores were (in the past) hovering in the high 70's and your room gets a few degrees warmer then you suddenly trip the alarm.  CPUs in my house run between 5 to 10 degrees hotter at idle in the summer than in the winter because the ambient temp is different. 

If I were you I'd do some temp logging just in case.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Analyze audio - core usage issue [solved]
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »

Thanks again, I love this forum

just for the record of anyone who may find this:

i installed a "proper" heatsink tower to replace the pathetic stock system.  in a 5 minute stress test i went from 90, to 75 with mwillems suggestions, to 55 with a large radiator.  very happy here
Pages: [1]   Go Up