INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: "No audio files to rip"?  (Read 2732 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Question: "No audio files to rip"?
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:57:37 am »

I'm using MC for Mac and am having occasional trouble.  Sometimes I get this pop up that says, "No audio files to rip", or something like that.  Even after two or more "retry" the disc still won't rip.  Sometimes I get three discs in a row with that problem.  I'll find one that will rip, then go back and try one of the discs that wouldn't rip and now it will rip.  Any idea what's going on?  How to make MC cooperate?

macdonjh

Re: Question: "No audio files to rip"?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:32:48 am »

Here's the actual message:

"There are no tracks available to rip.  Please ensure an audio CD is in the drive and that tracks are selected."

This message appears, sometimes, after the pop-up that asks you to accept the table of contents information the computer has read off the CD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »

Do you have the most recent version from the top of this board installed?

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »

It's a brand new install, so I think I have the most recent version.  I think I figured the problem out.  Some CDs have multiple entries for cover art and CD TOC information.  When I open the drop down menu and actually pick one, this problem doesn't happen.  At first I was just clicking "accept" thinking that MC would pick the first set of TOC information as default.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »

This isn't a complaint; just a report:  I've only tried to rip maybe 3 or 4 discs with MC for Mac and had trouble with several of those discs.  One in particular gave me a message like you report:  No Audio Tracks To Rip (or some very similar wording).  In that one case, it was a disc with 99 tracks on it, which I'm guessing was the source of the problem.  I ripped that disc a few minutes later with a third party tool and had no issues at all with the rip.

I don't think I've missed any settings for ripping CDs with MC, but maybe?  I just know my failure rate has been HUGE, so I stopped even trying. Again, I'm not complaining at all.  I'm happy with the third party tool and MC does SO MUCH SO WELL, that I don't even care about it ripping CDs.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:31 pm »

This isn't a complaint; just a report:  I've only tried to rip maybe 3 or 4 discs with MC for Mac and had trouble with several of those discs.  One in particular gave me a message like you report:  No Audio Tracks To Rip (or some very similar wording).  In that one case, it was a disc with 99 tracks on it, which I'm guessing was the source of the problem.  I ripped that disc a few minutes later with a third party tool and had no issues at all with the rip.

I don't think I've missed any settings for ripping CDs with MC, but maybe?  I just know my failure rate has been HUGE, so I stopped even trying. Again, I'm not complaining at all.  I'm happy with the third party tool and MC does SO MUCH SO WELL, that I don't even care about it ripping CDs.
Are you sure it was an audio CD?  It sounds like it was just a data CD with audio files on it.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »

Are you sure it was an audio CD?  It sounds like it was just a data CD with audio files on it.

Yes, I'm sure.  Because this album was unusual when it came out.  I bought it new close to the release date in 1992.  It's Nine Inch Nails Broken.  The reason it was unusual was because it had 6 regular songs, and then 91 songs that were all silence at 1 second each.  Then the 2 "hidden" songs were at the very end:  Songs 98 and 99.  The first time or two you played this CD it could catch you by surprise.  Or at least make you hit the next track button a bunch of times.  Or if you were really cool, use the numeric input keypad to dial directly to 98 or 99.

I have the CD sitting here still, so I just tried it again.  MC sees the disc and shows the title in the Devices area.  When I click on the title (which also shows the Unix device name), I see a list of the songs on the disc.  But this only lasts for maybe 1 second.  Then the list disappears and the large pane says "There is no disc.  Insert a disc and double click here to refresh."  Double clicking there, or pressing refresh up top gives a beach ball (spinning wheel indicating program busy) for a few seconds.  Then the list of songs comes back, and disappears again.

I tried about 5 times and got the song list to "stick" once, but some combination of clicking caused it to try to play one of the tracks on the album and when it did the list disappeared again.  It was one of the 1 second tracks so I don't know exactly what was going on.

My other experiences with discs in MC have been no where near as weird, but definitely inconsistent.  Like it will rip 7 out of 9 songs and not rip 2.  Then I try again and it rips the other 2.  I've ripped around 250 audio CDs with this computer and the third party tool.

I hope this helps some.

Brian.

hellvis

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:30:07 pm »

I'm having the same issues.....25% success rate ripping cd's after doing the latest update. Thoughts anyone?

macdonjh

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 08:22:00 am »

I've found the answer to my original problem: some discs have several library entries and I have to choose one of the available entries before I start ripping.  Then everything is OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up