INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver Id as NAS drive  (Read 2546 times)

MellowVelo

• Recent member
Using JRiver Id as NAS drive
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:18 am »

I'm trying to figure out all the possibilities that the JRiver Id could offer me. I'm looking to set up an NAS drive where I can store my music. I then plan to back up the music on the NAS by mounting it via the network to my Macbook and using Crashplan as a backup service. Is it possible to use the JRiver Id as an NAS drive in this way? Would my Macbook be able to see it and mount it?

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere; I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using JRiver Id as NAS drive
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:50 am »

You should be able to mount it on your Mac as a Samba share
ie smb://ipaddress/sharename
You will probably need to stick to filenames that are PC friendly (i.e. no : in the filename).

MellowVelo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:14:23 am »

Thanks, Bob. That's helpful.

I suppose another option would be to install Crashplan directly on the Id. Do you know if it's possible to install a backup program, like Crashplan, on the Id? I'm sorry if this is really basic and should be obvious; I'm just not sure about the extent to which the Id is customizable and allows the user to install additional programs.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:37:43 am »

Thanks, Bob. That's helpful.

I suppose another option would be to install Crashplan directly on the Id. Do you know if it's possible to install a backup program, like Crashplan, on the Id? I'm sorry if this is really basic and should be obvious; I'm just not sure about the extent to which the Id is customizable and allows the user to install additional programs.

It's good to ask and that's a good question!
The Id isn't intended to be user customizable, the focus is to be a turnkey system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:42 am »

If you want to customize your installation, the Linux version of Media Center would be a better choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up