INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not importing newly ripped files by a new artist that are MP3  (Read 4307 times)

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member

Does JRiver have any library size limitations?
I have the lastest update in place.

Today I ripped 8 albums on my Server. The folder structure looks like the following as an example.

G:\itunes\Index\D\Def Leppard\Hysteria

I repeatedly tried to get JRiver to import them from the base index and it searched and would not find them.
Even when I drilled down to a folder for a single album it said no files found.

These are mostly new artists so they are not on a delete list.

They are 256kbps MP3 files with all the appropriate meta data.

This is the identical proceedure I've used on many occassions.

JRiver runs on a separate box that shares this hard drive by WiFi. The WiFi router is in the next room and it has a strong signal at about 72Mbps throughput.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Not importing newly ripped files by a new artist that are MP3
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:42:11 pm »

Check the path to the files *from* the JRiver machine.  Go to the exact drive letter and directory you are using for import.  Do this using Windows Explorer (file explorer, NOT internet explorer).  I'm guessing you are going to find that the drive is mapped to a different letter, or a different path, or something like that.

As far as I know JRiver has no limitations on library size and has been tested with over 500,000 files.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:33:01 am »

If you ripped them with MC, they were automatically imported.

If not, you might want to try it.  There is no better ripper.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:29 am »

Check the path to the files *from* the JRiver machine.  Go to the exact drive letter and directory you are using for import.  Do this using Windows Explorer (file explorer, NOT internet explorer).  I'm guessing you are going to find that the drive is mapped to a different letter, or a different path, or something like that.

As far as I know JRiver has no limitations on library size and has been tested with over 500,000 files.

Brian.

I did exactly that and it still couldn't find the new files.  
I've done this for thousands of files without any problem, and it can still play all the files that has from this same folder structure.

I've decided not to fight with this.

The computer running JRiver currently has no CD/DVD drive on it and simply has an asynchronous USB output to my OPPO 105D, so I haven't use it to rip with and it has been playing all the music files remotely by WiFI.

However the local SSD has plenty of room on it, so I've backed up my entire music library and copied it locally to the SSD on this audio source computer. That will remove most of the WIFI traffic and give me another copy of my music library.

I'm going to reimport the entire library from scratch locally, and reinstall the CD/DVD player on this box.

Hopefully it will work better with a very simple path.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:49:44 am »

Importing from scratch locally imported a lot of files, but it is still skipping some files.

Notice in this case it skipped all but the 5 star rated files in this folder.

I have tried to reimport that folder and it finds no new files every time.  Previously in the last Library it had no problem finding these specific files.

There are other albums with a mixture of rated and unrated files that imported properly so I have no idea why this is happening.

Any suggestions?

i5, 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, Windows 8.1, NVidia GeForce GTX 760, HDMI to TV, USB to OPPO 105D
I didn't run into this problem with FooBar 2000, Music Bee or WinAmp, but I like how JRiver works better and I have JRemote for my wife's Ipad so I'm hoping I can get this to work.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:05:10 am »

It seems there is a bug involving the Meta Data during the Import.

It is blowing away the Meta data on a small number(percentagewise) of the files it is importing or for some reason is unable to read the Meta Data even though it had previously.

So the tracks end up under "Unassigned" at the bottom. In some cases I can see the Meta Data is no longer there and in other case I can see it exists but JRiver is not recognizing it.

This seems to be almost a random issue.

I had 3 albums under Unassigned including the tracks that didn't show up in my listing above.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:48:10 am »

It's not likely that there is a bug in MC's metadata handling.  It's most likely that it isn't in the files.

Check the Album Artist tag.  It may not be set correctly.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:22:55 am »

I verified that the meta data was there originally and was stripped out after JRiver imported the albums. I have two copies of the music in addition to what is on the PC running JRiver.  The original is on a desktop hard drive, the second is on a 64Gb USB fob that was copied to the local drive.

The music was ripped with iTunes and then transferred to the local SSD with all the meta data intact.

JRiver even stripped out meta data on tracks that it had imported successfully previously across WiFi, but when importing locally it still cleared out some of them. So the issue isn't that it doesn't like particular files.

Statistically it hit 1.5% of the imported tracks and it seems to be doing it to entire albums at a time, except in the example above where it pulled over the files that were rated and cleared the meta data out of the ones that were not rated. Interesting behavior...

Once I reconstructed the MetaData everything worked fine.

I guess it is something I'll just have to watch. Definitely a hard issue to debug given how intermittent it is.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 07:03:19 am »

How did you determine that the metadata was there in the first place?  iTunes stores some metadata in its database and not in the files.

MC does not remove metadata unless you tell it to.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »

The original files have the meta data saved with them.

The picture below is the copy of the music library on the 64Gb USB Fob that I used to copy the music library to my PC running JRiver.
As you can see the meta data was intact for all of the tracks and not just those with a 5 star rating.

Yet after I ran the import function on JRiver the Track numbers and the Title was gone among other meta data, or were at least not recognized by JRiver and it would not import that meta data.  I had to rekey that information in through the JRiver tags feature before it would recognize them.

Please keep in mind that JRiver had successfully imported this entire album in it's original position over WiFi, so I'm not sure why the exact same files would not be recognized later on a local drive.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »

Let me characterize this bug a little better.

Sometimes JRiver doesn't see the metadata even if I can view the meta data with the File Explorer.

So what it does is throws the tracks into Unassigned.

In Unassigned I can see the tracks with no Meta Data at all.

The second I touch any meta data in JRiver with the tag editor it then clears ALL of the rest of the META data out since it doesn't see it.

Unfortunately that requires that I edit ALL of the meta data in manually.

This is definitely a bug. JRiver refuses to see  meta data that I can view from the File Explorer but only a small percentage of the time and the only way I can get it to see these tracks properly is to manually use the Tag editor to rekey the meta data that already exists.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:58:03 pm »

When you're viewing files in Explorer, I'm not certain that what you're seeing is the metadata.  Maybe someone else can answer that.

There are also file permissions to consider.  Files transferred from a USB stick might be affected.

I know you believe there is a bug there, but it would be very surprising if it were the case.

Maybe someone who uses a different tag editor could help.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 05:01:11 pm »

To me the key to this mystery is to examine one of your files that shows up "ok" in file explorer, but no good in JRiver.  Can you post one or more of these files on dropbox, or some other file hosting service?  Make sure it's one that shows up in JRiver as unassigned, or whatever other "broken" symptoms it has. 

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »

Thanks, Brian.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:29 pm »

When you're viewing files in Explorer, I'm not certain that what you're seeing is the metadata.  Maybe someone else can answer that.

There are also file permissions to consider.  Files transferred from a USB stick might be affected.

I know you believe there is a bug there, but it would be very surprising if it were the case.

Maybe someone who uses a different tag editor could help.

Yes I am ABSOLUTELY positive I am looking at the meta data.

Let me characterize this issue very specifically.

1. It only happens during the import process.
2. The MetaData is in the filesystem data, but JRiver doesn't see it for a small number of files. Which files it can not see the MetaData for "appears" random and is a small percentage.
3. At this point JRiver has blank MetaData associated with some files in its library and it will not recognize the metadata for those files.
4. If I change one meta data field in the tag editor, JRiver writes all the MetaData fields down at once. Unfortunately it thinks most of these fields are blank so it ends up clearing the MetaData at the filesystem level.

The tough part about an issue like this is that I can guarantee that the specific code that reads the Meta data from the file system is very straight forward and looks absolutely perfect. The problem is going to be somewhere after that when the file information is buffered/cached and sorted. Under some odd circumstances JRiver is losing the metadata associated with some of the files(only during the import process).

Would you like me to zip up the folder with Alice In Chains Unplugged from the original source and also the intermediate copy of the source?

This will only prove that the metadata is intact. The question is why JRiver not recognizing the meta data during the import process in what seems like random behavior.  Once JRiver decides it can't read the meta data it stays in that state and won't re-import those files. So it knows it already has them and doesn't refresh the meta data at that point.

I could save my current library, create a new one and reimport all the files again. It should get confused on a few albums worth of files that may be useful for diagnostic work. It would be interesting to repeat that process and see if it picks the exact same files to put in unassigned each time or if it picks different files.

I have a lot of time invested in organizing my music, so I just want to make sure that I can easily switch back to the current library before I start.

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:39 pm »

Definitely upload at least 2 songs from that Alice In Chains album, as long as they are still "broken".

In terms of creating a new library then returning to your old one, you should be just fine.  Of course you'll want to make a backup of your current library with File > Library > Back Up Library.   You should have automatic backups every few days, but it's good to get one *right* before you do something else.

Create a new library with some name that makes it obvious that it's a test library.  You should be able to easily switch back and forth between your good library and your test library.  Just click File > Library and choose the library you want.

Brian.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 05:47:43 am »

I found it!

JRiver doesn't recognize any of the MetaData if it the file has a MetaData Comments value of 0  

In most cases this field is blank and JRiver is perfectly happy with Blank.

I'm betting that 0 is not a legal value for the MetaData field and it is causing issues.

JRiver couldn't see the MetaData for this Better than Ezra album and put it in unassigned.

I just ripped this album again and I see that the Comments now have 10 hexidecimal values which JRiver is perfectly happy with.

In the following case you can see that the Title, Artist, Album and rating metadata are intact for all of these files.
However whenever the Comments field is 0 JRiver is unable to read the rest of the metadata for a given file.

I believe this is mystery solved :)
Whenever I use the Tag editor in JRiver it appears to clear the Comment field.
But only when you exit JRiver and it updates those fields

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 06:14:36 am »

Could we get a sample of the file that has the 0 in the comments field?  It may have another problem character.  0 shouldn't matter.

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 09:48:31 am »

Private message sent with link to example file.

I was about to write a small program to examine all the metadata fields by name and value, but I have other fish to fry right now.

Good luck!

RCHeliGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »

Any luck finding an issue ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up