INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Streams and playlists and JRemote  (Read 5879 times)

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck
Radio Streams and playlists and JRemote
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:17 am »

I can't for the life of me save a radio stream to a playlist.  I can play the stream within the JRiver browser and save to CONNECTED MEDIA in AUDIO however I cant seem to get it to come up in a PLAYING NOW screen which I believe I need in order to do the "right click" to save to a playlist. I have monkeyed around with this and getting nowhere.  Ultimately I would like be able to queue up radio streams from JRemote via playlists (I think this is possible?).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Radio Streams and playlists and JRemote
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:57:48 am »

You have to save it in MC, not in JRemote.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:00:44 am »

While playing the station in standard view in MC, you can right click from the display header and send it to a playlist.

I don't use playlists much, so having them available in a standard view is easier for me. In either My Connected Media or in the Playlist, you can set a tag like Media Sub Type to  Radio and then build a new standard view for radio stations based on that tag. You can also set Genre to help organize them in the standard view. You can then set the view to appear in Gizmo, and I assume in JRemote.

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:23 am »

I have been trying to do this in MC standard view.  I must be missing something.
I have it in standard view, I can click go to CONNECTED MEDIA click the station and it opens the browser within JRiver and plays from host computer.  Nowhere on the page/header/tab/etc. can I right click and get the stream to a PLAYLIST.  I cannot even figure out how to get to show up in PLAYING NOW (the examples I have seen show it in the PLAYING NOW screen to be in position to add to PLAYLIST.

http://antennechillout.radio.de/

This is the station I often have streaming and I am pretty sure it streams in MP3

Perhaps this helps.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:39:52 pm »

It appears that site has its own player build in and does not stream using open streaming url techniques. Therefore you cannot capture the streaming url and put it into MC. I tried an app called URL Snooper and it did not detect a streaming url. Unfortunately, that means there is probably not a streaming url that you can put directly into MC. The same thing happens with Pandora. You can tell the website is not playing through MC because the stop, play, volume, etc. commands do not work. Someone else with more experience than I may have a suggestion.

To see how it works with radio stations that support open streaming, search on Linn Radio and select one of the stations to play. You will see the streaming url in Playing Now and will be able to copy it to a playlist.

Unfortunately, it seems the website you are using does not want you to stream except within their application.

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:42:28 pm »

Thanks for the reply dtc.

You know it streams no problem through a Yamaha receiver.  I am not sure but they may have their own site (Yamaha) that handles the streaming on their receivers.

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:01:25 pm »

Nailed it.
Just had to find the right stream.

http://www.antenne.de/webradio/channels/chillout.m3u

Great background music with also about 0 commercial interruptions.

Always looking for streams with low commercial content.  Some of them have more commercials than FM radio.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

Great. Where did you find the stream?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:06 pm »

I also found

http://mp3channels.webradio.antenne.de/soft-rock.m3u

http://mp3channels.webradio.antenne.de/oldies-but-goldies

I also tried Classic-Rock but could not get that to stream. Not sure why. I may try a few more.

By the way, you can also do cover art for the stations. I use one that says Internet Radio - On Air with a picture of an old radio. Adds some interest when playing.

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:52 pm »

That's it. Nice of them to provide all these urls. My German was too rustic for me to find them.  So far it sounds good, with not many interruptions.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 06:00:20 pm »

here is a draft Wiki Page on how to add these streams to a Playlist - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Connected_Media
JRiver CEO Elect

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »

Probably a subject for a different forum section, but any good music streams you have come across would be appreciated.

A lot of times I like to have music playing and not be concerned with queuing up playlists or just want to hear something different not in my collection.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 06:52:56 pm »

here is a draft Wiki Page on how to add these streams to a Playlist - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Connected_Media

Thanks. This will be a very useful article. I would suggest the following

Add a discussion like the one at the beginning of this thread, namely that not all radio stations are set up with streaming urls (like Pandora)  and that you may need to search for the actual streaming url. Also URL Snooper and other such apps can sometimes find the streaming url. This is a complicated issue, but an overview would be useful.

Discuss how to create an Internet Radio Playlist. Some people use Playlists rather than views.

Discuss adding genre and other tags in addition to Media Sub Type. That will allow people to, for example, break their view by genre or some other tag.

Connected Media in a MC term. I am not sure people looking for information on Internet Radio will understand Connected Media. So there should be an article name Internet Radio, even it just points to the Connected Media article.

In the Gizmo discussion, I would specifically explain how to make then appear in Gizmo (Tools - Options - Media Network - Advanced - Customize Views for Gizmo).

Glad to see this article taking shape. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up