INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7" tablet big enough for JRemote/Android?  (Read 2105 times)

Grenache

• World Citizen
7" tablet big enough for JRemote/Android?
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:49 am »

... or should I go for an 8 or 10" tablet instead? If bigger isn't necessarily better I'd prefer the smaller remote-sized form factor.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 7" tablet big enough for JRemote/Android?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:00:11 am »

You can use it just fine on a phone. In fact, its not very optimized for tablets at all yet. I use it to play video on a 9" tablet though and it works great.
Once we finish optimizing it for tablets, it should look fine on any size from 4" to 10".

So in short, pick whatever size you feel the most comfortable with.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »

I'm currently running it on a 7-inch touchscreen at home.  It mostly works great.  I do see some font clipping issues in JRemote, but my guess is that those would be worse on a 10" tablet than a 7" inch (they get worse when increasing the font scale). 

It's currently very well optimized for phones, and looks great on my Galaxy Note, which is, in terms of size, more or less a 6" tablet.  Glad to hear some tablet love is coming.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »

we have 7" in. tab plus... really wish i had went larger, makes for nicer cover views, larger text/font.
Ir is a nice feature. id recommend getting a model with ir in it if you plan on using it for htpc remote.

i guess what im getting at is originally when we bought ours, i thought small form would be better. but now that ive played with 7 & 10 i/we prefer the 10".

lots of nice swivel stands out there for tabs too.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:58:59 pm »

lots of nice swivel stands out there for tabs too.

Well, I already have two Windows tablets, 8'' and 11'', the last one with a stand connected to my server, the stereo, and the TV via wireless HDMI. Both are running MC/Theater View, but even with the right skin it's not the best touch solution, so I'm really looking for a small'ish tablet to use as a remote. I know very little about Android and even my phone is Windows (yeah, they still exist), but it seems like iOS and Android tablets/phones are getting a lot more JRiver love, so I might as well get one of those instead of waiting for a Windows version of JRemote.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »

no clue bout windows, switched to droid for everything here.

the 7" we have works great otherwise... just that we prefer larger interface in our household.
good luck.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »

Have you tried webgizmo? It's basically Gizmo in a web browser.  It's not as smooth as JRemote (or actual android Gizmo), but it might be a good intermediate solution for your windows tablets.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »

Have you tried webgizmo?

Yes I have, and while it's doing the job it doesn't look anywhere as nice as JRemote - at least judging from the screenshots I've seen. I'm also using the nMedium app on my phone, which I quite like, but unfortunately it hasn't convinced my better half to use MC which is the main goal here.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up