INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Child friendly features - for MC 21 ?  (Read 1776 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Child friendly features - for MC 21 ?
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

There needs to be a better way of restricting content on remotes likes gizmo or jremote. Currently the only option is to set the server to a user account with access to only certain files. Problem is then adults can only watch cartoons on remotes as well. You should be able to select a user account on each remote so each user has access to the appropriate content.

Edit:
This is already possible on full MC clients on pc just not on remotes

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Child friendly features - for MC 21 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »

So this isn't exactly what you're asking for you but I'll tell you how I deal with the issue in my house.

I have a server that's set to the family-friendly user so anyone who uses a remote connected to the server can only see the family friendly stuff. 

But as you noted, full PC clients can change users so they can see everything.  If you log your remote into one of the PC clients set to the "everything user" the remote will also be able to see everything on the server.  So I keep the client MC instance on my own personal computer set to the "everything" user, and when I want to see "everything" on the server I just log into that client with the remote.  I also make sure any "public" devices (or child accessible devices) don't have the access key for my personal computer, etc.

It's not perfect, but it works for me.

justsomeguy

Re: Child friendly features - for MC 21 ?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried that but I'm sure it would probably work.

However shouldn't need 2 servers running 24/7 using double the electricity just to allow the whole family to be able to use MC remote. I may be wrong but since full MC client is already able to do this it seems it should be doable on mobile remotes as well.

Seems anyone with MC and children that access it would find this useful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up