INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed MC Mac 20.0.126, still doesn't work  (Read 5813 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Installed MC Mac 20.0.126, still doesn't work
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:24:58 am »

My trial period ran out and I purchased MC for Mac.  The program won't start because it thinks my trial period is over.  I "restored" my install, but that didn't help.  I downloaded and installed the 20.0.126 update, but that didn't help.  What's the next step?

blgentry

Re: Installed MC Mac 20.0.126, still doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:42:20 am »

You should have been mailed a temporary License Key file that ends in .MJR .  On my system, when I open the MJR file in the default way, it doesn't work!

Instead, right click on the MJR file and choose "open with".  Use Package Installer to open it.  That should properly install your license and let you use MC again.

Good luck!

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »

I have my temporary file ending in .mjr.  When I double click the icon in the "downloads" folder, it says the application has been successfully installed.  When I right-click on it, nothing happens.  I don't know how it could be installed since it's supposed to be for MC-21, and according to the "properties" of my current MC, I have MC 20.0.126.  So I'm still stumped.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

MC21 will be available in a few weeks.  Your license will also work with MC20.

We will e-mail you or you can watch the forum.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »

I have my temporary file ending in .mjr.  When I double click the icon in the "downloads" folder, it says the application has been successfully installed. 

Hopefully that means it worked.  Check to see.  Go to:  Help > Registration Info.  This will tell you if it's registered, what kind of license, and the name it's registered under.

When I right-click on it, nothing happens.

Your right click might not be configured correctly.  Try control-clicking on it instead.  Hold down the Control key (to the left of option) and left click.  You should get a menu that includes "open with".  From there you would want to choose Package Installer.  But only if it's not already registered as per above.

I don't know how it could be installed since it's supposed to be for MC-21, and according to the "properties" of my current MC, I have MC 20.0.126.  So I'm still stumped.

This is an unusual situation.  You purchased a license for MC21.  But MC21 isn't out yet.  So JRiver has coded MC20 to accept MC21 licenses (as well as MC20 licenses).  That way you can use MC20 until MC21 is released.  As Jim said, when MC21 comes out, there will be an announcement and you can download it and install it.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »

It may not register the MC21 license if there is already an MC20 license present.

But I don't think there is any problem now.  It works and is registered.  Just wait for MC21.

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »

Brian & Jim,

I can't get to "Help" to check my registration because all MC will allow me to do is view a pop-up that says "your trial subscription has ended".

Control-left click didn't bring up a menu, either.  The downloads pop-up closed.

I'd prefer not to wait for MC21, I can't use anything until it's released.

Do you have any other ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »

When you see the trial has expired message, there should be two other options to Buy or Restore.  Can you post a screenshot?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »

It sounds to me like you are using the downloads popup fan looking thing on the dock (at the bottom of the screen).  That's kind of a convenient shortcut to downloads, but it doesn't give you all of the power to do the things I'm talking about, like right clicking, using the control key, etc.

Instead, let's look at your downloads folder with Finder.  Finder is the Mac's file browser.  It should be an icon on your dock that looks like a light blue smiley face.  Click on Finder, then find Downloads.  In downloads, find your license file, and try doing the right click and opening it with Package Installer.  That *should* get you all fixed up.

Let us know how you do.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:00:04 pm »

Tried it, still stumped.

I tried opening my Medai Center21 Mac-298294-2.mjr file using PackageInstaller and was told, via pop-up, that it is successfully installed.

Then I tried opening Media Center 20 from the Launcher.  No dice, actually, no action at all.  Finally, I tried opening my MediaCenter200094.dmg file using DiscImage Mounter and that's when I got the "trial subscription expired" pop up.  Yes, there are choices for "more information", "purchase", "restore license" (which I've done twice), and "Cancel".

Still can't get the program to operate.

edwarise

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:20 pm »

I have the same problem. I had licence for MC20 for PC. I needed one for Mac so I upgraded to maserlicence (Mc21 by the way). It was difficult - to upgrade - terrible system - by I did it in the end (spent a lot of time). but now MC20 didn't work at my Mac - it says it expires. what I need to do??

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »

Then I tried opening Media Center 20 from the Launcher.  No dice, actually, no action at all.  Finally, I tried opening my MediaCenter200094.dmg file using DiscImage Mounter and that's when I got the "trial subscription expired" pop up.

Version 20.0.94 is old enough that it does not accept the new style licenses.  You need a more recent build.  Please download the latest build from the thread at the top of the forum.  Right now that's built 126:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98584.0

When you open the DMG file, drag Media Center into the Applications folder.  That way it will be installed correctly.  That's standard procedure for most Mac apps, just in case you weren't aware.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 04:23:33 pm »

I have the same problem. I had licence for MC20 for PC. I needed one for Mac so I upgraded to maserlicence (Mc21 by the way). It was difficult - to upgrade - terrible system - by I did it in the end (spent a lot of time). but now MC20 didn't work at my Mac - it says it expires. what I need to do??

Same advice as above:  Download the latest build from the top of the forum and install.  Hopefully that will get it running for you.  :)

Brian.

edwarise

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

ok, thank you!

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
License problem
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:34 am »

I purchased MC for MAC. I correctly registered the product. All went OK for fours days and now JR shows unlicensed status with days remaining ticking down. What gives? I should not have to keep reentering my correct license. JR says my license is not recognized. What the heck?! - it is the license number I was given. Can someone please help me correct this once and for all.

blgentry

Re: License problem
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:28 am »

You should have been mailed a license activation file that ends in MJR.  You have to run that file to install the license.  On some Macs just running it doesn't work as expected and it must be opened with Package installer (right click, open with, choose package installer).

The other "gotcha" is the new licenses only work with the VERY NEWEST builds of MC for Mac.  I'm not sure where the cutoff is, but if you're using anything other than the latest build (currently build 126), install the latest build, then run your license file, and you should be taken care of.  Help > Registration info will be your double check to make sure your registration is correct.

Don't worry, once you get the license installed correctly, you shouldn't need to do it again.

Good luck!

Brian.

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »

I purchased Master License and installed latest MC for Mac. It seemed it took my registration number initially, then week later shows my trial period running down.

I tried to reinstall the Masters license I was given after purchase. I'm told JR does not recognize that license number. I email help here and told to download latest version and complete registration with my license number. Huh?

I'll get same result.  I tried updating my MC Windows from version 19 to latest version and my masters license doesn't work on it either. I reverted back to Windows version 19.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »

I removed some of the ill humor in your post.

A license problem like this is usually:

A typo in the license.  0 and O look alike, but one is a number.  Same with 1 and I.

or

Wrong version.  Tell us what version you have installed.

or

Wrong license.  A Mac license won't work on Windows or vice versa, for example.

Please post the version you're using.  Don't post your license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 04:41:13 pm »

Brian,
You had a typo in the license you just sent me.  I returned the correct license to you.

Jim

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
User error
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:09 pm »

My previous post all for naught as I had one of the alpha/numeric characters in my license wrong. Thank you Jim at JRiver support for straightening it out.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 07:11:04 pm »

You're welcome.  And thanks.  It's liberating to own a mistake.

macdonjh

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »

Tried it, still stumped.

I tried opening my Medai Center21 Mac-298294-2.mjr file using PackageInstaller and was told, via pop-up, that it is successfully installed.

Then I tried opening Media Center 20 from the Launcher.  No dice, actually, no action at all.  Finally, I tried opening my MediaCenter200094.dmg file using DiscImage Mounter and that's when I got the "trial subscription expired" pop up.  Yes, there are choices for "more information", "purchase", "restore license" (which I've done twice), and "Cancel".

Still can't get the program to operate.

UPDATE: So I ran an Apple update for Yosemite, then tried opening MC20 again.  It now works, but that silly pop-up that tells me my trial license has expired still pops up.  So either the Yosemite update changed something, or I've had an embarrassing operator error in that I didn't wait long enough for the "Continue" button in the pop-up window to "activate", or the pixie dust I sprinkled over my system worked.

Anyway, somehow the problem is solved.

blgentry

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 08:38:04 pm »

You definitely shouldn't get the expired message every time.  Have you stopped and restarted MC to see if it comes back?  What version of MC are you using?

I guess if you're happy that's all that matters.  It just seems like something still isn't correct.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up