INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TMDb Get Movie Info Not Working  (Read 3223 times)

jokerace

• Recent member
TMDb Get Movie Info Not Working
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:24:25 pm »

I am on the latest (132) and the previous version (131) had the same issue.  MC fails to retrieve any info from TMDb and often fails to retrieve from RT.  It takes longer than usual to show me the list of resources and when I select a resource (such as TMDb) to view the listing, 'Loading Result...' is displayed for an unusually long time and then it says 'No information available from the selected result'.

My internet connection is fine and I can browse the TMDb and RT websites fine.  MC doesn't seem to have any other network related issues.

Any ideas?  I'm out of ideas since everything I can think of checks out okay.

Thanks

P.S. - Does anyone know why the RT cover art is so terrible?  The resolution of the images is horrible and makes it impractical to use RT for art.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TMDb Get Movie Info Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:16 pm »

Just tested. Working fine here.

Try uninstalling any security suite you have installed, to make sure it isn't the culprit. Disabling them often doesn't work (you can try that first, but if that doesn't help, it doesn't tell you much). If that fixes it, you'll need to figure out how to make an exception in your software for MC and its associated processes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:40:23 pm »

just an fyi,  i just imported 20 some files.  and ran tvdb on all of them just fine.

P.S. - Does anyone know why the RT cover art is so terrible?  The resolution of the images is horrible and makes it impractical to use RT for art

ive noticed this as well for quite some time...  its 100% unusable.

jokerace

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:41:23 pm »

Just tested. Working fine here.

Okay, so now I might guess it's a me issue.  What process is invoked for these retrievals?  Is it possible that my firewall is blocking a helper process from MC other than the Media Center and JR Web App?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:52:12 am »

P.S. - Does anyone know why the RT cover art is so terrible?  The resolution of the images is horrible and makes it impractical to use RT for art.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't provide any high quality cover art anymore, as they want to focus on aggregated ratings and reviews.
See: http://developer.rottentomatoes.com/forum/read/184496 (Point 1)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jokerace

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:00:59 am »

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't provide any high quality cover art anymore, as they want to focus on aggregated ratings and reviews.
See: http://developer.rottentomatoes.com/forum/read/184496 (Point 1)

Thanks for the heads up.  That's kind of lame.

But not a big deal if I could just solve my current issue.  I've looked at the log output and I see nothing unusual.  I'm having trouble even spotting the point of failure.  The initial lookups succeed but there is some back and forth with the library that muddles the waters and makes the issue more difficult to spot.

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:55:57 am »

What process is invoked for these retrievals?  Is it possible that my firewall is blocking a helper process from MC other than the Media Center and JR Web App?

I provided a simple way to diagnose once-and-for-all if your firewall was blocking it.

Here's details on how to exclude MC's various processes in Windows Defender. You'll want to do the same with your application:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

jokerace

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »

I provided a simple way to diagnose once-and-for-all if your firewall was blocking it.

Thank you for your attempt to help.

It turns out that it was NOT a firewall that was blocking the requests.  It was the Web Protocol Filter in ESET Smart Security v9 Beta (it could be a problem with NOD32 and other versions).  I actually had the ESET Firewall disabled completely.

You have to exclude the J River processes from filtering and everything returns to normal.

I still haven't figured out why ESET detected a threat in the requests/responses but it obviously doesn't like the method in which it is currently done.

This may be an important tip for any users of ESET products.  If you want to add this to the troubleshooting wiki, I'm sure it will save others a lot of hassle and time.  I was digging through logs, sniffing network traffic, analyzing packets, etc. before I came to this solution.  I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through any of this.

(Now I wonder what other issues the web filter could be causing with other processes.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »

The web protocol filter is effectively a firewall.  Thanks for reporting the solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »

The web protocol filter is effectively a firewall.

Yep.

Pages: [1]   Go Up