INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 won't open correctly due to Skin fail  (Read 5469 times)

PAR57

• Recent member
MC 20 won't open correctly due to Skin fail
« on: August 02, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »

I downloaded a test DSD file which my Win 8.1 machine decided to try to open directly in MC 20 unsuccesfully. Music file downloads are normally routed to my music files folder.

MC 20 ( 20.03.01.1311) tried to open but I got a message saying " Failure to load skin Noir. Reverting to default skin". This was followed by a second message " Failed to load default skin. Unable to continue. Please reinstall Media Center".

MC 20 will, however open eventually behind the messages albeit with the default skin irrespective of what choice has been selected in "view".

I have since tried 4 uninstall/reinstalls of MC 20 , the last using Revo uninstaller to remove any fragments. The problem remains with the first skin fail message giving the identity of  the last skin selected ( currently "Black on Black").

The reimastalls always have my registration correct automatically and I do not have to restore the licence. However that they are different installs is shown by the need to generate a new library server access code for Gizmo and to re configure MC20 for my hardware player ( DAC).

Any ideas how to correct his. NB: I am pretty much a newbie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 20 won't open correctly due to Skin fail
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:58:36 pm »

It's not a problem I know.  It could be an antivirus issue. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:32:01 pm »

I reported the same in the build 132 thread as it started after I upgraded to that build

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99073.msg686084#msg686084

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:40:03 pm »

Are you using antivirus software?

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »

Yes, the rubbish McAfee that Dell bundle. I'll close it and report back.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:55 pm »

Are you using antivirus software?
No. Note that, for me, this only started after I upgraded to 132. It was fine beforehand.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »

These may be two different problems. 

If closing McAfee doesn't do it, then uninstall it.  It's the only way to be sure it's not the problem.

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:09:20 am »

No luck with the problem by closing MCAfee although I can see where McAfee scans JRiver upon opening as it sent me a message at that point to warn me it was closed ( hmmm). So removal of McAfee is an option but as it is a bundled app I have no way of restoring it subsequently without doing a factory restore which will risk losing too much wanted data elsewhere. Unfortunately I currently do not have JRiver installed on a dedicated PC ( intended for later this summer when I install my NAS). I am running it  and the music files on my general computer to learn about it before the NAS commitment.

As I cannot find an easy solution to this problem ( it's definitely build 131) I may wait a couple of weeks and install MC21 to see if that cures it. Does that seem rreasonable?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:03:48 am »

It's not likely to be an MC20 or MC21 problem.  Anything is possible, but uninstalling the AV is the only way to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

Windows has Windows Defender which works pretty well. 

Musicman300000

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:32 pm »

Same problem Here! I absolutly will not uninstall the AV however I did Call Terminix & they said the they could not help but said MC had some major Bug problems.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:37 am »

Same problem Here! I absolutly will not uninstall the AV however I did Call Terminix & they said the they could not help but said MC had some major Bug problems.
Uninstalling is just a test.  It would tell you whether the AV is the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:02 am »

What else do you have in common?  What version of Windows, for example?

Are you using any unusual software?  Video related?

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »

This is to confirm that removing McAfee corrected the problem. MC20 opened normally and the selected skin "Black on Black" was properly saved. However skin "Noir" remains unavailable.

When the AV software was restored the problem did not return ( aside from the unavailabilty of "Noir").

Windows is 8.1 and there is no unusual software aside from custom USB2 drivers from dCS ( my DAC's manufacturer) incorporating WASAPI or ASIO. The video capabilities of MC20 are not used by me.

During the process of the test above it became apparent from a system test that I have a hard disk failure imminent and so a new hard disk will be installed tomorrow. This will result in my having to undertake a complete re-install of MC20 so hopefully "Noir" will return.
Pages: [1]   Go Up