INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does System Volume work with 64-bit precision?  (Read 2466 times)

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
Does System Volume work with 64-bit precision?
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:32:11 am »

Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks is a 64 bit operating system.

Can I therefore assume that choosing "system volume" for volume control will give me the same 64-bit precision as "internal volume" does?

Or is there still a difference in sound quality when using a really good dac and loudspeakers?

I couldn't find any infos in the manual pages.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Does System Volume work with 64-bit precision?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:44:40 am »

The system volume will be up to the system.  I highly doubt it uses 64-bit, but I can't be sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:54:54 am »

The system volume will be up to the system.  I highly doubt it uses 64-bit, but I can't be sure.

Thanks for your reply. How can I find out for sure? Due to different volume scales I find it hard to do a direct comparison.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:09 am »

If you want to be sure that you get a 64 bit process on your volume control, use Internal.  Internal is processed by JRiver itself, using a 64 bit engine.

I can't think a good reason to use System Volume, but maybe you have some use I'm not aware of.  Internal works really well, and you're guaranteed a pure 64 bit processing path the whole way.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:59 pm »

If you want to be sure that you get a 64 bit process on your volume control, use Internal.  Internal is processed by JRiver itself, using a 64 bit engine.

I can't think a good reason to use System Volume, but maybe you have some use I'm not aware of.  Internal works really well, and you're guaranteed a pure 64 bit processing path the whole way.

Brian.

It's just a matter of convenience. I've got very efficient loudspeakers. The non attenuated signal forces me to set the volume control of my preamp very low, not even at the 9 o'clock position, which is not the best potentiometer setting. I prefer to set it at 3 o'clock and reduce the signal via internal volume in MC down to 52% (-24dB).

But now, say I quit MC and go to YouTube or VLC, playing back some video, the sound assault will be enormous should I forget to adjust the preamp before launching that program. It might even damage my speakers. At the very least that sudden assault is very annoying. System volume would take care of that.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 02:23:32 pm »

It's just a matter of convenience. I've got very efficient loudspeakers. The non attenuated signal forces me to set the volume control of my preamp very low, not even at the 9 o'clock position, which is not the best potentiometer setting.

Unless your pre-amp is unusual you may have a faulty assumption.  The majority of analog volume controls have the greatest noise at exactly 50% (the 12 o'clock position), and the least noise at either extreme (the lowest and highest settings). So unless your pre's volume control has an unusual design, 3 o'clock will be just as noisy as 9 o'clock.  Additionally, you're getting the worst of both worlds in terms of noise and dynamic range by using an analog volume control and then adding significant digital attenuation on top.  

If you need the pre in the chain, you might be better off just setting the pre to 9 and forgetting about it (and I say this as someone who uses a pure digital volume control with very sensitive speakers)

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:43:05 am »

. . . . Additionally, you're getting the worst of both worlds in terms of noise and dynamic range by using an analog volume control and then adding significant digital attenuation on top.  

Since I need the pre-amp, I guess your suggestion works best for me. Thank you for your input.

Pages: [1]   Go Up