INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best way to use JRiver / Oppo103 / NAS  (Read 2761 times)

jabwylie

• Recent member
The best way to use JRiver / Oppo103 / NAS
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:51:12 am »

However much I read there never seems to be a 'this works' answer, always workarounds needed.

I currently run JRiver from Mac , through iPad, to Oppo103. Works fine and dandy, but I would like to store all my files on NAS and do same.

Is there a way to do this without hassle e.g. , buy this NAS, plug it into network, jriver works fine?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: The best way to use JRiver / Oppo103 / NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:46:33 am »

We don't recommend which NAS to use.  Maybe other people can suggest one.

But if the NAS works reliably, MC will work.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

I don't use JRiver with a NAS, so I can't give you direct experience.  But NAS works fine with OSX in general, and lots of people use JRiver with NAS on Windows.  I'm sure there are a good number of people doing it on OSX as well.  The biggest difference between running with a NAS under OSX versus Windows is there are no drive letters under OSX.

Configuring your user account so that it maps NAS shares when you log in seems to be the only real challenge.  I've read up on it and it seems not too hard, but it's not as automatic as I'd like it to be.

Are you wanting to use a NAS to share music between computers?  Will they all run MC?  If so there are several other configuration issues to work through to get several copies of MC to see all of the music and metadata.

Brian.

zombie-wmd

• Recent member
  • Form is Emptiness - Emptiness is Form
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:05:40 am »

However much I read there never seems to be a 'this works' answer, always workarounds needed.

I currently run JRiver from Mac , through iPad, to Oppo103. Works fine and dandy, but I would like to store all my files on NAS and do same.

Is there a way to do this without hassle e.g. , buy this NAS, plug it into network, jriver works fine?

greetings -

I use a Synology DS215j.  Works great for Kodi, Plex, and Media Center, under Windows, OS X, and a Raspberry Pi running Debian.  I run both audio and video through Media center, under all these flavors.  Just connect to your shares under the OS you are using and Media Center will see them as just other drives.  I run the HDMI outputs from my PC, Mac Mini, and Raspberry, into an Onkyo receiver and from there to a single monitor/sound system.  Since I sometimes work in Windows, OS X and/or Linux simultaneously, it's often the case that MC is accessing NAS on all systems, concurrently.  No problem, it's the job of the NAS to prevent collision problems. The Oppo103 is a clever piece of equipment so I assume it can see networked shares.  If your device can get to a NAS, then you're golden.

Have fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up