INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No output from Core Audio  (Read 3935 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
No output from Core Audio
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:13:01 am »

Hi all –

It's been so long since I used Core Audio running to headphones that I forgot what the default settings are. I think this should be working...

...but all I get is a split second of the song before playback stops.

Audio from other apps is fine. I'm playing from a remote server (just MP3s @ 44.1kHz). No error is given. (And I tried to look at the log but clicking the View Current Log button doesn't do anything as well.)

I checked the wiki to look for the default config, but nothing's there. That might be a useful thing to put in, as in a "get this working, and then get fancy" fallback.

Thanks all –
Micah

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: pretend-I'm-a-noob question: no output from Core Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:25:33 am »

...but all I get is a split second of the song before playback stops.

That sounds like the symptom of Integer mode on hardware that's not supported.  Uncheck Integer mode and try again.  Note, you may have to completely stop playback first.  To be extra sure, you might want to completely exit MC after you make the change and launch the program again.

Brian.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:28:58 am »

I had checked and un-checked Integer Mode several times, but never restarted MC. That helped...but now playback stops after a second. Next ideas?

Thanks!
Micah

PS: just noticed my screen shots are huge. Sorry.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Under Sample Rate try changing the output for 48,000 and less to 48,000hz.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:32:34 am »

Under Sample Rate try changing the output for 48,000 and less to 48,000hz.

Nope, same thing, a second of output then it stops.

Micah

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:56 am »

Does another player work with the hardware you are trying to use?  It sounds like a built in sound card in a Mac?  Maybe try VLC, just to verify that the hardware and OSX can talk to each other for more than 1 second.

What do you mean about "playing from a remote server" ?  I wonder if that might be related.

Brian.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:51:47 am »

Does another player work with the hardware you are trying to use?  It sounds like a built in sound card in a Mac?  Maybe try VLC, just to verify that the hardware and OSX can talk to each other for more than 1 second.

What do you mean about "playing from a remote server" ?  I wonder if that might be related.

Yep. Like I said, audio from other apps is fine: Rdio has been providing my music this morning instead.

Core Audio is the built-in Mac sound card, yes.

"Remote server" = library server located in a remote location, i.e. not on a local network. It is unlikely that is the case as it's not a streaming throughput issue (on either end) considering how streaming over my phone works fine.

Micah

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:27 am »

Yep. Like I said, audio from other apps is fine: Rdio has been providing my music this morning instead.

Ok, so we know the hardware works properly with OSX.  Check.

Core Audio is the built-in Mac sound card, yes.

Core Audio is the Mac's audio sub system.  Core audio can be selected from MC to drive a built in sound card, a USB DAC, etc.  As long as the hardware is directly connected to the Mac, it's usually going to use Core Audio.

"Remote server" = library server located in a remote location, i.e. not on a local network. It is unlikely that is the case as it's not a streaming throughput issue (on either end) considering how streaming over my phone works fine.

I don't know how your system is set up.  Just because your phone can stream (from jriver?) doesn't mean the client on MC will work correctly.  Can you try some local files on MC on your Mac and see if they play ok?  If they don't, you've probably got some sort of audio configuration problem with MC.  If they *do* play, then it's more likely related to the fact that you're trying to stream from the remote server.

Brian.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:57 am »

Core Audio is the Mac's audio sub system.  Core audio can be selected from MC to drive a built in sound card, a USB DAC, etc.  As long as the hardware is directly connected to the Mac, it's usually going to use Core Audio.

Oh, okay, then I guess I was unclear what you were asking for clarification when you said it sounds like a built-in sound card...

I don't know how your system is set up.  Just because your phone can stream (from jriver?) doesn't mean the client on MC will work correctly.  Can you try some local files on MC on your Mac and see if they play ok?  If they don't, you've probably got some sort of audio configuration problem with MC.  If they *do* play, then it's more likely related to the fact that you're trying to stream from the remote server.

Okay. Well, not to sound snarky, I wouldn't've mentioned it could stream over my phone if it wasn't from MC. That wouldn't be relevant, but I guess you don't know what I know and vice-versa. :)

So anyways, yep, nothing plays in a library made of files located on my machine. Same symptoms: about a second of music, then stop, with no error.

Thanks –
Micah

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 11:20:25 am »

Hmm, interesting.  So local files have the same symptoms, which points to an audio configuration issue.  Nothing really obvious comes to mind.  I would try the following:

1.  Hardware buffering:  Try setting it to another setting like Maximum.  Test.
2.  Software Buffering:  Increase to 250 mS.  Test.
3.  Disable all of the DSP stuff you have selected except for output format.  Test.
4.  Go to output format and set everything to 44.1 kHz output.  Test.

I'm not sure if any of these will make a difference or not.  Maybe someone else has seen this problem on a Mac before and will have better suggestions.

Brian.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Re: No output from Core Audio
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 11:24:51 am »

No luck on all of those things. >:(

I am officially stumped. Any Mac whizzes out there want to take a stab? I have never had any issues with MC on Mac before, and I've been using it since one of the first betas.

Thanks –
Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 09:00:22 am »

Bumpity-bump... Anyone have an idea?

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:10:57 am »

Try simplifying things.

Turn off all DSP settings, including Output Format, and see if you can get anything to play.  Then add settings and test, one at a time.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:14:41 am »

Oh, I didn't try turning off Output Format before (I figured it needed that one to do anything). I just tried that and, nope, no luck.

Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 02:10:44 pm »

An update, though perhaps not helpful:

I downloaded the Windows version and installed it on the Win 7 VM I have on the same machine I am trying to use in the OS X version. I changed the audio driver to WASAPI and it plays fine when I connect to the same remote server.

So this is a stopgap solution for now, anyway.

Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:46 am »

Well, I'm back home, back hooked up to my Saffire Pro 14, and restored my audio settings, thinking it was a good thing I saved them all before I started tweaking them...and now output is all glitchy. >:(

Anyone have any idea? I tried all of the above things again (disabling everything, etc) and the output remains the same.

Not a good week.  :(

Micah

EDIT: this is not going through Core Audio, in case that isn't clear, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread to whine when the previous issues were unsolved.
EDIT pt 2: all other audio apps, from fancy (Ableton Live) to basic (Quicklook on an audio file) work fine.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 11:26:12 am »

Well, here's a goofy one: I solved this recent problem by unlinking a zone. I have/had two paired outputs of this audio device linked. I used channel offset to drive a different set of DSP settings for my headphones. Well, unlinking them solved the issue. Weird.

MC been driving me batty this week. ::)

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up