INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: raspberry pi 2 features  (Read 3192 times)

marrahm

• Recent member
raspberry pi 2 features
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:50:36 am »

used JR about 10 versions ago with great success in windows.  picked up an RP2 and have been using other tools to stream internet radio as well as audio from nas.  those tools have some serious limitations and i just learned about the JR linux port, so a few newbie questions:

-can JR rip on RP2 from a usb drive in flac and dump to a temp drive and then dump to an NAS
-can JR do web radio streams?
-can JR support a headless web gui (i saw the thread on hacking one, but i'm hoping that stock now)
-can JR support streaming services like amazon prime, google play, tidal, etc.?

thanks in advance,
mike

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: raspberry pi 2 features
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »

-can JR rip on RP2 from a usb drive in flac and dump to a temp drive and then dump to an NAS

If you mean "rip from a CD drive," the answer is no.  CD Ripping is not supported on Linux yet.  Additionally, a Pi is not necessarily a great choice for a CD ripping work station due to power issues (unless you're running a powered USB hub).

-can JR do web radio streams?

Web support is not all the way there in JRiver for Linux.  Some folks have had good luck with web radio streams, others have had less good luck.  There's a 30 day trial, so you can easily try and see how it works for you.

-can JR support a headless web gui (i saw the thread on hacking one, but i'm hoping that stock now)

The answer to this question depends on what you mean by a "headless web UI." 

1) If you mean "can I control playback on a headless pi using an app-style web interface," the answer is yes.  Webgizmo is a web app that will run in any browser and can control playback on the Pi from another computer.  Additionally JRiver provides the Gizmo app for android for free, and a premium app called JRemote for android and ios that costs money.  Any of these solutions will allow you to control playback on the Pi and browse your music library, etc.  These have been around for a while and are fairly mature.

2) If you mean "can I reconfigure settings and do library management on a headless Pi remotely?" The answer is yes, but you'll need to use VNC or remote desktop software.  There are step by step instructions in my Pi quick start guide here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99370.msg687832#msg687832

3) If you mean "can I do all JRiver configuration through a web app?" The answer is no.  You can control playback through a web app, but serious configuration will require using VNC or remote desktop.

-can JR support streaming services like amazon prime, google play, tidal, etc.?

Short answer: no.  The windows version of JRiver has more robust web functionality and a loopback WDM driver that allows it to engage more robustly with streaming services.  The Linux version isn't there yet, so there isn't really a convenient way to engage with those services through JRiver on Linux yet.

marrahm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

very helpful, thanks. 

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 08:15:55 am »

Does JRiver support USB and HAT-style DACs on the Pi?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:00 am »

Does JRiver support USB and HAT-style DACs on the Pi?

If the USB device has proper ALSA support it should work.  I've tested five or six USB devices, and all but one worked well, and the one that didn't work well had some asterisks (indicating issues) in the ALSA compatibility matrix.  Some folks here have had poor luck with xmos-style DACs, but I don't have one so I can't comment

As for hat-style DACs, I'm personally using a hifiberry+ and it works fine (and some other folks are too).  I can't vouch for other hat-style DACs, but if it works correctly with ALSA, it should work with JRiver for the Pi.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »

hifiberry+ is one of the ones I was looking at.  It's been a little while since I've looked into them, so I forget the names of the others. Do you like it? Do you love it?  Any issues with it?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:24:15 pm »

hifiberry+ is one of the ones I was looking at.  It's been a little while since I've looked into them, so I forget the names of the others. Do you like it? Do you love it?  Any issues with it?

The hifiberry works well once you get it setup.  It was a bit of fiddling to configure it, but I've had no complaints with it since.  I'm using it for a secondary system (not for critical listening), but I think it sounds pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up