INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21.0.4 won't store samba file paths in Tools-Options (perhaps elsewhere?)  (Read 2936 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen

Steps

Under latest Ubuntu Studio...
Open JRiver 21.0.4 for Linux
Goto Tools - Options
Click File location
Under Audio (CD rips and Popcasts) double click the file path.
There appears to be no way to copy and paste smb://diskstation.local/music/CD/, so I browse to the file path instead.
Click Open button.

Expected

MC21.0.4 stores the samba file path.

Actual

I get "Invalid directory".
I assume other entries under "File location" will have similar issues.

Thanks...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Steps

Under latest Ubuntu Studio...
Open JRiver 21.0.4 for Linux
Goto Tools - Options
Click File location
Under Audio (CD rips and Popcasts) double click the file path.
There appears to be no way to copy and paste smb://diskstation.local/music/CD/, so I browse to the file path instead.
Click Open button.

Expected

MC21.0.4 stores the samba file path.

Actual

I get "Invalid directory".
I assume other entries under "File location" will have similar issues.

Thanks...

I can open and store filepaths to samba shares just fine (after navigating to them); are you sure your user has the necessary permissions for the mountpoint/share?

AlexS

• World Citizen

I can open and store filepaths to samba shares just fine (after navigating to them); are you sure your user has the necessary permissions for the mountpoint/share?

100% sure.
If I set up an application association with Media Center with file manager, I can go through "browse network", double click a file and it will play through media center for instance.
I can also rename files. I can also create/edit/delete text files within same folders.
Another oddity is however when I double click another file, rather than the same media center instance playing that file, it starts another instance of media center.

Thanks.

AlexS

• World Citizen

To add I do need to add a user/password for the default keyring when I connect to the share.
When I browse through JRiver UI in Tools->options .. Select Folder ... I'm also able to create and delete a folder in there.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

How and where are you mounting your samba shares?  In the home directory? Using the fstab?  Somewhere else or somehow else?  That may be part of the secret; my shares are mounted in my home directory using the fstab.  I also do my own credential handling (in the fstab) rather than using the keyring as I've bad luck accessing shares when counting on the keyring, so that may also be part of the story.

I'm not an Ubuntu user so I don't really know much about how one does things in Ubuntu so forgive me if this all seems old hat.

AlexS

• World Citizen

Thanks I'll try again with fstab mounts.

AlexS

• World Citizen

I added this to /etc/fstab and it works...

//{SERVERIP}/Music /media/Music cifs username={UserName},password={Password},rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,sec=ntlm 0 0

Not very secure (exposed passwords) but will do for now...

I'm not sure if the other file path format needs supporting however?

Thanks for your help!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Yeah, don't put your credentials in a world readable file, there's a better way.  Put your credentials in a root owned file that's readable only by root, and then reference that file in the fstab mount instructions. 

Sample formatting for the file and code snippets available here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba#Add_Share_to_.2Fetc.2Ffstab

Additionally, if you're running a distro that uses systemd (most modern distros), you might want to consider setting them up to automount on first access so that the mount doesn't fail if the system tries to mount the shares before network is up (also described on the wiki entry I linked).
Pages: [1]   Go Up