INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random pops/clicks in playback on MacPro 1,1  (Read 2368 times)

pmariana

Random pops/clicks in playback on MacPro 1,1
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:48:18 pm »

Thanks for your attention folks, newbie here,

I'm hearing very clear pops/clicks in playback of FLAC files (44.1/16 CD Rips using XLD) that occur very randomly, don't repeat at the same point ever in a song, and don't occur when playing back the same files through any other media player (VLC, others). My setup is an older Mac Pro tower, usually called 1,1, and via Schiit Audio Gungnir DAC and Mjolnir Amp, and Senn HD8s.

These FLAC files were ripped on XLD on brand new CDs and when I listen to the CDs in other players, no abnormal sounds occur.

Additionally, the second problem is that MC20 for Mac won't play a CD itself or rip from one, the prog. gives an error message saying there is no disc in the drive, regardless of which drive I've used. It will extremely quickly flash on the screen a list of the tracks on the CD, then it disappears and says "Please Reinsert a Disc and try again" (or to that effect) -- I've been delving into the Settings, but can't see my way to an answer for this second problem.

As I've used XLD a lot so the inability to play CDs and rip them is less painful, the main issue really is the pops/clicks, this makes MC20 unusable for me,

cheers, appreciate your time,

Peter
Maple Ridge, BC

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Random pops/clicks in playback on MacPro 1,1
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:22:34 pm »

Pops and clicks:  Try this option first.

Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Buffering > Hardware

Its probably set to "Maximum (recommended)".  Change it to "Hardware Default" instead.  Stop MC and restart it. Then test again.

Ripping CDs:  I've intermittently seen something very similar to what you're describing.  I think there's a bug or two to be worked out in the CD ripping support of MC for Mac.

Let us know if the above setting helps or not and we can guide you further from there if necessary. 

Good luck!

Brian.

pmariana

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 05:01:13 pm »

Wow!

Thanks blgentry, changed to "Hardware Default" as suggested, etc., and . . . my first true experience of Angela Hewitt giving me the first Contrapunctus of Bach's Art of Fugue, then the first Prelude from the Well Tempered Clavier . . . I had the calmness of mind to almost sense her touch on the keyboard . . . I think it was there,

not joking either!  it seems possible that the overall sound quality was actually better, more musical . . .

that's such a relief, nothing as tortuous as random clicks/pops . . . enough to sap the life out of a chap!

Faith restored, I'm so glad to say, and the ability to rip within MC isn't a big issue, I'm used to using XLD so far and it's quality has been good too,

thanks again, so much,

cheers,

Peter     :)
Maple Ridge, BC

pmariana

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »

Also, I'm bought-in for the update to MC21, so maybe ripping will come along there,

great thanks again,

Peter

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »

Glad I could help you Peter.

Enjoy JRiver.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up