INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client waking the server  (Read 7299 times)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Client waking the server
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:49:57 am »

A thing that has bugged me using JRiver for ages and i wonder if its an easy fix

My set up is

Server
Client 1 (Surface pro 3)
Client 2 ( Mini pc wired to my network)
several devices running JRemote on android

Here is an example of my problem.

My server is in sleep state, i go into bedroom and wake my bedroom client pc from sleep - MC is already running from my previous viewing earlier. The client does not wake the server.................... The only way to wake the server is to close MC20 on the client and re open.

Why can the client not just check the server is awake when resuming from sleep.

If this cannot be fixed Matt can we have a button in Theaterview to Wake on Lan from sleep.  I think this is an over sight by design maybe which is why it hasnt been fixed?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Client waking the server
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »

A MC Client is supposed to wake the server when it comes out of sleep. There is evidence that it tries. But it doesn't work.

This has been discussed before: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98059.0  There are other threads as well.

I believe there was some work done on it, but something is still preventing it from working. It could even just be the time it takes for your Client's network adapter to wake from sleep, which means that the server wakeup process times out before a network is available. But it happens on my Client even when the Client hasn't gone to sleep, but the server has. So I don't know what the answer is.

Anyway, there are third party products that can help. Lights-Out is mentioned in the above thread, but there are others.

I just close the Client and reopen it. But I would like it to be fixed as well. I suspect it is on a list of things to do somewhere.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:42:52 am »

You would think this bug would be fixed as its a pretty logical idea to want to wake the server automatically when a client wakes.
One for the MC21 list ?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:10:25 am »

This happens to me every so often, but it is pretty rare. Occasionally I have to use Teamviewer to wake it up.

But are you saying it never wakes the media server PC up? 

Out of curiosity, have you configured magic packets to run? As you mention your machines that your clients are using, but not the server, .... I'm assuming that you are using a supported Win OS and that your server machine is not running server software or it your NAS not waking up right?

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:42:09 am »

Sorry, i hope i'm not in the wrong thread, but it seems that i have a problem related to this topic.

I don't have the problem like the threadstarter.
My client wakes up the server from sleep like it should be, BUT the server wakes up too late, so the popup window from MC (Couldn't find library....etc) appears everytime i try to start the client.

I have to click 'repeat' in the popup window to get a connection to the server.
Is there an option to increase the timeout (more seconds, before it stops trying to connect to the server) before this popup window appears?

(With Kodi it works fine)
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:45 am »

My client wakes up the server from sleep like it should be, BUT the server wakes up too late, so the popup window from MC (Couldn't find library....etc) appears everytime i try to start the client.

I have to click 'repeat' in the popup window to get a connection to the server.
Is there an option to increase the timeout (more seconds, before it stops trying to connect to the server) before this popup window appears?

(With Kodi it works fine)

That would be a great idea - better if the root problem could be solved.

BTW - mentioning that it works in another program - I think, is throwing salt on the wound.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:37:43 am »

A thing that has bugged me using JRiver for ages and i wonder if its an easy fix

My set up is

Server
Client 1 (Surface pro 3)
Client 2 ( Mini pc wired to my network)
several devices running JRemote on android

Here is an example of my problem.

My server is in sleep state, i go into bedroom and wake my bedroom client pc from sleep - MC is already running from my previous viewing earlier. The client does not wake the server.................... The only way to wake the server is to close MC20 on the client and re open.

Why can the client not just check the server is awake when resuming from sleep.

If this cannot be fixed Matt can we have a button in Theaterview to Wake on Lan from sleep.  I think this is an over sight by design maybe which is why it hasnt been fixed?

My 2 cents is....to share a folder from server to bedroom pc....open that folder before messing with MC....works 4 me
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 12:50:28 pm »

Just for clarification as an example of my issue

My client has been put to sleep with MC still open
My server has then gone to sleep
I then wake my client and it will hang as the server will not wake...... the only way to wake the server is to kill the task on the client and re open mc20 this will then open up the usual connect to server command .....

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:04 pm »

I guess maybe mine is just napping and not sleeping... ;)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »

I then wake my client and it will hang as the server will not wake...... the only way to wake the server is to kill the task on the client and re open mc20 this will then open up the usual connect to server command .....
There may be something else going on.  If MC on the client tries to connect to the server, it will send a packet to wake the server, and if nothing happens, MC on the client will time out.

The wiki has a topic on Wake on LAN (WOL).  It's not always simple to get it set up and working.  The firewalls on both machines must allow it.  The machine being woken needs to be set to allow it.  The network hardware also needs to be set to allow it.

There are lots of places it can go wrong.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »

Hi Jim

But if the client is already open ie driver is running and you wake from sleep it doesn't send the packet to wake the server. That only happens if you start MC  if MC is still open it doesn't try to wake the server

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:17:05 pm »

It may not help, but in your network adapter configuration properties dialogue, as per attached image, there is a speed setting for the WOL connection. If you try Auto or 100Mb (Mbps), does it connect faster and therefore work first time?

Mine is a bit slow also, when I first open the MC Client and the server is asleep, but it always works first time if the MC Client wasn't already running. I had mine set to "Lowest Speed Advertised", so I am going to try Auto to see if that improves the speed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 08:32:19 pm »

There are lots of places it can go wrong.

Yes there are. But if WOL works when the server is asleep, and the MC Client is started on a client PC, then it should work in other circumstances.

The example Dave uses is that when the client PC/Device is asleep, but had MC running when it went to sleep, on waking the client device it does not wake the server.

In my case I can very reliably reproduce the failure with an even simpler case;
When I am using my workstation PC with a MC Client running on it, connected to the server, if I stop using MC for long enough for the server to go to sleep, then try to use the MC Client again, it will not wake the server.

The only thing I haven't tried is not allowing the server PC to turn off the network adapter to save power, as per the attached image. I think the server will still go to sleep with this setting turned off, but power will still be supplied to the network adapter, so it should receive and respond to any wake up request. Of course, that means that the server is using a bit more power when it is in sleep mode, but if it fixes my issue, and possibly Dave's, then a little bit of power may be worth it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 12:57:55 am »

The only thing I haven't tried is not allowing the server PC to turn off the network adapter to save power, as per the attached image. I think the server will still go to sleep with this setting turned off, but power will still be supplied to the network adapter, so it should receive and respond to any wake up request.
How would WOL ever be able to work if the network card has no power?  The client would not know that and would not be able to communicate with the server.

This may not be your problem, but it's a great example of how tricky WOL can be.

There are also BIOS settings for WOL.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 03:03:41 am »

Actually Jim your comment shows just how confusing WOL setup can be!

First, WOL has been working fine from my Client to the Server except when the client is left running, and the server goes to sleep. Then the Client can't wake the Server again.

It is actually impossible to set the "Allow this device to wake the computer" flag unless the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked. Both the second and third items in that dialogue are greyed out and unavailable if the first flag is not ticked, as per my image.

Ticking the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" flag allows the computer to turn off the network adapter when it is not in use.
Ticking the "Allow this device to wake the computer" flag, which has become active when the first flag was ticked, tells the computer to set the network adapter into a low power mode, which allows it to accept Magic Packets and fully wake itself, and wake the PC.

I was testing if WOL would work better if I never allowed the PC to turn off the network adapter, even when it went to sleep. But as I suspected, unticking the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" effectively means that the adapter goes to sleep when the PC goes to sleep. The adapter is never put into the low power state required for WOL. At least, with that setting unticked my client PC could not wake the server even when I restarted the MC Client while the server was asleep.

So, my test failed, and I was not able to get an already running MC Client to start a sleeping MC Server.

Basically it appears that when a device running MC is woken from sleep, thus activating MC again, MC does not successfully send Magic Packets to wake a Server, if it is asleep.
Also, if a Client is open and connected to a Server when the Server goes to sleep as there is no activity, then the already open Client also does not successfully send Magic Packets to wake a Server.
I am assuming here that MC actually makes an attempt to send Magic Packets in either situation above.

I would have to start using a packet sniffer to confirm if the MC Client in both the above situations actually sends Magic Packets. For the moment, that is above my pay grade.  ;)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:42 am »

If a client is woken from sleep and MC is running it will not wake the server. This has always happened maybe by design or an over sight. Why cant the client when woken from sleep check to see presence of server and wake if necessary. The only way you can do this presently is to kill the task of Mc on the client and re open this will then send a packet to wake the server which isn't exactly user friendly with my family  ;D

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:54 am »

A year or so ago Hendrik confirmed that MC does not try to send a WOL under these circumstances, and that he was working on a way to integrate it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88197.msg604491#msg604491
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88197.msg605239#msg605239

Those two posts were the last word I saw on this (with Hendrik indicating that doing a WOL under these circs was more complicated than it first appeared so might be a while).  

FWIW, in my setups, any of my several clients will wake the server 100% of the time when first starting up a client instance of MC.  But, like everyone else here, if a client with a running instance of MC goes to sleep and the server goes to sleep, when the client wakes up it will not wake the server, ever.  

Given that as of a year ago MC wasn't sending packets under these circs, I think it might be sensible to assume that MC still isn't trying to WOL the server on client wake up (unless someone has seen more recent traffic suggesting this got sorted).  Unless something has changed, I think troubleshooting everyone's WOL setup is probably going to be fruitless, and this is a feature request (and one which I would heartily support).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 05:27:54 pm »

Your search mojo is strong mwillems. I remember those comments now.

Then this is now a feature request, because is an annoyance. In fact, it is an example of where a person would expect MC to do something (wake the server when the client is used), and only someone with at least a little bit of geek would understand what is going wrong. Lots of users would just say "It doesn't work",  and if they were evaluating MC, put a negative mark against it, or move on to another product.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 11:01:21 am »

Hi I know its an old thread but just want new info on this matter as cant find if its been fixed where jriver client goes to sleep and the server then goes to sleep (two pc by the way) im on build 22 .110 and client pc never wakes server like op you have to exit and re load to send the wake up command...

main reason to find out if fixed im thinking of getting mc 23 build.

many thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 07:03:15 pm »

I don't think anything has been done in this area, however in response to a recent comment;
clients that can wake up a server without a restart

Jim said;
I suppose you know about Wake On LAN.  It's not easy to set up sometimes.  There are places we could do better.

So maybe one day, or in response to this thread revival.

I would also like MC to send WOL requests when connecting on a local LAN via a local IP address directly. At the moment WOL requests are only sent when a Client connects using an Access Key, which requires an internet connection. Using the Access Key works, but it tries via the internet first, then locally, internet, locally, etc. until it works or times out. I would expect WOL to work more reliably and faster if it was all on the LAN and only tried the local IP address.

In the mean time, if you use Theatre View on the Client, the best solution is to add a "Button" in Theatre View to restart MC. Not the PC, just MC, which will force the WOL cycle to happen.
See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110183.msg768658.html#msg768658

I guess a similar thing could be done in Standard View, but then you would probably have a keyboard and mouse, so closing and restarting MC, or just loading the library again, would be easy to do and achieve the same result.

How about it JRiver? can we see some more love for the issue of waking the Server from Clients under more circumstances? Please.
Pages: [1]   Go Up