INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatible DAC's for ID  (Read 5043 times)

Jake81

• Recent member
Compatible DAC's for ID
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:40:20 am »

Hello,

I've just bought a USB ID to install on a client's NUC. I need also a DAC with SPDIF coaxial output, is there any advice on what DAC we should by.

Thanks anyway.  ;) ;) ;)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Compatible DAC's for ID
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:45:24 am »

I don't work for JRiver, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would make sure that your specific DAC is listed on the ALSA support matrix: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Make sure that the specific model and manufacturer are supported and it has a good chance of working with the Id (hard to know without testing).  By contrast, if it's not in the ALSA matrix, it is very, very unlikely to work at all.

If you have any specific models you're considering, someone here might have one and can test.

EDIT: USB Audio Class 1 and 2 compliant devices are also very likely to work (keep in mind that UAC 1 and 2 compliance is not the same as having a USB 2 bandwidth connection, it's a separate certification).

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:32:56 am »

I don't work for JRiver, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would make sure that your specific DAC is listed on the ALSA support matrix: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Make sure that the specific model and manufacturer are supported and it has a good chance of working with the Id (hard to know without testing).  By contrast, if it's not in the ALSA matrix, it is very, very unlikely to work at all.

If you have any specific models you're considering, someone here might have one and can test.
never hear about ALSA -- but probably because this is only for Linux right?  Out of curiosity it just refers to sound "cards" there are a lot of external DACS not listed .... do you mean that with the ID a Naim, Schitt, or Pacific Audio DAC probably won't work or am I really lost :)?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:30 am »

never hear about ALSA -- but probably because this is only for Linux right?  

ALSA is Linux specific and provides driver support.  Another important point I forgot to add was that Linux also natively supports USB Audio Class 1 & 2 compliant devices (mostly).

Out of curiosity it just refers to sound "cards" there are a lot of external DACS not listed .... do you mean that with the ID a Naim, Schitt, or Pacific Audio DAC probably won't work or am I really lost :)?

All USB Audio Class Compliant devices (class 1 or 2) should work, but some folks have had issues with certain XMOS models.  If the DAC is not UAC 1 or 2 compliant and is not listed in the ALSA matrix, it almost certainly won't work.  I think the Schitt devices are UAC compliant, so they'll be fine.  I know nothing about NAIM or Pac Audio.  

However, I can confirm that, for example, my Steinberg doesn't work with Linux (which is not surprising because it's not UAC class compliant, and it's not listed on the ALSA matrix).  

Welcome to the world of open source, where drivers are written for free by hobbyists and the best way to find out if something works is by trying it  ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:48 am »

thanks for the info mwillems :) and sorry to go off topic on you, Jake

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Re: Compatible DAC's for Id
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:34:50 am »

Hi, wondering if I can open this up for discussion again. I'm seriously considering replacing the laptop in my MC chain with an Id, and the concept of a separate DAC is new to me.

I see the list of ALSA devices, and they're sound cards. I think I'd need a separate unit, like an Audioquest Beetle (http://www.audioquest.com/beetle/), which I think would work. Anyone want to talk about external DACs, non-sound cards? I think I need help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
Re: Compatible DAC's for Id
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:15:05 pm »

Hi, wondering if I can open this up for discussion again. I'm seriously considering replacing the laptop in my MC chain with an Id, and the concept of a separate DAC is new to me.

I see the list of ALSA devices, and they're sound cards. I think I'd need a separate unit, like an Audioquest Beetle (http://www.audioquest.com/beetle/), which I think would work. Anyone want to talk about external DACs, non-sound cards? I think I need help.

Not all of the ALSA matrix devices are internal soundcards, many are external devices (e.g. the Steinberg UR22, focusrite models, Lynx devices, some of the m-audio devices, etc.).  Don't get hung up on the term "soundcard" many people (and some marketing literature) use the term to mean any sound device other than integrated audio (i.e. soundcard can refer to both internal and external DACs), so it's easier to focus on whether the interface is intended to be mounted inside the case or outside the case than on the term.

My "buying guide" above still holds true:  look for UAC class compliance in the device literature, and, failing that, check the ALSA matrix.  If it's not UAC class compliant and isn't in the ALSA matrix, it probably won't work with Linux, but it's worth checking amazon reviews to see if folks got it working on Linux.  Buying can be a bit confusing as not all devices that are class compliant advertise their compliance, and not all devices that advertise UAC class compliance are fully compliant. 

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

Excellent, I appreciate the new information! I had no idea that "sound card" is a broad term for DAC. I would've thought the other way around. And I see the requirements for picking one, thank you.

Now, I'll have to find some buying guides, comparison charts. My friend loves his Audioquest Dragonfly products for smartphone, and I love the price range! I wonder where I can get good reviews of devices in different price ranges.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 05:06:16 pm »

I can personally attest that the following external devices work(ed) just fine with Linux (I no longer have them all but they worked when I had them):

ODAC/O2
Fiio e7
Fiio e17
Asus U7 (with some tweaking)
Ifi Micro DSD

Of those I'd recommend the ODAC and the Ifi over the others for stereo use.  The U7 supports 8 channels which is nice to have.  The e7 and e17 were perfectly serviceable, but had some limitations especially with powerhungry cans.  Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]   Go Up