INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Settings Defaults Changes in 21.0.7  (Read 9357 times)

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
Settings Defaults Changes in 21.0.7
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:15:44 pm »

This update makes me nervous... have been running drop-out free since the changes made a few versions back to improve this.  Would hate to go back to getting drop-outs.  Why the sudden revert of settings?  Does this update also mean my external drive where my library lives will never get a rest while playing audio?  Hopefully this is an option in a menu somewhere as I don't have an issue with the hard drive wakeup causing a dropout and would prefer it sleeps when possible.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »

Why the sudden revert of settings?

Because the new defaults were causing trouble for many users. To be clear, this is only changing the defaults used automatically, it won't change any explicitly set options you defined yourself (or should not, and if it does, you can just change them back).

The disk idle change would only apply when files are being actively played (either locally or by a network client), not just when MC is sitting there not doing anything.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:02:35 pm »

Because the new defaults were causing trouble for many users. To be clear, this is only changing the defaults used automatically, it won't change any explicitly set options you defined yourself (or should not, and if it does, you can just change them back).

The disk idle change would only apply when files are being actively played (either locally or by a network client), not just when MC is sitting there not doing anything.

I use the default settings, so I should write those down and apply them after this update?  Specifically what is the list of all setting changes from last versions defaults?

My laptop is always playing music, all day every day never just sitting there not doing anything.  This is why it concerns me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 12:54:53 pm »

I use the default settings, so I should write those down and apply them after this update?

No need. If you're concerned, make a Library Backup (which saves all user-accessible settings).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Settings Defaults Changes in 21.0.7
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:49 pm »

Specifically what is the list of all setting changes from last versions defaults?

They covered it fairly well in the build notes:

3. Changed: Switched back to old Core Audio hardware buffer size presets (Hardware Default, Maximum, Maximum Power of 2).  The default is now Hardware Default as it was prior to 6/29/2015.
4. Changed: Added larger software buffering sizes (750, 1000 ms).

It was really only one setting default change. I don't think the change will apply to you at all if you have a previous build installed (it should only apply to new installs with this version or newer). But, to explain, the change was that for the past few versions of MC20 and MC21 (those released since 6/29/2015) for:
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Buffering > Hardware was Maximum.

The default for that setting is now Hardware Default, as it was for all previous versions of MC.  This was changed in June in an attempt to help users with drop-out issues. It generally didn't work, and created a bunch of new issues for other users (with more typical hardware). So, they put it back. If you suddenly start to have issues with audio playback in the newer builds, then check this setting (and try Maximum if Hardware Default isn't working right).

They also added, at my request, two additional (larger) options for Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Buffering > Software (750ms and 1s) which were previously not available. The default setting for this option, however, did not change.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:22:31 pm »

alright i'll give it a shot fingers crossed, thanks

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:54:31 pm »

Started getting drop-outs as soon as I upgraded... now what?

Isn't there a setting to have it fully read in the entire song into memory before playing it instead of this sw buffer being so small like only 1000ms of the music?  I don't mind it pre-buffering the entire song in memory at all, they aren't that big and I would prefer rock solid audio to just in timing it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:58:00 pm »

Did you try the setting for Hardware Default?  Please read other threads on this subject.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:14:39 pm »

Yes I tried that... have increased the sw buffer to 1sec and so far it seems to not be dropping out.  Is there a setting to just load the entire song into memory before playback instead of just 1 second?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 09:53:46 pm »

How frequent are the dropouts you are experiencing?

You asked about loading files into memory to play them.  I don't think this will help you at all.  But it's worth trying, and you asked so...  The setting is in:  Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Play files from memory instead of disk

If you want to be really sure that it's the new version, you can reinstall the old version and see if your dropout behavior changes.  It would be really interesting if you have NO dropouts with 21.0.6 and lots of them with 21.0.7 .  I'm not doubting.  Just saying it would be interesting.

Brian.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »

since setting 1000ms on the sw buffering it is not dropping out.  i had the play from memory already selected. all these options are a bit confusing as to what they actually do.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:17:48 am »

Hi there,

I started up MC 21.08 on Mac Mini Yosemite and discovered horrendous stuttering tried everything then though oh lets try a reboot bingo the problem has gone.  Bubble always on my mind sounds bloody brilliant and still my JRemote on iPhone iOS 9.1 working fine but alas my iPad is a no go but I'm confident a JRiver fix will be forthcoming.

Thanks JRiver, sometimes the simplest fix is a reboot.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up