INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reference Recordings Hrx file will not import to Library  (Read 3463 times)

law149

• Recent member
Reference Recordings Hrx file will not import to Library
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:17:35 pm »

I get the files stored in my high res folder on my hard drive and yet MC 20 will not import the files. I have tried importing a single file and even though the directory entry is fine it still does not recognize and import the files.  I have talked to RR and they do not know what is going on.  Any one else have this problem or know how to fix it? The files still show up when I look at the contents of the file folder but they are missed entirely by the library import program or come across as "unassigned"

44.1 HZ CD's load fine and are loaded into the Library without any problems.

Thanks but no thanks.  A forum is for help?
When no one replies to a question you know you have written a dumb*** one. No i did not know wav files did not have tags and that unassigned files were both important clues. No I do not know how to solve my problem yet but the hours I wasted have finally yielded a direction to pursue.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reference Recordings Hrx file will not import to Library
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:39:25 pm »

If you see your files under "unassigned", they have probably been imported.  One pretty good way to find them is to go to the Left Navigation Pane and find Playlists > SmartLists > Audio - Recently - Imported - This week .

That should show you everything you imported this week.  Below that in Smartlists, you'll see other Recently lists that might help also, like last 100 tracks.  Once you've found your tracks, you almost certainly need to Tag them with Album, Artist, Song title (which we call Name), etc.

You can just type it in, if it's only a few tracks.  Or you can try to automate it a bit more if you have a good number of tracks.  One decent way to automate it, is to have JRiver look at the file name and directory name and try to pull out the Album, Artist, and Song names from what's in the file and directory names.  Choose some files and then right click and go to Library Tools > Fill Properties from filename.  You can try the automatic mode and you might get lucky.  But you'll probably need to fill out a template instead, which tells JRiver which parts of the file and directory names correspond to Album, Artist, etc.  Here is a fairly long and detailed forum posting which includes a good discussion of the Fill Properties tool:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531771#msg531771

I warned you, it's a long one.  :)

The question that comes to my mind is why your WAV files aren't tagged at all.  WAV files don't support tags very well, but they normally support the absolute basics.  Personally, I wouldn't use WAV files at all because of their poor tag support.  If you have a choice in the future, opt for a more standardized lossless format like FLAC, or even ALAC.  AIFF as a last resort.  All 4 of those formats have equivalent quality with FLAC and ALAC having the best tagging support.  FLAC is recommended a lot around here.

Let us know how you do.   Good luck to you.

Brian.

law149

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:26:12 am »

Brian,

Thanks for your input and help. I just spent the last hour working with the original disks.  These are DVD R originals of Reference Recordings HRx files. I cannot find any tags on the disks.  When I right click on one of the files and then select edit tags song title, Album, artist, etc are not to be found. Logic would imply that this company sends out lots of these disks and that odds are if they lack the tags I would not be the first person to encounter this problem.

Fortunately I only have two of them so I can manually input the tags.  The first one I did imported into the MC library...but display in the album view as separate files although they are all a part of a single album description and file structure. My next learning experience.

Thanks again.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:47:54 am »

Fortunately I only have two of them so I can manually input the tags.  The first one I did imported into the MC library...but display in the album view as separate files although they are all a part of a single album description and file structure. My next learning experience.

I'm glad to hear you're getting them tagged correctly.  :)

The second disc you describe which is showing up as separate albums.  I'm assuming this is an album with more than one artist on it.  If so, this is a common thing in JRiver and you just need to know what to do.  This is most common for compilation albums, but you can also see this on things like Classical collections.  I have an album with Rachmaninoff and Liszt on the same CD.  It had the same problem until I fixed it.

The short answer is, for these types of albums, you need to set the field named [Album Artist] to have a value.  It's common to use several different values for this:

1.  (Multiple Artists)
the ( ) are used to make that sort *before* any other artists.  They aren't special; just used for sorting purposes.
2.  Various
3.  A name that makes sense for the compilation.  For DJ type compilations it's common to use the DJ's name for Album Artist.

Select all the files from this album.  It may be easiest to do this in a files view and to find the files via their file path.  Then open the Tagging Pane (alt-enter).  Finally, fill out the Album Artist field.  If you have them all selected, it will fill them all out at once.  You might need to show more tags to show the Album Artist tag.  Click the upper left corner for options on showing more tags.

Here's the wiki entry on this subject.  It covers it pretty completely:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Good luck!

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:22 am »

I have an album with Rachmaninoff and Liszt on the same CD.  It had the same problem until I fixed it.

off topic but...

Brian is that S.Rachmaninoff....or....I have been looking for a cd by an artist with that name but am having no luck....I had forgotten about it till i read it here. thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »

Tao:  I'm very unsophisticated in my knowledge of Classical music.  I'm not even sure I spelled Rachmaninoff correctly.  Here's the CD in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Concerto-3-Humgarian-Fantasy/dp/B00000299D

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:46:45 pm »

yea I'm with you. but years ago had heard something by someone with that name so been looking again for it....thanks for the link, going to library later this week will do some investigating on line with them now....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

law149

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:29:22 pm »

Brian,

Thanks for your further help. I will try the Album artist field and see if I can get the parts back into one file.  On another note, I heard back from the music company and they verified that there were  limited fields in wav files but they only provide the track title. Their fix is to do the manual process of tagging.  Seems strange they would only provide that one piece of information.  They were not knowledgeable at all with JRiver. Some education to them may at least garner a few more licenses of MC.

Thanks again.

law149

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 07:34:15 pm »

Short addition. I have one album that is three songs on two dvd r disks. One and three import fine, it skips over two saying that it was worked with before so it does not import. I made sure that the tags were identical for all three so that it would not skip the track because it was not tagged like the other two.  Any Idea what I have done?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:12 pm »

^ It's possible you imported that file once before and then deleted it.  MC ignores files that have been deleted previously.  You can turn off that behavior though!

Tools > Options > Library & Files > Configure auto import > Tasks > ignore files previously removed from library

Uncheck that option and it will import files you have removed before.  If that's not it, I'd need some more information to try to figure it out.

Good luck.

Brian.

law149

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:24:50 am »

Brian,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!

Success all the way around.........your help and guidance was terrific.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 09:45:10 am »

Great.  :)  I'm glad you've got it all working.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up