INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make JRiver to prefer FLAC to MP3 files?  (Read 3724 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
How to make JRiver to prefer FLAC to MP3 files?
« on: September 07, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »

Hello,
I have lots of albums both in MP3 and in FLAC versions - that Jrievr groups into the same album. Is there a way to make JRiver prefer FLACs?
I could simply only import the FLAC files but then I'd miss the MP3's I don't have a FLAC version of...

Thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to make JRiver to prefer FLAC to MP3 files?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:26:07 pm »

For me, the task here is to find the MP3s that are *duplicates* of the FLACs, and get rid of the MP3 versions from MC's library.  One way to do this is to use the built in Smartlist at:

Playlists > SmartLists > Audio - Tasks - Possible Duplicates

Then sort that list by Artist, Album, File Type, and Track #.  Click those in reverse order, going right to left and it should sort as I wrote it left to right.  That's how MC's sorting works:  You have to select the order in reverse.

Once you've done that, you can go through and select and delete all of the MP3 versions that are exact matches.  This makes it a manual process, which is better in some ways because *you* get to choose what to do.  If you have more than maybe 30 or 40 duplicate albums though, this might become kind of a long task.  Someone else might have a more sophisticated way to make this more automated.

Good luck with your task.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:20:17 pm »

Do they consistently have the same metadata or is it messier than that?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:23:23 pm »

Is there a way to make JRiver prefer FLACs?

If you want to keep both the MP3 and FLAC version of a track, but always have MC play the better quality FLAC version, then investigate Stacks in MC.

Stacks allow you to group duplicate tracks together, then place one track on top of the stack, so that it is the track always played. Keeping the MP3 tracks takes up some extra disk space, but it also allows you to maintain complete albums, so you don't get gaps in an album of MP3 files, because you have a single of better quality, for example.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:45:55 pm »

Thanks Guys,
I'll try the first method...

My metadata is very closely matched, I think. And I don't want to keep MP3files that I have a FLAC version of.

Thank you for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up