INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: View Extras  (Read 58319 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
NEW: View Extras
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:38 am »

MC 22.0.22 and above allow you to view files associated with the file you're viewing.

Right click on the file and choose "View Extras".  This menu is available whenever MC finds other files alongside the primary files.

It can be used, for example, to view a PDF file that is a digital copy of the CD booklet.  Or it could be used to view artist images.

The files must be in the same directory.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: View Extras
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:02:40 am »

So far it's working well for me, I'm an easy user case since I don't make sub-sub folders for the ancillaries and I keep to normal formats

Great feature guys!

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:23:56 am »

I did mention that in the build thread, but this is a more appropriate in this topic and I apologize for the apparent cross-posting.

Most of my extras are in separate subfolders called "extras" or "scans". The content of those subfolders is accessible with JRemote, but not with this new feature using Media Player, as indicated in Jim's post. As this practice keeps my folders tidy, I wonder if this new feature could be extended to subfolders as well. It seems very strange to have this sort of behaviour asymmetry between Media Player and JRemote.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:33:03 am »

Most of my extras are in separate subfolders called "extras" or "scans". The content of those subfolders is accessible with JRemote, but not with this new feature using Media Player, as indicated in Jim's post. As this practice keeps my folders tidy, I wonder if this new feature could be extended to subfolders as well. It seems very strange to have this sort of behaviour asymmetry between Media Player and JRemote.

Coming next build:
Changed: Sidecar searching for the "View Extras" menu also looks in subfolders called "Extras" or "Scans".

Just let us know if there are other common subfolder names.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:38:12 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: Sidecar searching for the "View Extras" menu also looks in subfolders called "Extras" or "Scans".

With pleasure:

pdf
pdfs
booklet

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:15 am »

pdf
pdfs
booklet

Thanks!

I added those three.

Just let us know if there are more.

tyler69

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:06:48 pm »

artwork, cover, covers

audioriver

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:39 pm »

Art
Cover scan(s)
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 12:13:58 pm »

Alright.  I added more.  Coming next build:
Changed: Sidecar searching for the "View Extras" menu also looks in subfolders called "Extras", "Scans", "PDF", "PDFs", "Booklet", "Art", "Artwork", "Cover", "Covers", "Cover Scan", or "Cover Scans".

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:51:25 pm »

Coming next build:

wouldn't it be a lot more effective if there was a way to include all subfolders instead of all sorts of subfolders names?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »

wouldn't it be a lot more effective if there was a way to include all subfolders instead of all sorts of subfolders names?
Probably not a good idea.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 09:02:30 pm »

Yeah, I have been known to accidently drop a whole "Movies to be sorted" directory into one specific movie directory and not notice for a while. That would have made everything in the  "Movies to be sorted" directory into Extras!  :o

I like this new functionality. I'm not using Extra files of any sort yet, but would like to with some music and movies. This will make it worthwhile.

Thanks.

PS:
  • The first thing I noticed was that existing Cover Art sitting next to an audio file is included in the "Extras". That's okay, but I thought it might only show files not already shown as Cover Art. i.e. Just the extra files. That would make the functionality a bit messy though.
  • It would be nice if MC had some indication that there were extra files available. Perhaps something like the little Play icon shown against each file change color, or had a fine colored line drawn around the edge. Something that doesn't take extra space preferably. But if existing Cover Art is shown as Extras, all files with Cover Art would have the indicator, making it meaningless.
  • The next thing I noticed was that a MC22.0.22 Client wouldn't show Extras from a MC22.0.21 Server. Upgrading the MC Server didn't change this; there was no "View Extras" item on the right click menu of the MC Client.
  • I also noticed that there was no filtering of any sort, other than to exclude other media files themselves in the directory (I think). So on the Server, if I right clicked a TV Series episode or the Series name, all the Episode Cover Art was shown in the View Extras menu item, as all Episodes and their Cover Art are in the one directory. Maybe the Extras file(s) names should start with the media file filename, and the View Extras option should filter to just files that begin with the same name?
  • Finally when I viewed multiple albums for an Artist, right clicked on a track in their second album, viewed the Cover Art image, then exited the view, MC drop back to the Artist view but with the first Album selected. So the list of tracks dropped back to just those in the first Album for the Artist. It would be nice if MC returned to exactly the same state the View Extras fuction was launched from.

A good starting point, but maybe needs a little polishing.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Castius

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »

Just make the list an option you can edit. Or just use the file type as a limitation

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 11:29:31 am »

Nice feature, I like it. However, some of the downloads I purchased have "folder.jpg" and "folder.pdf", which show up as "View folder" and "View folder" in the list. Please include file extensions.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 11:36:56 am »

I like this feature too.

But I'm having trouble navigating.  Once I'm viewing an image full screen, when I click, it zooms in very far.  Then I can't zoom back out.  Right clicking gives me a menu, including "image view options", but that selection does nothing.

I was hoping to be able to navigate from image to image, or PDF, etc... file to file.  But it only seems to bring up one at a time and I can't figure out how to select more than one.

I'm not sure if this is just because I'm unfamiliar with the interface, or if it's because I'm using the Mac version, or if this is just how the current version works.

Can anyone offer guidance and/or confirm what I'm seeing?

Thanks,

Brian.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 11:47:28 am »

Just make the list an option you can edit. Or just use the file type as a limitation
Yes, we already have this code existing for the "a, an, the, le, la" article list that users can edit.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 11:47:35 am »

When an image is displayed, the first click should zoom in and the second one out.  If it doesn't, then try escape or enter.

The number keys also work when an image is displayed.  0 is the original state, 1 through 9 zoom in where the cursor is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 11:48:29 am »

I like this feature too.

I was hoping to be able to navigate from image to image, or PDF, etc... file to file.  But it only seems to bring up one at a time and I can't figure out how to select more than one.

This was a pretty good idea!

Coming next build:
Changed: When viewing a sidecar image with the View Extras menu, it will add all the images it found to the current playlist so you can switch between them like normal image playback.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 12:10:51 pm »

Nice feature, I like it. However, some of the downloads I purchased have "folder.jpg" and "folder.pdf", which show up as "View folder" and "View folder" in the list. Please include file extensions.

Coming next build we'll try it:
Changed: Added the extension to the list of View Extras menu choices.

RD James

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 11:15:56 am »

I think this menu should only appear if the filename matches the directory name.
So \Videos\Movie 123.mkv would not list any extras, but \Videos\Movie 123\Movie 123.mkv would.

Otherwise, can this be switched off?
It's just listing every single file that's in the same directory for me, even if it's unrelated.
If I right-click a movie, it gives me a list of every other movie in my library, since they're all in the same "movies" directory.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 02:57:03 pm »

I think this menu should only appear if the filename matches the directory name.
So \Videos\Movie 123.mkv would not list any extras, but \Videos\Movie 123\Movie 123.mkv would.

Otherwise, can this be switched off?
It's just listing every single file that's in the same directory for me, even if it's unrelated.
If I right-click a movie, it gives me a list of every other movie in my library, since they're all in the same "movies" directory.

I think it would make more sense, and would be easier overall, for you to put your related content into the same folders. You can use RMC. Asking to destroy this great functionality for all the other people who like it as it is is an imposition. I don't really see the devs making this an option to do it either way, which would be the best of both worlds.

RD James

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 03:42:22 pm »

I think it would make more sense, and would be easier overall, for you to put your related content into the same folders. You can use RMC. Asking to destroy this great functionality for all the other people who like it as it is is an imposition. I don't really see the devs making this an option to do it either way, which would be the best of both worlds.
I think you misunderstood my suggestion/request.
I think this could be a very useful feature to have, but only if it looks for extras, instead of blindly listing all files in the same directory as an "extra" regardless of context.

If I have:
    \Videos\Movie 1.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 2.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 3.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 4.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 5.mkv
Right-clicking any of these movies should not list all the other movies as "extras".

However if I have:
    \Videos\Movie 1.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 2.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 3\Movie 3.mkv
                   \Deleted Scenes.mkv
                   \Interviews.mkv
                   \Trailers.mkv
                   \Booklet.pdf
    \Videos\Movie 4.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 5.mkv

Then Movie 3 should display a list of extras while the others should not.

It seems more logical to do it this way, where you only create an extra directory for files which do have extras, rather than having to create a unique directory for every single video that you import - whether that's a Movie, TV Episode, or other video - in order to prevent them being listed as "extras".

blgentry

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »

When an image is displayed, the first click should zoom in and the second one out.  If it doesn't, then try escape or enter.

For whatever reason, none of that "un-zooms".  Escape, Enter, and (seemingly) double click, all exit Image viewing mode.  I wonder if this is a Mac interface difference?

The number keys also work when an image is displayed.  0 is the original state, 1 through 9 zoom in where the cursor is.

All of that works except for 0. Zero (0) does nothing.  The other keys zoom as advertised, and can be used to "un-zoom" after a click.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 04:17:38 pm »

However if I have:
    \Videos\Movie 1.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 2.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 3\Movie 3.mkv
                   \Deleted Scenes.mkv
                   \Interviews.mkv
                   \Trailers.mkv
                   \Booklet.pdf
    \Videos\Movie 4.mkv
    \Videos\Movie 5.mkv

Then Movie 3 should display a list of extras while the others should not.

I don't think that's the intention of the feature.  I think it's intended to show related media that you would VIEW while listening to Audio.  It probably should be turned off altogether for Video files.

There are other ways of grouping together related video files.  Stacks are probably the most logical.

If you disagree, then your overall suggestion must make sense for all of the use cases.  Simply asking for it to be changed, which breaks functionality for other people, but it still suits you, isn't a very friendly solution.  Perhaps you hadn't seen it from that perspective.  But that's how it appears to me because your suggestion would break essentially 100% of the cases on my system which work with the feature as it is intended to be used.

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 05:27:29 pm »

^ This raises a good point. If you use MC as a photo database you'll have folders with many jpegs or raw files. Right now View Extras builds a list of all the other photos in the folder. It should probably apply only when Media Type is Audio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:39 pm »

^ This raises a good point. If you use MC as a photo database you'll have folders with many jpegs or raw files. Right now View Extras builds a list of all the other photos in the folder. It should probably apply only when Media Type is Audio.

That's already been changed and will be coming in the next build.

Cheers.

RD James

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »

I don't think that's the intention of the feature.  I think it's intended to show related media that you would VIEW while listening to Audio.  It probably should be turned off altogether for Video files.
There are other ways of grouping together related video files.  Stacks are probably the most logical.
OK, I see what the issue is.
The only place I have been seeing this "extras" menu appear in my library has been in all of my Film/TV/Video library views, where it's listing every single movie at once, or all episodes in a TV season etc.
So you can see why that might be problematic.

The way it works right now does make sense in the context of viewing supplemental files while listening to an album, such as quick access to a booklet.
So the current behavior is fine as long as it only applies to audio files, and the list it presents is filtered to only display non-audio files.

Perhaps what I have suggested - filtering so that it only displays an "extras" list if file name = folder name - may be possible for video files though?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 08:11:19 pm »

That's already been changed and will be coming in the next build.

Cheers.

That's a little unfortunate. I was hoping to use it for video too. A lot of BluRays and DVDs come with stills and extra material. It would be nice to use an MC movie view and be able to browse those extras without having to watch the main feature.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:23 pm »

That's a little unfortunate. I was hoping to use it for video too. A lot of BluRays and DVDs come with stills and extra material. It would be nice to use an MC movie view and be able to browse those extras without having to watch the main feature.

I agree. The functionality just needs to be thought out a bit more to make it work for any media format. For example, my suggestion above:

Maybe the Extras file(s) names should start with the media file filename, and the View Extras option should filter to just files that begin with the same name?

So the movie "Die Hard" with a file name "Die Hard.mkv" would have extras named "Die Hard_booklet.pdf", "Die Hard - original poster.jpg", "Die Hard review.doc" etc., and only those files would show in the "View Extras" menu.

I do tend to put movies in their own directory though, so \movies\Die Hard\Die Hard.mkv, \movies\Die Hard\booklet.pdf, \movies\Die Hard\original poster.jpg,  \movies\Die Hard\review.doc, etc. would also work for me. But that wouldn't work with TV Episodes for a Season, which nearly always sit in one directory together. Making a directory for each episode wouldn't seem productive.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:53 pm »

I think you misunderstood my suggestion/request.
I think this could be a very useful feature to have, but only if it looks for extras, instead of blindly listing all files in the same directory as an "extra" regardless of context.

I don't think I misunderstood. Thanks for the more elaborate explanation - that is how I envisaged what you were saying. I think this is potentially a great new feature, and it's clear that many of us see ourselves using it in different ways. Fortunately we have this forum to discuss our ideas, and maybe it will take a few iterations, and possibly a few reversals, to settle on a feature set and mechanism of action that suits the most people. Our disagreements are perhaps necessary to make the feature even stronger as a finished product.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 11:04:51 am »

In v. 22.0.21 using Extras I can't move to another pic; neither PgDn/Up seem to work nor right click>Next/Prev.

Solo53

• Recent member
  • Russian fan of the JRiver MC
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 08:19:04 am »

I agree...In a music albums I use only subfolder "Art"

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 07:57:30 pm »

This is great! Thanks for the work on this.

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »

Should this work on an MC client?

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 10:59:12 am »

bump

Any ideas about the problem I stated above? Can't move forward or back in Extras (though I checked again from Images and the controls work fine).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 11:05:05 am »

In v. 22.0.21 using Extras I can't move to another pic; neither PgDn/Up seem to work nor right click>Next/Prev.

You just don't have a new enough build.

From the history:
22.0.24 (9/2/2016)

Changed: When viewing a sidecar image with the View Extras menu, it will add all the images it found to the current playlist so you can switch between them like normal image playback.

Hopefully that build will go public in a few days.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »

Thanks, I'll have to wait then...

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:07 am »

Is View Extras going to allow viewing of multiple images in tags (back cover, label, etc.)?  I always wondered why MC ignores every image in the tags except front cover.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 06:51:44 pm »

Thankyou JimH & Team,

This was the very first question I had when joining the forum/buying JRiver back in July. I posted a question without much response on how to achieve exactly this. Picture and artwork from my music albums appearing under Audio and not in Pictures library. I can see it would be useful for Video library also. Thanks heaps for this feature - now I have to upgrade to V22!!

Keep up the great work. David
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2016, 12:31:50 pm »

Should this work on an MC client?
... because it isn't working for me. (22.0.21)

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »

Doesn't work for me either - but to be useful it should.

edwarduk

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2016, 05:16:04 am »

Another vote for extras to be available on the client (at least a client on the same LAN).  I always play stuff from a client (server is fully headless, without soundcard etc).

Also I can't scroll through extras even though MC is reporting the files. (running version 22.22.0.21).

Edward

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »

Excellent feature.  I have been using a system I created myself to view all my album artwork for some time now.

Although this is way easier and convenient, when you make changes in the next build, I think it might be convenient to have view sub folder/then view all as a slideshow.  Then the album art can be displayed while your album is playing.

As this is what I can do now, also for those who like to create a PDF and view album art(Booklet) that way.

I found Cute PDF works very well, download Cute PDF (Install)
select all images in folder/right click/select print,
in print box popup / select  Cute PDF as printer
and print/your PDF Booklet is then created,this works very well.

And thanks to Jim /I mentioned a while back about  more features for the Audio enthusiast,and I am seeing that in MC22 / so I wish to say, it is always appreciated

Thank you

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 07:59:53 am »

Finally, been waiting for this, the #1 reason is so I can associate wiki album info pages to their respective albums in my collection. The feature is absolute killer for gleaming info about albums.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »

Finally, been waiting for this, the #1 reason is so I can associate wiki album info pages to their respective albums in my collection. The feature is absolute killer for gleaming info about albums.
Actually, JRiver has had that specific capability for years, without any need to pre-emptively download anything - see:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,83371.0.html

(And glynor should once again move that thread, to this Forum.)

ObiDynamo

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2016, 09:46:56 am »

Itīs a great feature. I really like it.
I have some albums with digital booklets (booklet.pdf). But the most albums in my collection donīt have a digital booklet.
Is it possible to create a view, that shows me only the albums, which contain booklet.pdf?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2016, 05:53:14 pm »

Is it possible to create a view, that shows me only the albums, which contain booklet.pdf?

You should be able to test for the existence of the booklet.pdf and if it is there, include the album in your view.

Try using the IsMissing command, with a dash in front of it so that it actually tests "Is Not Missing", or just test for a negative (0) result. I thought there was an IfExists command which would be easier logically, but I don't see it. IsMissing should work for you.

There is a good example on the page I linked to, for using the command in a search or view.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 07:48:42 am »

When will this be published - I'd like to try it out. 22.0.21 is still the official download version so it has not made it to the offical version as yet?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

jimwallen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »

I'd like to try the update, too. I see 22.0.23 is being used???

StevieRayVaughan

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 10:27:16 am »

Please include "Album Artworks". I have thousands of subfolders with the folder name "Album Artworks" where I store my scanned album booklets. PLZ x 1mil :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up