INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Red October HQ  (Read 14452 times)

Nikkel

• Recent member
Issues with Red October HQ
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:02:33 am »

After updating to MC 22.0.28 the player crashes when I select Red October HQ in video mode...anyone else experiencing the same issues? On a few occasions the sound of the movie will play for a couple seconds with no video output and just crash shortly after...

I've upgraded from MC 20 to MC 22 but never had any issues with Red October HQ until the latest version of MC 22 (had the older and upgraded to the latest versions of MC 22 as they were made available)

My setup is a fairly capable so don't think it's hardware related
i5 6600K, R9 280X, Z170-K, Crucial SSD (OS Win 10 Pro 64bit) plus a few TB's storage

Some guidance will be appreciated.

*edit* forgot to add when selecting Red October Standard everything plays fine

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with Red October HQ
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:41:31 am »

You might try removing the madvr directory in the plugins directory and allow MC to redownload it.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:47:49 am »

You might try removing the madvr directory in the plugins directory and allow MC to redownload it.
Thanks for your response but I'm noob when scratching deeper than what I see... could you elaborate with some detailed instructions please...? Would be much appreciated!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:04:54 pm »

Thanks for your response but I'm noob when scratching deeper than what I see... could you elaborate with some detailed instructions please...? Would be much appreciated!

Delete the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr directory and then play a video file to force MC to redownload the madvr plugin.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:08:48 pm »

Delete the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr directory and then play a video file to force MC to redownload the madvr plugin.
Thanks! Will try and revert later...

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 12:35:28 pm »

Tried to find but nada... I'm on Win 10

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:05:25 pm »

You need to change a setting in File Explorer to be able to find the AppData folder. In File Explorer, click the View tab at top then check the View Hidden Items options. You will then be able to find the AppData folder. Once you finish deleting the correct subfolder you can uncheck the View Hidden Items option again if you want.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 01:19:53 pm »

You need to change a setting in File Explorer to be able to find the AppData folder. In File Explorer, click the View tab at top then check the View Hidden Items options. You will then be able to find the AppData folder. Once you finish deleting the correct subfolder you can uncheck the View Hidden Items option again if you want.
Aaah Hidden folder... Thanks!

Followed the steps you guys gave and it came to a point where it's re-downloading madvr (adding required components I guess?) but still no win...

here's a screenshot...still no playback... go back to Red October standard...all's fine

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:20 am »

Ok so after half a day of trail and same error I rolled back to version 18 and all is fine...Red October HQ works a charm! I'll wait for the next update to see if it still persists.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:39:51 am »

I would try updating your graphics driver in the meantime.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:20 am »

I would try updating your graphics driver in the meantime.

New Crimson drivers were just released a day or two ago and I've updated it yesterday... I'll stick with version 18 for a while as everything works fine

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 02:18:53 am »

...ok updated to version 32, after rolling back to 18 and still get the same black screen with sound playing when watching a movie and after about+-10 seconds the player crashes on Red October HQ... on Red October standard everything works fine..

Win 10 64bit Pro on SSD
i5 6600K OC'd to 4.2GHz
Asus Z170-K
16gb DDR4
Asus Xonar Essence ST/A DAC
R9 280X on Crimson driver 16.9.2 Though have just seen 16.10.1 update is available so will update shortly...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 02:49:32 am »

Start playing a movie. Pause it immediately.
Right click on the screen. Select DirectShow Filters>madVR. Click on the "user interface" item in the madVR settings, then press Ctrl-J.
Take a screen shot of the whole screen, showing the madVR statistics information. Post the image here, unless you can see an obvious problem.

Note, when I did the above for some movies using MC22.0.32, the video crashed when I pressed Ctrl-J. I was doing this one my MC Client, not the Server, in case that makes a difference. If that happens to you, you will have to hit Ctrl-J before the video playback crashes because of your problem, and then pause it afterward so that you can get the screen shot. If that proves difficult you can open the madVR settings page before starting the video by going to Options>Video>Open madVR settings. Leave the madVR settings page open, but close the MC Options dialogue window. The start your video playback, click on the "user interface" item in the madVR settings, press Ctrl-J, Pause (using the space bar is easiest and quickest), then take the screen shot.

See how you go with that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 03:15:34 am »

Start playing a movie. Pause it immediately.
Right click on the screen. Select DirectShow Filters>madVR. Click on the "user interface" item in the madVR settings, then press Ctrl-J.
Take a screen shot of the whole screen, showing the madVR statistics information. Post the image here, unless you can see an obvious problem.

Note, when I did the above for some movies using MC22.0.32, the video crashed when I pressed Ctrl-J. I was doing this one my MC Client, not the Server, in case that makes a difference. If that happens to you, you will have to hit Ctrl-J before the video playback crashes because of your problem, and then pause it afterward so that you can get the screen shot. If that proves difficult you can open the madVR settings page before starting the video by going to Options>Video>Open madVR settings. Leave the madVR settings page open, but close the MC Options dialogue window. The start your video playback, click on the "user interface" item in the madVR settings, press Ctrl-J, Pause (using the space bar is easiest and quickest), then take the screen shot.

See how you go with that.

...so after first fiddling with your instructions, I didn't get the madVR option in DirectShow filters options whilst video was playing, however I forgot it was still on Red October standard BUT while video playback was paused I went into video settings and selected Red October HQ, resumed video and hey presto! got the madVR option in the filter options, did the Ctrl J, got the OSD stats and it crashed shortly afterwards... anyway here's the screenshot...

I don't understand any of the stats at all so hope some good can come of this lol!

Thanks for the instructions!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 05:58:29 am »

The MadVR statistics are showing (top line) that your display is set to 60Hz but the movie is supposed to be playing at 24Hz (see line "movie"). Your display is not switching.
You can set the display to switch in madVR under display properties, or in JRiver at Tools>Options>Video>Display Settings "Display Settings Automatic Change Mode" to "ON".

There may something else wrong with your setup, but try fixing the display made and see if that helps. Good luck

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:14 am »

The MadVR statistics are showing (top line) that your display is set to 60Hz but the movie is supposed to be playing at 24Hz (see line "movie"). Your display is not switching.
You can set the display to switch in madVR under display properties, or in JRiver at Tools>Options>Video>Display Settings "Display Settings Automatic Change Mode" to "ON".

There may something else wrong with your setup, but try fixing the display made and see if that helps. Good luck
Will give it a go a bit later when I'm home...thanks for the help, much appreciated!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 04:50:18 pm »

Display switching as CountryBumkin suggest may help, but actually I used to run my TV at 60Hz all the time until recently, and it worked fine. I am still mucking around with having madVR switch frame rates, and I will be comparing that to how MC handles it later. In fact I jus played "Star Trek into Darkness" on my MC Client PC at 60Hz no problem. So I don't think that of itself is your problem.

Your Present Queue is showing 1-1 / 8, which means as I understand it that only one frame is ever in the present queue, and usually that is a problem. There should be more. I see 6 -8 / 8 while a movie is playing. But when paused it drops to 1-1 / 8, so I think this is a symptom rather than a cause of any problem. Your Rendering times are also low for the same reason I suspect.

So unfortunately the madVR statistics don't show me anything that would be causing the problem.

The next thing I would try is resetting madVR back to its default settings. There is a batch file in the madVR plugin directory (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madVR) called "restore default settings.bat" that will do that for you. I would reboot the PC after running that, and test again.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »

getting constant and I mean almost every action most times results in a freeze crash.

My last resort is doing a fresh Win 10 install to eliminate all else and see what happens then...

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »

might not be related but I used to have similar issues a while back and just reinstalling MC fixed it.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »

might not be related but I used to have similar issues a while back and just reinstalling MC fixed it.
Dude for the past two days I've uninstalled and reinstalled MC 22 from version 22 up to the latest at least four times each trying to see what I missed following all the guidance above with no wins at all...only version 18 (of MC22) seems to be stable for me...

Doing the fresh win 10 install tomorrow to see the result.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »

Antivirus?

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 11:36:32 pm »

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

intrance

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:27 pm »

Hi Nikkel, I came across this thread because I also had issues with Red October HQ in MC20. I had just reinstalled it after not using it for quite some time and it always worked before, so I was a bit stumped.

I also came across this thread in the MC20 subforum:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,103092.0.html

Decided to try and do as mentioned:

- Download madVR from the developer's site: http://madshi.net/madVR.zip
- Extract the zip file
- Instead of installing with the "install.bat" file, just copy it all to the folder you checked earlier (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr" and let it overwrite the other files
- Play the problem file again in MC
- It will probably ask permission as it wants to run the "install.bat" file again, let it do so

That solved the issue for me. I'm not sure if it is 100% the same issue as I never got to see a bit of video, it just crashed directly. But this fixed it none the less so it's worth a shot before you try a clean Windows install.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 03:26:25 am »

Hi Nikkel, I came across this thread because I also had issues with Red October HQ in MC20. I had just reinstalled it after not using it for quite some time and it always worked before, so I was a bit stumped.

I also came across this thread in the MC20 subforum:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,103092.0.html

Decided to try and do as mentioned:

- Download madVR from the developer's site: http://madshi.net/madVR.zip
- Extract the zip file
- Instead of installing with the "install.bat" file, just copy it all to the folder you checked earlier (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Plugins\madvr" and let it overwrite the other files
- Play the problem file again in MC
- It will probably ask permission as it wants to run the "install.bat" file again, let it do so

That solved the issue for me. I'm not sure if it is 100% the same issue as I never got to see a bit of video, it just crashed directly. But this fixed it none the less so it's worth a shot before you try a clean Windows install.
Thanks! Will try and see results... I'm praying it helps cos I'm stalling the fresh install purely cos of having to reinstall all the other programs I use as well... just did a fresh install 2 months ago and Office 2013's update patches went on forever in the 1st few days lol!

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 03:28:36 am »

How do I check which version of madVR is installed?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 04:46:01 am »

How do I check which version of madVR is installed?

Open the madVR settings dialogue window. The version is shown in the bottom left corner. Mine is showing v0.90.20 on MC 22.0.32.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 04:47:03 am »

Open the madVR settings dialogue window. The version is shown in the bottom left corner. Mine is showing v0.90.20 on MC 22.0.32.
Thanks!

Z0001

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 06:32:46 am »

am also getting this behaviour and I use RO HQ. RO std works ok. My MC settings switch frames automatic. I updated to latest crimson driver too.

Seems to be a MC issue as this has been triggered only since upgrading 21 to 22 in last few days.

Any suggestions how to diagnose and resolve?
Thanks
Z

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 10:00:16 am »

We'll be updating madVR in the next build, unfortunately that sounds like a driver issue if anything, because we otherwise didn't change a thing in MC in regards to video rendering. Recent AMD drivers have been known to be a bit wonky.
Drivers often implement special hacks based on which application is running, and if the AMD driver needed a hack for MC21, it may require AMD adding a new one for MC22.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »

We'll be updating madVR in the next build, unfortunately that sounds like a driver issue if anything, because we otherwise didn't change a thing in MC in regards to video rendering. Recent AMD drivers have been known to be a bit wonky.
Drivers often implement special hacks based on which application is running, and if the AMD driver needed a hack for MC21, it may require AMD adding a new one for MC22.
Did some digging on the webz and it seems like the Crimson drivers from 16.9.2 and later is indeed the culprit and not just with JRiver but a few other well known players too...

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1782555

One of the guys at AMD posted that its a known issue so I guess it will be addressed soon...hopefully...

Apologies for all the fuss I started on the forum and thanks to all the guys who tried to help with advice but will have to wait and see if a fix is coming with new drivers otherwise I'll roll back to an earlier Crimson driver.

Z0001

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 03:48:05 pm »

Awesome. I'll stick with RO SD for now until and sort it.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:34 am »

Dunno how I missed this thread but enabling DX11 in madVR Finally solved my issue until AMD sends out a fix with new drivers.

ROHQ now works fine!

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107120.0.html

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 03:24:39 am »

The latest Crimson driver did't fix the madVR issue yet :-[ so sticking to DX11
Pages: [1]   Go Up