INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BeeWi (Bee-Wi) Bluetooth BBL125 Smart Bulb  (Read 4066 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
BeeWi (Bee-Wi) Bluetooth BBL125 Smart Bulb
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:17:51 am »

I'm testing "smart" bulbs again.  Setup is a little difficult.  Finding the instructions helped.

I bought a couple of BeeWi Bluetooth 4.0 Bulbs.  They are supposed to have a range of 20 meters (about 65 feet).  I haven't tested the distance yet.

The instructions in the box are tiny and cryptic, so I did a search online.  I eventually found this:

2.3. Pairing

Before using Smart Color Bulb, it is necessary to securely pair the Smartphone and Smart Color Bulb together. This way, only authorized Smartphone or Tablet will be able to access the bulb.

1) Download and install the BeeWi SmartPad app.

2) Fit the Smart Color Bulb into a lamp/bulb socket. For safety, turn off the power before fitting the bulb in the socket.

3) Turn on the power. The bulb will be visible for pairing during one minute after it has been powered on.

4) Open the app and press “Add Peripheral” to look for your peripheral and initiate pairing.

5) Once “BeeWi Smart Color Bulb” is listed, select it to pair it. After successful pairing, a new box is showing in the app home screen.

Start here for more information:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwFujMZI7-b8ZFQ1YW1nN2pKcEU/view

JimH

• Administrator
Re: BeeWi (Bee-Wi) Bluetooth BBL125 Smart Bulb
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:39 am »

The range seems to be about 50 feet.  Good for a Bluetooth device.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:36:47 pm »

But it's not as reliable as the Wi-Fi / ZigBee solution from Osram.  I have both set to turn on a lamp in the early morning.  The Bluetooth device is just out of range of my phone at this time, but the Wi-Fi device (Osram) turns on reliably.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:31:25 pm »

For any kind of "real" automation, bluetooth seems like a non-starter to me, due to the limited range.  If it's going to be wireless, it's got to have some reach.  Wifi seems to be the most ubiquitous protocol for wireless.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up