INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie artwork  (Read 5289 times)

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
Movie artwork
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:36:47 pm »

Hi

I'm having some difficulty getting the "Get TV & Movie Info" function to work on several movies in my library.

For some movies, when i right click and select "Get TV & Movie Info", the artwork does not change, even if i have "use image" selected.  This does not happen to all movies, just a select few.  In these cases, the movie name and meta data update as they should.  Its just the artwork that does not change.

All my movies are stored on a NAS in the same location.  Additionally, the file types for the working and non-working artwork are all mkv.  Is there anything that i am missing here, to be able to get artwork to update on these files?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »

Are you doing this on the MC Server PC? Cover Art won't get updated if you are doing this from a MC Client PC, but tags will be updated. You need to run  "Get Movie & TV Info..." on the MC Server.

If you are doing this from the MC Server, try removing the existing Cover Art by right clicking on a problem Movie, selecting Cover Art>Remove Cover Art. Once the Cover Art has been removed, run "Get Movie & TV Info..." again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 03:10:39 am »

Topic Summary
Posted on: Yesterday at 07:54:11 pm Posted by: RoderickGI
Insert Quote
Are you doing this on the MC Server PC? Cover Art won't get updated if you are doing this from a MC Client PC, but tags will be updated. You need to run  "Get Movie & TV Info..." on the MC Server.

If you are doing this from the MC Server, try removing the existing Cover Art by right clicking on a problem Movie, selecting Cover Art>Remove Cover Art. Once the Cover Art has been removed, run "Get Movie & TV Info..." again.

Hi.  Yes, i've been trying on the MC Server PC.  I've also tried to remove the cover art first.  However the problem remains.  Some additional information:

It seems that a lot of the files i am unable to change have a name that could not be found on import using the MC scraper (e.g. Ambiguoustitle.movie.2015.xyz.etc.etc.etc.).  As a result MC used simple screengrab as the artwork.  Once i click on "Get Movie & TV Info" i can search for the correct title and have the metadata update properly.  However the screengrab does not change to the associated artwork.  I've also noticed that when trying to update artwork for these files, the message that MC gives on the bottom of the program "saving changes <number> remaining" does not go away.  The number also increases by one each time i try a new file with this problem.  Perhaps the program is hanging somewhere? 

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:34:36 am »

The name of your movie should not be "Ambiguoustitle.movie.2015.xyz.etc.etc.etc", that is fine for the file name, but the movie name should just be  "Ambiguoustitle".
You said you are unable to change the name so MC scraper can find a match - why is that? Why can't you change the name?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39:13 am »

Can you add art work manually to any of these movie files?  <right click> Cover Art > Paste from clipboard

I ask because I don't know if this is a problem with saving artwork for these files, or if it's a problem with Get Movie and TV info.  If you could add artwork manually, it would rule out one possibility.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:44:45 pm »

Okay. So it sounds like you are able to change the search name for the movies, and find a correct result. It also sounds like when you do, there is a Cover Art image associated with the information displayed. So MC should be saving that Cover Art. MC uses the site https://www.themoviedb.org/ for Movie data. It wouldn't hurt to check on that site manually for one of the problem movies and see if it actually has Cover Art for it.

Also, as metadata for movies is saved in an XML file next to the movie file, it sounds like you have file and directory permissions set correctly to allow the writing of files to the folder the movie is in. The metadata, including the movie name, updates correctly so the XML file must be successfully saved to the movie folder. The Cover Art file will also be saved next to the movie file, so it shouldn't be Windows stopping the file from being saved. You should check in the movie folder to see which files have been saved next to the movie file.

As the movies you are having trouble with do have a [Name] tag equal to the file name, you could try changing the [Name] tag to the correct movie name before doing the lookup. That shouldn't make a difference though, and would be a bug if it does, since you are changing the search name and finding the correct movie information.

Certainly try what Brian suggested. But if that works, then it seems even more likely there is a bug in the standard "Get Movie & TV Info..." function. However, I am using the current public version of MC at the moment, MC21.0.66, and I used the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function yesterday, and it updated movie Cover Art correctly for the movie "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2"

So, that leaves me with two ideas:

1. If you get the message  "saving changes <number> remaining" then maybe there is a problem with the source file availability, so MC is waiting for the file to download. Or your internet is really slow. Most movie Cover Art files are under 1MB. Do you leave MC running to see if that message ever goes away, or do you close MC before it goes away?

2. Again, if that message shows up, it is possible that your virus scanner/security software is preventing the download of the Cover Art file. As the Cover Art is just a JPG file typically, the name of the file may be suspicious, or your security software may find something in the file that it thinks is a Trojan virus or similar. Check your security software to see if it blocked anything. Try downloading the full size Cover Art image from https://www.themoviedb.org/ and see if you can save it (that may not be a valid test, but worth a try to see what happens). Turn off your security software temporarily and see if the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function works correctly.

See how you go with all that, and get back to us.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:23:48 pm »

It seems that there is a similar problem over here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104178.0

You may want to read Glynor's response for ideas about the cause. Although he is focusing on file permissions, and that doesn't, on the surface, seem to be your problem. There may be some restriction on saving JPGs on your NAS though. You should consider creating a log that contains the problem, and also checking permissions on your NAS for the folder and file type.

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:04 am »

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. 

After some investigation, it appears that all the files for which the artwork does not update have permission settings preventing writing to the NAS.  Why this has occurred for some NAS folders and not others i have no idea.  I can't confirm that this is absolutely the reason for my issues, as i'm struggling to find out how to change individual folder permissions on my ReadyNAS.  However, for now i am confident that this is a NAS problem and not A JRiver one.  I will report back if it turns out i am wrong.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up