INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does new Girder support work?  (Read 14823 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How does new Girder support work?
« on: May 21, 2004, 03:28:18 pm »

4. NEW: Girder remote control plugins are supported directly by MC now. The existing MC remote control plugins are still supported.

How does this work -- i.e. how do you use one of the Girder plugins directly with MC?

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:How does new Girder support work?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:29:21 pm »

You can add input type Girder plugins through MC's "Plugin Manager" dialog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

huyazo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 06:15:01 pm »

I have tried to install the provided rc_girder.dll plugin, but it doesn't install. Only the IRMAN is visible. I am running 10.0.140.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 11:52:26 pm »

You can install Girder input plugins from the Girder site.  Then you can use those remotes inside of MC.

This makes it so MC can support far more input devices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 06:24:50 am »

Two questions:

1)  Can actions be added to the key command list in MC?  There are a couple actions I'd like to assign to the remote control buttons that aren't available in the list, but that are either possible with keyboard commands, or are available in the resource.xml file.

2)  Will the response be any better (on a slower system) than actually using Girder?  I'm unclear how much overhead Girder adds, and I have a problem with commands repeating when using the native MC remote control plugin (for an X10 MP3 remote.)  Girder does not have the repeat problem, but the control is rather sluggish on a P3 850.

Thanks,

Larry

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 11:59:14 am »

Matt (and anyone else responsable), thanks a million for adding this feature! While not as powerful as actually running Girder (I'm assuming only one device can be used at a time, and that addtional commands can't be added, I may be wrong), This allows quick and easy support for a vast number of remotes which wasn't possible before. I simply added the plugin for my Windows Media Center Edition remote, RESTARTED MC (this step is important, plugin wouldn't start without it), and I was able to "learn" buttons in MC from the MCE remote. These run about $35 from Newegg (www.newegg.com) and come with remote, USB IR receiver, and IR blaster. Only natively supported in Windows XP professional (not home) and WMCE (you can hack home to work with it). The WMCE remote isn't ideal, as it has a bunch of buttons dedicated to WMCE (these can be disabled and used, but it isn't simple), but it does give you a great, cheap USB IR receiver if you're planning on using something like a Pronto. Supporting the Girder plugins make it so much simpler to set up (I actually had the wife navigating Theater mode and making playlists for the first time).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 01:19:02 pm »

I believe JohnT at JRiver did most of the work to support Girder.  Glad it's working well for you.

huyazo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 02:38:59 pm »

I really appreciate this feature, as I have been waiting so long for remote support in MC. But, it would be nice with a bit more guidance on how to get it working.  

I imported the ATI Remote Wonder plugin (v1.1) from the Girder site. I managed to install it, and to activate it. But it didn't work. I can see that all the commands have a question mark in the status column. So I tried to use the Learn button like I am used to from Girder. But it won't learn anything.  I know that the ATI-RW is working since I am controlling Zoomplayer via Girder.  I also tried to shut down Girder (is that necessary?), but without results. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 09:11:13 am »

I imported the ATI Remote Wonder plugin (v1.1) from the Girder site. I managed to install it, and to activate it. But it didn't work. I can see that all the commands have a question mark in the status column. So I tried to use the Learn button like I am used to from Girder. But it won't learn anything.  I know that the ATI-RW is working since I am controlling Zoomplayer via Girder.  I also tried to shut down Girder (is that necessary?), but without results.
In MC's options, make sure you've got the plug-in activated.  Make sure Girder is not running.  Reboot.

huyazo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:17:46 am »

I am following your instructions, but it is not working. However, as you confirmed that Girder has to be shut down, I have to look for another solution. I use Zoomplayer with Girder and won't let go of it.

Anyone has any tips or links on how to use MC10 with Girder?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:28:01 am »

I simply added the plugin for my Windows Media Center Edition remote, RESTARTED MC (this step is important, plugin wouldn't start without it), and I was able to "learn" buttons in MC from the MCE remote. These run about $35 from Newegg (www.newegg.com) and come with remote, USB IR receiver, and IR blaster.
Is this the one you mean?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=80-100-201&depa=1

Thanks.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 08:34:50 am »

I am following your instructions, but it is not working. However, as you confirmed that Girder has to be shut down, I have to look for another solution. I use Zoomplayer with Girder and won't let go of it.

Anyone has any tips or links on how to use MC10 with Girder?
Girder setup information comes with the MC install. Look in this directory:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Extras\Girder
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 07:06:24 pm »

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=80-100-201&depa=1

Thanks.

That's it. $34 with shipping. I believe the remotes are made by Philips (or at least some come branded that way with some MCE PC's) , but these are the "generic" version. Same remote, no name. Works fine (no drivers needed) with Windows XP Professional and Windows MCE. Can be made to work with Windows XP home with the addition of a few files from the XP SP1 update (which aren't automatically installed on the Home version). Some buttons are tied to MCE functions when running in MCE, but can be made available for programming by killing off a process (I forget the name at the moment). USB IR receiver works fine with Girder, and accepts commands from most IR remotes (for those using Prontos).

TeCKis300

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 01:10:23 am »

Trying to use MC with winlirc plugin and no luck.  It loads and seems to start fine..but when I attempt to learn a command, MC will crash everytime.... :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 07:06:05 am »

Trying to use MC with winlirc plugin and no luck.  It loads and seems to start fine..but when I attempt to learn a command, MC will crash everytime.... :(
If Girder is running, shut it down.

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 08:50:42 am »

I ordered a winlirc IR receiver device so I will test it out when I get it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 05:44:37 pm »

How much, if any, of a performance advantage is there to running the girder plugins directly from MC as opposed to actually running Girder?

Thanks,

Larry

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 02:13:01 pm »

I don't think there's much difference regarding performance. It's just a lot more convenient than using Girder + MC.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 06:33:51 pm »

I don't think there's much difference regarding performance. It's just a lot more convenient than using Girder + MC.

Girder allows for programming of both "single press" and "held down" buttons -- does the MC interface allow this as well?

Thanks,

Larry

JohnT

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 11:08:37 am »

Girder allows for programming of both "single press" and "held down" buttons -- does the MC interface allow this as well?

Thanks,

Larry
You mean like Volume, FF, and Rewind? These have special handling within MC and work fine with my remote setup. Do they work ok for you with MC?

dremo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 08:39:26 pm »

Can someone send me the Remote Wonder Girder Plugin? I went to the Girder site and all they have for download is a generic X10. I tried to add that plugin through the Plugin Manager and get the error "Unsupported plugin type. The plugin can not be installed."  I couldn't find if the girder people had an archive for old plugins.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Drew

dremo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 12:39:16 pm »

Anyone??

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 03:38:32 pm »

dremo,

I "think" you need to get the file "genx10.dll" out of the "genericX10.exe" file, and THEN import it into MC.  Is this what you did?  I don't know if you need to install Girder first, but on my system, after running genericX10.exe, the genx10.dll file ended up in C:\Program Files\Girder\plugins.  Try importing this file from within MC and see if it works.

Larry

dremo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 07:42:06 pm »

Larry,
   I downloaded the Generic X10 file from Girder's site. The version was 1.4. I opened the EXE to installed the genx10.dll.  I made sure that I had Girder closed and not running in the background. I opened up Media Center 9.1.139 and went to Tools -->Plug-In Manager.  I clicked on "Add Plug-in" and navigated to the girder plugin folder. I clicked on genx10.dll and clicked Open. When I click open I get the error Message "Unsupported plugin type. The plugin can not be installed."  

I tried the same steps in MC 10 and I got the same error. Any help from the MC people would be appreciated.

Drew

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2004, 12:18:37 am »

Drew,

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly.  Does the plugin work okay with Girder?

I have noticed that the remote plugin support in MC is a bit funky at times.  I unistalled the older X10 MP3 plugin from the plugin manager, but  when I go to the "remote" page this plugin is not only still present, it actually says "active."  I have to turn the plugin off every time I go to that page.

At the moment, I went back to using Girder, which offers the advantage of being able to actually start MC from the remote when it isn't running.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up