INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Theater View  (Read 3733 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problems with Theater View
« on: December 18, 2004, 06:48:19 pm »

The following MC11 Theater View issues have been reported here many times over the last couple of months.

I appreciate that MC11 is still Alpha but I'm summarizing the problems here as a reminder since for the most part, acknowledgement of these issues has not yet been received....

1.  There is no "Selection" mode in playing now. (For deleting, moving etc). The Select context menu option appears when you click on a file in Playing Now but nothing happens - the feature is incomplete and requires mouse/keyboard interaction in standard view to resolve - no way ideal in a HTPC environment.

2.  After "Selecting" multiple files in your library and then selecting "Add Selections" nothing is added to Playing now. Adding individual Files ("Add") is fine however. This was fixed in build 113 I believe.

3.  Selecting "Play" on a song within an album adds the whole album.  "Add to playing now (end)" is checked in the options and works fine in standard view. (This might be by design but is annoying and inconsistent with how things work in Standard View).

4. Screen saver does not kick in while in theater view.

5. NEW. As of build 149, the mouse pointer does not auto hide.

Thanks in advance.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

floppydisc

• Recent member
Re: Problems with Theater View
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 05:48:53 pm »

I don't know since which version the following problem exists - I just switched to MC11 3 days ago ...

I use the Hauppauge IRRemote to control MediaCenter. I worked fine in MC10, but in MC11 it does not work anymore when switching to Theater Mode. I guess it has something to do with the window itself.
The Hauppauge IRRemote sends the commands to the active window and determines which commands to send from the name shown in the task bar.
Has anyone an idea?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 08:53:36 pm »

It may be because files were associated with mediajukebox.exe and this changed to mediacenter.exe.  Try a search here and you may find the details (about two months old now).

floppydisc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 05:41:40 am »

JimH, it works in FullScreen, StandardView, etc. - only in Theater Mode IRRemote does not recognize the window correctly which worked perfectly in MC10 ... so what has changed?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 02:33:48 pm »

It looks like some of these have been fixed.

#1 and #3 are by design, although adding #1 would be nice.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 03:57:01 pm »

Ahhh, thanks so much for the reply Matt.

#1 would certainly make Theater View perfect and I can't imagine it to be too dificult to implement would it? I look forward to seeing that soon hopefully.

I'll get the latest build and try the others.

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 06:53:21 pm »

Downloaded build 161. Mouse pointer still dowsn't autohide (point #5). It starts flashing after a few seconds and remains on the screen.

I havn't tried the other stuff yet.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 08:50:35 pm »

Yep, mouse pointer hides fine now. Thankyou.

It looks like some of these have been fixed.

The screensaver still doesn't kick in. I think the only way I could get it to work is by unchecking the option to keep Theater View in focus always. Is this the assumption?

#1 and #3 are by design, although adding #1 would be nice.

Does that mean some plans could be made soon to look into this?  ::)

Thanks once again for an awesome product. I've tried many HTPC front ends and this one is the most versitile and stable. Adding option #1 would be the cream on the pie!
Z-Wave Home Automation

sixdoubleo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 12:49:43 pm »

Ahhh, thanks so much for the reply Matt.

#1 would certainly make Theater View perfect and I can't imagine it to be too dificult to implement would it? I look forward to seeing that soon hopefully.

I'll get the latest build and try the others.

Thanks again.

Yes, #1 is huge for me.  Might I suggest the way Meedio does it (not positive but I think MCE does it this way too)....  I'll try to display it....

Code: [Select]
Playing Now
-----------------------------------
Song Title 1              < > X
Song Title 2              < > X
Song Title 3              < > X
Song Title 4              < > X

So each song has un up arrow, down arrow, and a delete.  Very simple.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 06:54:20 pm »

sixdoubleo's idea sounds like what I had in mind too.

I just also wanted to re-iterate #3, ie

3.  Selecting "Play" on a song within an album adds the whole album.  "Add to playing now (end)" is checked in the options and works fine in standard view. (This might be by design but is annoying and inconsistent with how things work in Standard View).

...This can be sooooo frustrating in more ways than one. Let me try to explain... Yesterday I spent 15-20 minutes adding songs to playing now and as I was navigating I pressed PLAY on a file instead of ADD by accident (as play appears 1st in the context menu). This added the whole album the song belongs to which is bad enough but worse still, it blew away my playing now list with songs I didn't even want played!

Why can't Theatre view obey the same "add to playing now" options set for Standard View? 

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

js

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 01:04:06 pm »

I agree. I've noticed some other bugs too.  :P

a) when you choose page down while in list-view, you advance more than just a single page. It's more like a page-and-a-half??? Same with page up.

b) in the automatic playlist "Recent Playing Nows", time ordering is wrong when it's the same day. For example:-
<date> 1:02pm
<date> 3:22pm
<date> 4:22pm
<date> 11:39am
<date> 11:55am
It looks like ording happens on the time value regardless of am/pm.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 06:52:02 am »

Hey guys. Any word on:-

(A) sixdoubleo's Playing Now editing suggestions

OR

(B) some feedback on
Selecting "Play" on a song within an album adds the whole album.  "Add to playing now (end)" is checked in the options and works fine in standard view. (This might be by design but is annoying and inconsistent with how things work in Standard View).

With regards to (B), I know I'm persisting with this and if the reason it's designed like this is due to some architectural limitation, then I'll understand (sort of) but to me, it seems that if you explicitly provide options for customizing the way songs are added to the Playing Now list but then don't adhere to it, this is a BUG. It's not like Theater View is another application. I guess I'm just harping on this because I believe MC is a great app and by addressing the little things discussed in this thread would ultimately make a world of difference to the useability of Theater View as well as it's competitiveness as a stand out HTPC solution.

Thanks in advance.
Ray.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 07:52:25 am »

Comments? Opinions? Anything?  ?
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 04:10:08 pm »

Comments? Opinions? Anything?  ?

bump!
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 04:43:02 pm »

sixdoubleo's idea sounds like what I had in mind too.

I just also wanted to re-iterate #3, ie

...This can be sooooo frustrating in more ways than one. Let me try to explain... Yesterday I spent 15-20 minutes adding songs to playing now and as I was navigating I pressed PLAY on a file instead of ADD by accident (as play appears 1st in the context menu). This added the whole album the song belongs to which is bad enough but worse still, it blew away my playing now list with songs I didn't even want played!

Why can't Theatre view obey the same "add to playing now" options set for Standard View? 

Thanks.

You're describing the double-click option, but Theater View doesn't have double-click.

It has explicit options for Play and Add.  We could add more modes, but many already complain that Theater View has too many options and menu choices.  It's a balancing act.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 04:53:42 pm »

You're describing the double-click option, but Theater View doesn't have double-click.

Yep that's right, it doesn't. But I mustn't be explaining myself correctly.... All I'm really asking is why does PLAY have to a) delete everything currently in playing now and b) add ALL songs from the ablum it belongs to?
Thanks for the reply.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 05:00:33 pm »

Yep that's right, it doesn't. But I mustn't be explaining myself correctly.... All I'm really asking is why does PLAY have to a) delete everything currently in playing now and b) add ALL songs from the ablum it belongs to?
Thanks for the reply.

Play always replaces Playing Now.  That way, if I play an album, it's all I'll hear -- even if I shuffle or loop through the list.

Play pulling in other files when starting just one file is a little shortcut because we don't figure people often want to hear just one track on repeat.  It's a grey area, but probably more good than bad.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 05:07:04 pm »

Play always replaces Playing Now.  That way, if I play an album, it's all I'll hear -- even if I shuffle or loop through the list.

Play pulling in other files when starting just one file is a little shortcut because we don't figure people often want to hear just one track on repeat.  It's a grey area, but probably more good than bad.

Thankyou. OK. So I can see this is just the way it is and I'm going to have to live with it BUT, don't you think it's strange how this behaviour is inconsistent with Standard View? I mean, if it's a grey area, why not make it configurable? There are many, many options in MC but too few for Theater View.

Thanks again for your replies Matt.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up