INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates  (Read 3525 times)

Monkou

• Change this by choosing profile
Duplicates
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:40:41 pm »

Does Media Center keep back ( or not list) the original file when it lists all my duplicates? I have 35 gigs of duplicates in my library and find it very time consuming  having to leave one of each duplicate in this list. Can I just delete all the entries or will I lose the original file as well ? 
Thank you to anyone who responds. P.S.  Way to go JR, I just love Media Center.No.1

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:45:25 pm »

All are listed. That way you can decide which you want to keep and which to delete.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 05:42:12 am »

it would be nice if it had a option to select one of them

but you may also want to include duration not all versions of the same song are the same
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 07:44:56 am »

I'm pretty sure they changed the dups feature some time ago so that when you specify 'no dups' in a view scheme or smartlist it actually leaves one of the files instead of removing all instances of duplicated files.  I'm not sure what heppens when you specify taht you want to only show dups.  You could easily test it though.
JLee

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 07:58:49 am »

will I lose the original file as well

MC has no way to know which ones you consider as originals. You should clean up your media library more often if you have 35 GB of duplicates. I suppose you didn't get them all at once.  ;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:10:42 am »

it would be nice if it had a option to select one of them

but you may also want to include duration not all versions of the same song are the same

If you have 35 Gb of dups, you aren't going to be able to say this or that duration.

I like the way it works now. You see alll dups and can select the ones you want to delete.

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 12:40:30 pm »

There is at least one more dimension regarding duplicates.

I've mentioned it before with no response. I have hundreds of files that actually are duplicates, but they are published on different albums, often one original album and on or several "bets of" or "japan releases" etc. If you are a "completionist" (as I tend to be), this is a problem. Perhaps not in terms of money, since disks are so cheap today, but in terms of keeping a list of what songs are played most etc, statistics... ...so what I'd like in MC is something similar to Windows "shortcuts" (mp3 tagging muste be unice since the track often have several different data than the original, and then put shortcuts on all albums except those that belong to the original. Note that I'm talking aboout identlcal releases here and not tracks that are produced different, with different length and so. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions are appreciated.

/R

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 12:43:56 pm »

regardless, i don't see this option changing
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 01:34:55 pm »

There is at least one more dimension regarding duplicates.

but in terms of keeping a list of what songs are played most etc, statistics... ...so what I'd like in MC is something similar to Windows "shortcuts" (mp3 tagging muste be unice since the track often have several different data than the original, and then put shortcuts on all albums except those that belong to the original. Note that I'm talking aboout identlcal releases here and not tracks that are produced different, with different length and so. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions are appreciated.

/R

Yes ..i would like what you have suggested, have already asked for it for some months now. Not a peep from the JRiver folks.

I cant stand having 15Gbs of dupes when it could be fixed with a shortcut easily (or one that MC can recgnise).

Yeah sure i can remove the dupes myself but if i want to listen to a whole album, im stuck with a few missing then arent't  I !!

Alex quipped about something similar using APL files, this would work fine with me as well for the reasons mentioned above.

Not bothered how its implemented as long as i can assign one track to be used in various albums and have MC know where to find that track, if its folder gets moved (within MC of course).

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:33:23 pm »

Any solutions are appreciated.

I mentioned this a couple times with part of the solution to allow putting playlists up in the Audio section.

My solution with the current design, which I'm going to do someday, is to create multiple playlists and playlist groups. First starting out creating an "Albums" Playlist Group. Under that create a Playlist Group for each Artist. Then finally underneath that creating a Playlist for each album of that artist. Then for each Playlist I can include non-duplicate files. For example, I can have an artist's Best Of album (playlist) that includes songs from the other albums (playlists). In the end all my albums for an artist would be at the bottom in Playlists instead of using the top Audio section. At least I think that will work.

Jeff

Listening to: 'Love Her' from 'Disclaimer II' by 'Seether' on Media Center 11
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 04:15:12 pm »

This is an example of the CUE solution:

The first one is the virtual file. I got it by importing this cue file:

PERFORMER "The Beatles"
TITLE "Best of"
FILE "D:\Music\The Beatles\Help\07 - Ticket to Ride.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ticket To Ride"
    PERFORMER "The Beatles"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 01 AUDIO

It is possible to import it several times and tag every entry differently. Cue files have currently problems with CD burning and Library Server. The original files must be used instead. Also tagging generates false error messages. MC tries to write tags to non-existent files (not dangerous, but inconvenient). I still hope that these bugs will be fixed.

... Alex quipped about something similar using APL files, this would work fine with me as well for the reasons mentioned above. ...

The thread is here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25087.0.
Perhaps it should be bumbed again.

Monkou

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 05:50:52 pm »

Does Media Center keep back ( or not list) the original file when it lists all my duplicates? I have 35 gigs of duplicates in my library and find it very time consuming  having to leave one of each duplicate in this list. Can I just delete all the entries or will I lose the original file as well ? 
Thank you to anyone who responds. P.S.  Way to go JR, I just love Media Center.No.1

Thanks to all who have responded. I am indeed greatful for all your help. Thank you

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 12:59:11 am »

Hmm playlists is something i hardly ever use in MC. I usually use the panes to find an album then send to playing now.

I'm not a fan of editing cue files to get albums right, it looks like too much work. Maybe for the one off compilation not when i got 15Gbs of dupes to reconcile.

No, what im looking for is something like this
- a way to right click a file, create a link to it. the link appears beside the orginal file.

- Be able to clone that link as many times as reqd, Then i could move that link over to the respective directory. The link would look just like a real file, maybe it would have a slightly different icon to indicate its a link.

Can anyone think of an easier way than this ?

Whether the link file is viewable outside MC or is only viewable within MC is up for debate. I'm undecided, maybe its cleaner if its only viewable in MC as its irrelevant outside MC.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 02:10:37 am »

Hmm playlists is something i hardly ever use in MC. I usually use the panes to find an album then send to playing now.

I'm not a fan of editing cue files to get albums right, it looks like too much work. Maybe for the one off compilation not when i got 15Gbs of dupes to reconcile.

No, what im looking for is something like this
- a way to right click a file, create a link to it. the link appears beside the orginal file.

- Be able to clone that link as many times as reqd, Then i could move that link over to the respective directory. The link would look just like a real file, maybe it would have a slightly different icon to indicate its a link.

Can anyone think of an easier way than this ?

Whether the link file is viewable outside MC or is only viewable within MC is up for debate. I'm undecided, maybe its cleaner if its only viewable in MC as its irrelevant outside MC.

There are a couple of apps I've used that have the ability to make 'sub selections' and virtual albums.
Personally, for this I like the APL idea. An APL is taggable, you can back it up seperately, and if its 'link' function was extended to all audio files would solve this and other problems easily.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 05:14:54 am »

APL kinda works already, but in MC it supports only Monkey's Audio. It is possible to make an APL file from a cue file that points to a single track audio file. The cue file must include the whole filename path if the APL file is going to be located in a separate folder. If the location of the main file is changed the APL file becomes useless.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 07:31:45 am »

APL kinda works already, but in MC it supports only Monkey's Audio.

Yes, that's why I said I'd like to see its functionality extended to all audio formats MC supports.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 07:55:30 am »

If the location of the main file is changed the APL file becomes useless.

I was hoping MC might be able to track this too, would become unwieldy otherwise.

So yes, MC would need to update the APL's path to the main file if the main file was moved (within MC of course).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 08:39:18 am »

Yes, that's why I said I'd like to see its functionality extended to all audio formats MC supports.

I was hoping MC might be able to track this too, would become unwieldy otherwise.
So yes, MC would need to update the APL's path to the main file if the main file was moved (within MC of course).

How about having the wish list in this order:

1. Support for other audio formats in APL. As I wrote earlier, the thread and my test file package are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25087.0. Bump it. It looks better if there are more contributors.  ;)
- I think this would be very easy to fix.

2. Fixing of the possible bugs with APL files. CD burning, Library Server, etc.
- Just normal bug fixing routine...

3. Something like MakeAPL tool inside MC. Editable and automatically updated link to the main audio file. APL link generation from any chosen audio file. Etc.
- I have no idea if JRiver would be willing to build these new items to MC11, but we could keep the topic active. Someday there will be MC12... I hope.  :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 08:56:46 am »

- I have no idea if JRiver would be willing to build these new items to MC11, but we could keep the topic active. Someday there will be MC12... I hope.  :)

OF COURSE they will.

What with MC 11 still in alpha status :)

No, MC 12 is a long way off, unless we get stuck with another 6 month product life-cycle.

mmiller683

• I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 02:03:08 pm »

I have a different question about duplicates.

My wife has an iRiver 40gb hard drive player.  It can play both ogg and mp3 files.
I have a 60gb iPod photo.  It can only play mp3 files.

Ogg files are about 2/3 the size of mp3 files for the same quality so to preserve space on my wife's player I have some duplicate albums and songs in both mp3 and ogg format. (mp3 for me and ogg for her).

I love the synchronize function within Media Center for adding new content to both of our players however it runs into a duplicate issue for my wife's player.  I created a smartlist to synchronize that selects the albums and artists she likes and added the modifier to eliminate duplicates.  The problem I have is that I have not figured out a way to get it to choose the ogg files over the mp3 files when a duplicate is found.

Right now I get an album that has one song that is mp3 and the next ogg.

I am using version 10.0.155 of Media Center.  Is there any way in this or a later version to tell the smartlist which files to choose over others?  I would love to be able to modify my list to say ogg>mp3 so that in the case of duplicates it would choose the ogg files first.

Thanks for any input
Pages: [1]   Go Up