INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing playlist m3u flakey  (Read 1176 times)

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Importing playlist m3u flakey
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:32:24 pm »

Exporting and importing of playlists seems flakey.  I'm not getting consistant behavior, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I do know if I export a playlist in MC 11.0.286 in m3u format and then I import the same file, it doesn't look or behave right in the imported playlist view.  When I select the imported playlist, it shows 0 files and doesn't give me a playlist.  And yet if I play it anyway, it does seem to play.  But sometimes it seems to play from a playlist that's been deleted.

I've also seen weird behavior with mpl playlists.  Could you please check on this?  It just seems broken to me.

Another related question.  If you highlight a playlist somewhere on your hard drive.  Right click and select "import".  Do the rules from Library/Import media apply?  It's a little confusing.  The dialog box to pick path and filetype does not come up when importing a playlist using the right mouse button.

I'm sorry if I seem confused.  I am.  I haven't played with importing and exporting of playlists much.  But I did have success in MC 10 and now what seems like should work in MC 11, doesn't.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
Re: Importing playlist m3u flakey
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 03:21:39 pm »

marko,

Thanks.  That thread did help.  I was able to drag-and-drop an imported m3u playlist from Explorer onto Media Library and it works as expected.  The playlist shows up under "Imported Playlists" and shows the correct number of files.  It plays fine as well.  But even this approach wasn't totally intuitive.  I expected to be able to drag-and-drop to the playlist, or imported playlist group.  But that didn't work, it was X'd out.  It does appear you can overwrite an existing playlist, but not create a new one this way.

I'm happy to have a work-around solution.  It seems simple now, but it was not intuitive to me at the time.  I expected to be able to do it all within Media Center.  I think it's a bug and it remains in build 289.  If you navigate from "Drives and Devices" to a desired playlist and then select import (using the right mouse button) - what shows up in the "Imported Playlists" is not correct.  The imported playlist shows up as "0 files".  Then if you press play anyway, it does not play from this playlist.  If it's not easy to fix, I would prefer this approach be disabled entirely and force the drag-and-drop method that does work.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 04:18:28 pm »

Considering how close MC 11 is to release, I would agree to not mess with it at this point.  I could see the possibility of destabilizing the codebase.  I don't think it would hurt to provide a recommended approach for importing playlists in the Help section though.  There is some discussion of it, but not enough IMO.

Chris

Tim Harvey

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 01:56:21 am »

Man... I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to import playlists.  Thankfully I found these threads and it explained the non-intuitive 'only way' to do it.

I would definately vote for the following features for the next version:
  * drag-n-drop a m3u file onto a playlist group to create a new playlist and add items to it
  * right-click -> import should populate items in a playlist even if they are already in the library (why would you not want to do this?  If there is a valid reason than either there should be an additional right-click option or it should be a configuration item in options)
  * add an 'Import Playlist' to playlist group items which will do the above
  * add an 'Add from imported playlist' to playlist items which will add the contents of an external m3u playlist to the playlist

I think if the above features were added it would make using MC with external playlists much more intuitive.

Additionally I think perhaps the 'drag-n-drop to library node' method of importing an external playlist should be placed in the FAQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up