INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jgreen on MC Pro  (Read 1237 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
jgreen on MC Pro
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:09:53 pm »

jgreen said:
... Auto-Import with additional configs, what goes where, when, etc.  That would make MC a high-end media collaboration tool, currently all the rage at $1,000 per.

JimH said:
What do you mean by that, jg?

I'll try to gather some info for a coherent presentation.  In the meantime, I'll show off my ignorance of DB functions and try to describe what I mean.

Currently, there are a handful of high-end media packages, 2d and 3d, and some of them are more or less vertically integrated.  But largely, the marketplace is waiting for a media organizer, especially when going between incompatible brands. 

The key is to beef up the functions of "agency", or tracking.  If I have a picture, and I change the picture, will you track the changes. Think of Glynor running photoshop, among other things.  How can you help him keep track of images he worked on a year ago, and all the different versions that he saved off, and the projects that he used it on, and the rights that he still retains?   Everyone's desktop becomes a stock photo bureau.  In the old days, everything got thrown away or saved off to tape and then thrown away.  Data management was 50% of the overhead.  Now it's more like 75%.

With sequential images the fun multiplies.  Glynor running an Avid can now composite within the avid,and go to SoftImage, but what if he takes the footage out of the Avid and into Maya, and then back or on to Flame or Shake?  Which version, when, etc.  A more comprehensive tracker is needed.  You guys are smart enough to come up with one.

jgreen

Re: jgreen on MC Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:49:03 pm »

JimH used the other end of his edit pen to promote my comment to a new thread.  My thoughts here build on a thread that Glynor posted some weeks back, asking how MC had been useful in unexpected ways.  Glynor, I gathered, works in still photography, or maybe video, and he had mentioned using MC to track down photos, I think.   

It strikes me that MC as currently built shows real promise in a couple of new ways.  The first is an "MC Pro" version, which isn't really for pros but enthusiasts who are clammoring on the forum for additional file formats, better image/audio editors, etc.  If MC 11 goes for $40, I think  MC Pro, everybody's dream app, would go for $75.

The second idea I mentioned in my previous post.  People who work with media are deluged with data.  I think jriver could write a media cataloguer/tracker to keep up with this.  This would take some doing, but I think jriver has genuine insight into doing this.  Auto-updating and meta-tags would be part of the package.  This so you would know that the sequence of 100 targa files, "airplane.[####].tga" and the sequence of 72 tiffs, "airplane.[####].tif" were in fact two versions of the same single shot.

There's more, there's always more.  That's about as far as my brain goes, ATM.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: jgreen on MC Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 05:52:58 pm »

I just learned this week what an Avid is.  At least I think I know what it is.

It was in another country, in a big room, several floors underground, off of this corridor:
Pages: [1]   Go Up