INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critical Error #30  (Read 12674 times)

wglover70

Critical Error #30
« on: October 08, 2005, 06:21:14 pm »

Everytime I launch Media Center, after a couple of minutes it tells me that Critical Error #30 has occured. What does this mean and how do I continue to use this program

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Critical Error #30
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 06:32:58 pm »

Please try re-installing your license.

www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

BigBoy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:37:59 am »

I've been using MC 9.1 for about 3 years, with no problems whatsoever. The problem described here prevented me from upgrading to MC 10. Recently, I began having the problem with MC 9.1. The program launches, then closes after about 15 seconds. Same with my trial copy of MC 11. The only difference is that MC 11 is accompanied by an error message. I went back and installed MJ 8, with the same result

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 08:55:29 am »

Could you try a google search for that error?  I saw at least one virus report when I did it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

BigBoy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 10:55:48 am »

I run a dual boot WXPP and W2KP fully firewalled and virus protected, so viruses are not likely the issue. There are independent installs of MC 9.1 on each OS. Both have the same problem. The only thing common to each is the computer and the MC library. I've begun to import portions of the library to help narrow it down, but it is a time consuming process. So far 9.1 has remained stable.
MC 11 chokes almost instantly when trying to import the same portions of the library. However, I'm only about 5% through the process.

BigBoy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:34:44 pm »

Time to eat some Crow. This was most definately a virus, and specifically it was the w32pate.b virus, which had infected more than 200 .exe files on my computer over a long period of time.
I can't say why it took so long to make itself known and cause problems. I don't know why it escaped detection for so long. I have small applications that I archive to CD regularly that are almost 2 years old that have the virus. I can only guess, that this virus had a delayed trigger, and was originally aquired during an OS reload, before AV software was loaded. The upside is that it was easy to remove. The other upside is that MC was the canary in the coal mine, so to speak.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:44:41 am »

You're a big man to report back!  Thanks!

Can you provide more details so next time we see the problem, the person has a better idea what to look for and how to fix it?  The name of the virus would let them do a google search.

BigBoy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 07:29:53 pm »

As the title of this thread says MC returns a critical error # 30, then closes. Some suggested that that error happens when MC's .exe is changed, which is exactly what the W32pate.b virus does.  As for other clues, there weren't many and actuallly I haven't been using the disinfected machine long enough to say minor glitches I saw were the result of the virus. Many I just chalked up to Windows being Windows, the imperfect OS that it is. I'll know better in a few weeks. One I strongly suspect though, is that most times I closed Windows, I would find one or two hung copies of Windows Explorer in the background, which had to be closed manually before shutdown. Though that would have shown up in Task Manager the 2nd or 3rd WExplorer functioned normally and transparently.

Thanks to eveyone who made suggestions.  I was already planning for life without Media Center, and that's not a good thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up