INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Library  (Read 2315 times)

lendall

• Recent member
  • Pour notre Malheur, le monde est réel
Importing Library
« on: November 05, 2005, 02:15:42 am »

Decided to buy Media Center 11 today on an impulse after big dispute with Yahoo! (owners of -- well, you know), who have redefined the word "lifetime" (as in "lifetime upgrades") to "two years."  The arrogance of some people . . .
However, after I installed MC 11 I encountered problems importing file data into the MC library.  MC searched my computer, found lots of files, started to import, then froze.  Had to exit via Win XP task manager.  Tried again searching only one drive (I have several on my computer) and, same thing:  Search found 49,000 files (seems like a lot), but succeeded in importing only five. 
What am I doing wrong?  I think it will be fun to have all of my music and images organized in one library, but first I have to know how to do it.
Thanks.
Oh:  Running XP Pro Svc Pack 2, Pentium 4, 2 gig of Ram, hundreds of gigs of free disk space on multiple hard drives.
That's my story -- as far as it went.
Intel D975XBX2
Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme 06800 2.93Ghz
MAudio Audiophile Sound Card
XP, SP3
Preamplifier:  6SN7, all stages regulated, stepped attenuator; D.T.N. Williamson Amplifier, 12SN7, 6SN7, 807W (push-pull), Acrosound transformers  initial gain stage with regulated filaments; Speakers Cary Audio (3 way); System B:  Bottlehead Paramour amps with iron upgrade, nos RCA 2A3s; Bottlehead "Sex" speakers (Fostex FE 166E's, two Dayton Audio powered 10" subwoofers).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Importing Library
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:27:24 pm »

Did you already find a way to do it?

Without knowing how your files are organized and what file formats you have it is difficult to give any advice.

You could try to right-click import from the Windows Explorer. Just select one of your media base folders at a time and do this: Right-click > Media Center > Import.  (Check this in the program options first: Tools > Options > General > Shell Options > Enable Shell Integration)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

smackafee

• Recent member
  • Keeping on the right bleeding edge
Importing is still broken
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:26:59 pm »

I was trying on another post, but I fear that, as there were a number of posts, that thread was getting lost.

I am still  frustrated with the import function.     I've tried moving the files from my NAS to my local hard drive (set up as drive R, if that matters) to get them to import.  But they don't.

The logfile on just a small number of them looks like:

9:18:21 PM: Import: Process: Starting import (JRiver Media Center 11.0.316 (registered))
9:18:21 PM: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Start
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Finish (1046 ms)
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Start
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Include: R:\Music Xition\Music2\Surf\Wipeouters, The\
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Exclude: C:\Documents and Settings\Smackafee\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Thumbnails\{A9921807-26E6-400C-A915-C050FB91FFAD}\
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetSearchFolderList: Finish (16 ms)
9:18:22 PM: Import: GetNewFiles: Start
9:18:22 PM: Import: AddFile: Found: R:\Music Xition\Music2\Surf\Wipeouters, The\Wipeouters, The - Bikini Beach - P'Twaaang!!! (2).mp3

[DELETED: a bunch of Import:Addfile:Found lines, like 30 more files]

9:18:22 PM: Import: GetNewFiles: Finish (0 ms)
9:18:22 PM: Import: MakeLibraryBackup: Start
9:18:22 PM: Import: MakeLibraryBackup: Finish (47 ms)
9:18:22 PM: Import: ImportNewFiles: Start
9:18:22 PM: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: R:\Music Xition\Music2\Surf\Wipeouters, The\Wipeouters, The - Bikini Beach - P'Twaaang!!! (2).mp3
9:18:22 PM: Import: ImportNewFiles: Finish (0 ms)

At this point, MC hangs after the INfamous ("Dusty, Dusty, this El Guapo is so famous, he's INfamous.") "The parameter is incorrect" popup.

Clicking on "Ok" doesn't do anything, the import routine is still going, and you have to kill MC with the Task Manager.

HELP!!!  ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing is still broken
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 06:48:26 am »

At this point, MC hangs after the INfamous ("Dusty, Dusty, this El Guapo is so famous, he's INfamous.") "The parameter is incorrect" popup.

Clicking on "Ok" doesn't do anything, the import routine is still going, and you have to kill MC with the Task Manager.

What happens if you rename that file?

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 02:01:28 pm »

Surf\Wipeouters, The\Wipeouters, The - Bikini Beach - P'Twaaang!!!

Are any of those backslashes in the actual file name? If so, they are illegal characters and MC won't import them.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

smackafee

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:02:11 pm »

Are any of those backslashes in the actual file name? If so, they are illegal characters and MC won't import them.

(sorry; I didn't get email-notified that anyone had posted)

No, those backslashes are the path to the file only.  There are exclamation points and commas, but these files worked great on another installation of MC11, and these filenames were actually created by that version upon renaming/relocating the freshly-tagged files.  That was on my friend's network (and NAS, by the way).

I have tried this same process on a bunch of different directories with the same result (the definition of insanity), and I'm happy to post the log from a simpler structure, if you think that would help.

smackafee

• Recent member
Re: File-renaming?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 01:12:43 pm »

Okay... now I'm totally confused.

I renamed that file and moved it to the C: drive.  It imported correctly, including the tagging information.

I moved it back to the R: drive path (still in the test folder, still renamed) and it imported fine.

I have a LOT of parentheses, hyphens, exclamation points, and the like in my music catalogue (more than 30kilosongs), all of which were fine before.

It seems like something in the import process cannot recognize what Whinedoze treats as "legal" filenames?  This problem didn't exist before... but it could certainly be the source of my issues.

Thoughts?

p.s. I really, really, really don't want to rename my files.  That would be worse than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up